Search results

1. E

The impossible decision of buying an AVR/AVP!

There are other non-Denon retailers offering the same deal but from places I've never heard before so I'm always hesitant. I'm not in a hurry so maybe Denon will have another one and who knows possibly at a lower price!
  2. E

The impossible decision of buying an AVR/AVP!

You hit the button faster than me or I would be the owner. So congratulations.
  3. E

Can you take the USB output from a Phono A2D Preamp into USB input of a DAC?

A good DAC should not degrade sound when using digital volume control. It also should not degrade the sound even when first converting to analog and then back to digital. That's not true of all DACs but hopefully anybody who is posting here is buying one of sufficient quality based on the...
  4. E

At the risk of getting thread-banned, if fidelity were your top concern (rather than fun), you wouldn't be using a turntable. DACs don't have analog input because the purpose of a DAC is to convert a digital signal to analog. I think you can see the irony of "converting" an analog signal to...
  5. E

This thread motivated me to go look at the preamp reviews on here. And there is nothing recommended under $600. It's only the Topping Pre90. I know the Schiit is on the list for $350 but it seems to do an analog to digital conversion as well. Everybody is different but I'd be more than...
  6. E

Can ethernet cables cause ground loops?

Thank you. This is the same answer I was trying to provide but yours is worded much more eloquently.
  7. E

How much power does an amplifier need with this type of range of dynamic music

Nobody here is suggesting (I don't think) that you mix PA and HiFi although many people use PA amplifiers (locked in a closet) as part of home theater systems. The thread is about how much amplifier power you need. HiFi presents challenges that PA does not. In PA, you assume very large crest...
  8. E

You are correct that I did not word my answer well. You can use shielded ethernet cables in pretty much any application. But, as you've said, if you aren't using the proper equipment, it's the equivalent of wrapping them in aluminum foil yourself. In order for the shielding to be grounded...
  9. E

Cat 6a is shielded and is rated for longer cable runs. For in-wall wiring, cat5/cat6 have a maximum distance of 100 meters which really ought to be enough for anybody. But if houses require longer runs, yeah, there might be cat6 around. I don't know what happens if you have cat6a in the wall...
  10. E

Do I need fuses in my cables or power strip?

In the US, if the device and power cord are both safety rated, its sufficient to have a fuse in the device. You don't need it at the outlet level. @Suffolkhifinut s explanation was interesting and informative for those of us in North America. The only way a surge protector helps in the event...
  11. E

Dolby Atmos Music

If you have the app for iPhone, it will show you details about the input source including channels. This might be possible with the on-screen menus as well. But the app is more convenient
  12. E

How much power does an amplifier need with this type of range of dynamic music

The crown page is largely targeted at pro audio where larger, lower-excursion speakers are used. For HiFi, we can use them to get a good estimate. This is not universally true but, in general, PA speakers are less reactive than HiFi speakers. And most PA amplifiers can drive 2 ohm loads...
  13. E

XLR Y-splitters - please confirm ok for DAC output to 2 sets of studio monitors (multi-room)

The 24dB roll off is because the Kalis are ported. Ported speakers roll off faster than sealed so you need the LPF to have a steeper slope for integration. There is great debate as for the "rule of thumb" where to set the crossover. Some argue in favor of setting at the -3dB point (which...
  14. E

The other exception is Cat 6A cabling/devices which do have a grounded sheath. If you try to use these in your home audio setup, though, the audio device will not have the ground connected on the jack so it still shouldn't matter.
  15. E

Beginner setup: DX3Pro+; AIYIMA A07; Wharfedale Diamond 220

Although I was the commenter who pointed out that towers can be used as rears, the reality is that bookshelf speakers are always a better bargain. For a tower speaker you pay for two things. The MDF enclosure and (sometimes) extra drivers which improve power handling (often at the cost of...
  16. E

XLR Y-splitters - please confirm ok for DAC output to 2 sets of studio monitors (multi-room)

Except that the SVS SB1000 Pro happens to have all of that built in. But other than that, yeah, you need MiniDSP or similar. Admittedly it's much *easier* to do it with a DAC that has subwoofer out and a room correction microphone. But the DSP on the SB1000 is pretty capable.
  17. E

Large Wide Yoga Studio Room Advice

Can you be more specific about "too directional?" How close to the corners were they placed? You wont' ever be happy with speakers placed on the floor. They have to be as close to the ceiling as possible. I don't teach Yoga. I do strength coaching out of a space about half the size of...
  18. E

You can cover that entire rear wall with half-meter thick sound paneling and you still have a group exercise room. That's a beautiful space but I'm sticking to my original comment here. One wall is glass and the other is covered with mirrors. If you use HiFi speakers, you won't be happy with...
  19. E

How tall is the room? If the ceilings are only eight feet it can be hard because you will notice the change in woofer/tweeter distance as you go from lying to standing positions. If the room is higher (10ft+) you can use a two way speaker as long as you hang it as high as possible. Getting...
  20. E

But then they also won't be able to hear the instructor tell them that it's time to go from downward dog to warrior one position and they'll be in downward dog for 45 minutes or until blood pools in their head and eyes and their brain explodes. And many people in the class will find hearing the...
Top Bottom