Search results

1. A

Digitizing Vinyl - A special case

I did reply to the member who is from medical field, whose first language is English and who is much more likely to get to the papers required. I can remember "EKG" and that these are medical, not primarily acoustics papers. On second thought, it might not be EKG - but encefalogram. The first...
  2. A

It does not matter what we believe in. It has been scientifically proven - for SOME, not necessary all human beings. But enough to be statistically valid. Since you are from the medical field, it will be easier for you to find the papers in question. All are, IIRC, payable ( or available trough...
  3. A

I have read that the the actual pressed record is less noisy than the lacquer. As noted, no personal experience. The second claim that record itself not being the dominant source of noise is in real world debatable. There are any number of phono playback equipment devices with sharp ( high Q )...
  4. A

I must have made an error in the post above - omitted were the replies to two of your claims: 1. " Vinyl, generally anything above 10khz is going to include resonant peaks and valleys, distortion, and near 0 separation. advantage digital." Not always true. There are/were ( 80s ) cartridges...
  5. A

Any CD produced according to Red Book. True - your reply included. If I did not believe in people to generally tend towards improvement/better, I would say no. As it is, I will be GLAD if and when the digital musters the indistinguishable copy of analog. But, we are not there yet. Hopefully it...
  6. A

Please see my reply to theLughigman just above.
  7. A

There IS. Not hear directly with ears - but perceive . Mainly trough skin - particularly the region around the eyes is supposedly sensitive to sound beyond 20 kHz. There are medical studies out there - which have proven that people can distinguish between reproduction limited to 20 kHz and...
  8. A

Unfortunately, not. The closest that came to cutting equipment being available in what is now Slovenia has been in late 80s - RTV Ljubljana bought Neumann latest non DMM capable lathe. It sat a few years still in original wraps - which was the condition in which it has been resold further...
  9. A

Here I have to disagree ... strongly so. OK with everything you said - except that the best LPs ( admittedly minuscule minority of all LPs ever issued ) do throw any CD ever likely to be made out of water. It is the frequency response possible with analog records that is the clincher vs any...
  10. A

Trying to understand the turntable/vinyl world...

The P-Mount system has one BIG fly in the ointment - azimuth ( adjustment - or lack of thereof ). The only officially available ( kind of ) provision for azimuth adjustment is offered in Technics SH-90S adapter that adapts T4P P-Mount cartridge to IEC/SME socket for tonearms with removable...
  11. A

I find your posts right on the money, even if intriguing and sometimes diametraly opposite to my experience and opinion. Although the four turntables mentioned are all of decent quality, none of them even attempts to go the extra mile which is so necessary in order get the most out of the...
  12. A

Remaining Considerations on DSD

DSD does not have to be converted to PCM for the editing - not in its entirety. Back in the day, Sadie offered DAW where conversion of pure DSD into something called DSD Wide ( 8 bit PCM - IIRC ) only at the split so that it can be made at all. Not entire file as required by Merging Pyramix...
  13. A

Frequency Response Test Records

Commendable to be able to get all of the above test records. There is one inherent flaw in the above measurements - the choice of the cartridge. For those not familiar with Ortofon Vinyl Master Silver - it is the Ortofon 540 sold in the German market. It might also be 540 MK II...
  14. A

Apt Holman Preamplifier Review (vintage Audio)

No, it does not even meet the requirements set forward by the main consumer media in 1979 - that of the phonograph record. The overload margin of phono input above 5 kHz - where almost ALL of the action is ( due to the RIAA curve ) - is way too low . Too low even for normal better recorded...
  15. A

ABX test Vinyl vs CD can you hear a difference?

I think that serious need for record cleaner is here seriously overstimated in what it is actually capable of achieving. It is downright hard to make a needledrop that sounds anything comparable to the upload of the master by its owner on Youtube - particularly so if the recording originated...
  16. A

Well, I am afraid it is treatment like this that gives analog worse name than it deserves. A simple dab of the dirty ML in picture in nothing more fancy than water moistened Q-tip would produce "almost" clean looking stylus - given the proper choice of lighting, even at this rather low...
  17. A

Sorry, but your guess could not possibly be more wrong. I have many records - some bought from new, some used, some being gifted from the customers back in my CD retail days. And they cover pretty much every possible condition an analog record can possibly have - frooo NOS never played ( some...
  18. A

Question regarding technical parameters of LPs.

So, they ARE out there - somewhere ... CTC-310s, that is. This is a very good result for this test record. Then again, the cart used used to be the most expensive at the time of its introduction.
  19. A

MM vs MI vs MC

Q: What is the difference between Antonio Vivaldi and Audio Technica ? A: None whatsoever. Vivaldi wrote 4 ( in a word : four ) concertos in 3000 variations each, AT made 4 cartridge design in 3000 variations each. For both the number of variations it may vary - depending on how one counts.
  20. A

ASR Recommended Cartridges?

Well, by now you should realize that the quality in any audio gear, but particularly in transducers, does not increase linearly with increasing price. It is, unfortunately, anything but linear function ... I agree the measurements for the latest AT MC crop is pathetic. But, back in their good...
Top Bottom