Search results

1. P

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

I have a very early model A70 Pro. Haven't had any issues. Are there confirmed hardware mods that the latest manufactured versions have which could head off future issues? Or is it entirely firmware based?
  2. P

I have the HiFiman He1000 v2 stealth. I get similar output volume with low gain at -10dB, or high gain at -20dB. Besides the imperceptible SNR difference, is one config better than the other?
  3. P

I had a weird problem with updating my A70 Pro from 1.04 to 1.07. I've used my Mac before for other Topping updates with zero issues. This week on Sonoma every time I dropped the .topping firmware file on the fake topping USB drive, the LCD would say invalid firmware. This exact same process...
  4. P

With the improved specs and, IMHO, excellent front panel UI....I can't think of anything Topping could enhance. My only nit pick is maybe a premium full metal case?
  5. P

I'm not sure what they would enhance over the A70 pro SABRE?
  6. P

If anyone wants to mount your D70 Pro/A70 Pro combo under your desk or a shelf, I designed this heavy duty black powder coated steel offset bracket. It's produced by Protocase.com. When I did my order it was $84 for the bracket, and a one time setup fee of $40, for $124 total. It also works...
  7. P

One quibble with the A70 Pro firmware instructions, a standard USB-C to USB-C cable does NOT work for firmware updates. Due to what I suspect is non-USB IF compliant USB port, it needs USB-C to USB-A cable for the virtual firmware drive to appear on the computer. The A90D has the same gimped...
  8. P

Given the specs and the power draw of my HE1000se headphones, I wasn't expecting any sound difference. I wanted the better UI, hopefully running cooler, and future proof with more output power. I VASTLY prefer the new color UI and love the FFT display. I only have two minor complaints: The...
  9. P

I got my A70 Pro and D70 Sabre today. Swapping them in for my A90D/D90se. Primarily due to the improved user interface and higher potential output on the amp. I must say I really like the new color UI and controls. Way easier than the 90 series. They are also basically the same size as the 90...
  10. P

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

It's disconcerting that it sounds like a hardware failure/design flaw. Numerous early deaths of an A90D is highly unacceptable. This, along with the non-compliant USB-C port, points to poor hardware design and decision making from Topping program leadership. Sounds like costs or corners were cut.
  11. P

I got my replacement A90D back from Apos after the fatal -5 error code. Has anyone heard what's going on with all these -5 failures? I'm afraid it will happen again after my warranty is up and I'm SOL.
  12. P

Apos was super slow in replacing my A90D that died with a -5 after a few months. Took numerous emails and slow response, but they are finally shipping me back a working A90D. Hopefully it lasts longer than a few months. Super disappointed in the A90D quality, as others have had -5 deaths too.
  13. P

I've had my A90D for months without issue. Today I see the A90D has a "-5" on the front panel. Pulling power does not resolve it. Google came up empty. Is my unit dead? What does -5 mean? Edit: I was on FW 2.3, but did an update to 2.4, but the issue still persists.
  14. P

I did some digging on this issue, and a USB standards expert says: -- They've missed two 5.1kOhm resistors on CC pins. This is a spec violation, pretty common for manufacturers switching from micro USB ports. -- So it appears the A90D violates USB-IF specs. Will Topping be fixing this issue in...
  15. P

Yes, I'm a super nerd and very familiar with the physical connector shape vs. the USB or TB protocols. However, USB is designed to be a backwards compatible specification. If the A90D can't negotiate USB 2.0 speeds over a USB-C connector when using a USB-C to USB-C cable, something is broken on...
  16. P

Ok I'm very confused. The A90D has a USB-C port on it. Literally every other USB-C device I've ever seen can be plugged into a computer that has a USB-C port, and it works. But you are saying that there's a design problem with the A90D that requires a USB-C to USB-A cable for it to work...
  17. P

In my experience the A90D even with firmware v2.3 has a big compatibility problem with Thunderbolt 3 or 4 ports, regardless of OS (macOS or Windows). No matter what I do on my two Macs (Intel, M1 Pro) with TB3/4 ports the TOPPING FW drive does NOT show up. However, I have a TB4 dock which has a...
  18. P

Ah ha! So I have a Thunderbolt 4 dock for my M1 Pro Macbook Pro. That dock has a USB-A port. So I plugged in the A90D with a USB-C to USB-A cable, and viola, the Topping FW drive appeared in Finder. When I tried the A90D on my Windows computer, it is an Intel NUC with what I'm pretty sure are...
Top Bottom