Search results

1. Jose Hidalgo

[Recommendations] Wall-mounted PC speaker system, up to 1K€/$?

Hi everybody, I'm currently designing my future PC desk setup, and besides performance, I'd like it to be as clean as possible visually. For example, the large 45" 21:9 curved monitor (3440x1440) will be wall-mounted, so no visible foot/feet, and no visible cables either: it will just 'float'...
  2. Jose Hidalgo

Portable DAC+Headphone Amp for terrace use

Hi everybody, My wife wants to listen to our headphones outside in our terrace, with her Android smartphone as source (Xiaomi Redmi 9 Pro with MIUI 12.5). So I've been looking for a portable DAC+Headphone Amp, for 100 €/$ max. Requirements: It needs of course to be powered by the smartphone...
  3. Jose Hidalgo

Help repairing a song with IZotope RX

Hi everybody. I've been trying this for quite a long time, unsuccessfully, so here goes. One of my favorite songs is "Lo Fang - You're the One that I Want" : https://www.deezer.com/fr/playlist/6892790764 Unfortunately, that song has a disturbing hum all along. The hum can be easily heard with...
  4. Jose Hidalgo

Are there any decent Sundara alternatives for my taste?

Hi everybody, and Happy New Year! :) As some of you know, I have a small collection of headphones (see my sig). The main ones are: HD 600, Nighthawk (Wood & Carbon), 99 Classics, Sundara (with 2020 revised earpads). I have never managed to fall in love with the Sundara, so I'm thinking about...
  5. Jose Hidalgo

Controlling Equalizer APO with a USB controller?

Hi everybody, I was thinking of using a USB controller (with a given number of sliders and knobs) to control Equalizer APO in real time. The idea is that each slider or knob could be assigned to a predefined parametric filter. Take these two controllers for instance (there are of course...
  6. Jose Hidalgo

Dutch & Dutch office & factory tour and listening session (with many pics)

Hi everybody, As you may know, Dutch & Dutch is a Dutch (duh) manufacturer of super high-end, hi-tech, active cardioid loudspeakers, their famous latest model being succintly called '8c' and costing around $12.000 a pair (more or less depending on the options, feel free to check their website)...
  7. Jose Hidalgo

Singing at 0.189 Hz - How is that even possible ?

Here's some proof : https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/lowest-vocal-note-by-a-male I knew about Tim Storms and his amazing low voice. But acknowledging that he actually 'sung' or produced a 'note' at 0.189 Hz... as demonstrated by a measurement microphone and an acoustician... I...
  8. Jose Hidalgo

How to get rid of electronic noise within the recording itself ?

Hi, Here's an example : https://www.deezer.com/fr/track/115029174 If you listen to this song loud enough, you'll notice there's a background electronic hum. You can notice it every time they're not singing. I have checked on several audio equipments, and the noise seems to come from the...
  9. Jose Hidalgo

Why is Windows sample rate still not dynamic ?

Hi guys, I've been wondering this for a while now, but I've never found a clear answer. It's one thing to set Windows bitrate to the maximum possible : in my case 32-bit since my DACs are 32-bit, so it allows for playing 16-bit or 24-bit music, with even some headroom for digital volume...
  10. Jose Hidalgo

Measuring and comparing two headphone amps' outputs

Hi all, So I have received my two replacement Topping L30 headphone amps (2102xxxx). They both work, but I have noticed a big sound difference :oops: One of them outputs a sound that could be considered as "normal", but the other one has way too much treble, to a point that I have to EQ it down...
  11. Jose Hidalgo

[New EQ Software] Mega Switcher for Equalizer APO, with 15.000 EQ presets

Mega Switcher 1.0 is now out, and it's free ! :D Check it out here : https://sourceforge.net/projects/mega-switcher/ Thanks to the many people who helped me with this app, and pushed me to make it better than I ever thought it would be ! ;)
  12. Jose Hidalgo

[PEQ game] If you only had 3 (or 4) filters...

[Warning 1 : if you don't like EQing and tweaking sound, please don't reply - thank you] So here's the setup : You already have a "great audio system" (HPs or speakers), nicely EQed and all. It perform great to your own ears. You are really happy. :D Alas, a lot of music recordings are far...
  13. Jose Hidalgo

Other EQ target curves

Hi everybody, For headphones, the most well-known EQ target curve may be the Harman one (and its variants for each headphone type : AE-OE or IE). In my experience the Optimum HiFi curve is also a good alternative when you want less bass and more midrange presence. My question would be ...
  14. Jose Hidalgo

EQ conversion between Harman and Optimum Hifi

Hi everybody, I asked Oratory1990 about this conversion, and he basically said : "create a Low Shelf filter, Fc = 105 Hz, Gain = -5.5 dB (adjustable to your liking), Q = 0.71". He also said that to perfect everything, we could slightly attenuate some higher frequencies (around 9 KHz), only by...
  15. Jose Hidalgo

[Beta-testers wanted] Multi-Automation Tool (M.A.T) for Equalizer APO

Hi everybody, I hope this is the right forum section for this. During the last few weeks, I've been working on a new tool (100% free, this needs to be said upfront) that could interest some of you. This tool is primarily intended for headphone listening, but it can easily be adapted for...
  16. Jose Hidalgo

Importing headphone measurement files into REW

Hi all, I'm having trouble importing headphone measurement files into REW. The AutoEQ website provides .csv files with measurements for almost every headphone, but REW doesn't seem to recognize that format. REW seems to require .mdat files, but I don't know where to find them. Any hints ...
  17. Jose Hidalgo

Android music player with L/R inversion ?

Hi everybody, everything's in the title I guess. Two of my headphones happen to have inverted cords. Don't ask me how that's possible. It is, I have checked thoroughly: the sound that goes through the L-labelled connector is the R one and vice-versa. Of course that has nothing to do with how...
  18. Jose Hidalgo

[Windows] Compare the loudness of two EQed signals

Hi everybody, I have two different Equalizer APO presets and I'd like to know their relative loudness for volume-matching purposes. For example by playing some pink noise and switching EAPO presets. Since I'd like some precise measurements as a clean basis, I won't be trusting my ears on this...
  19. Jose Hidalgo

Should I add the same negative gain to all my EQ presets ?

Hi guys, Currently I have 4 "main" headphones. All of them are EQed by Oratory to fit the Harman curve. Here are their preset gains : Nighthawk : -4.5 dB 99 Classics : -7.2 dB Sundara : -7.0 dB HD600 : -5.0 dB When I want to hear their default FR (which I can do instantly by pressing a...
  20. Jose Hidalgo

Left/Right inversion

Hi everybody, So, I have just received a new pair of headphones : Meze 99 Classics. They sound nice, I'm only a bit surprised because for unknown reasons L and R seem to be inverted :oops: Here are my tests : Left/Right test : The L signal ALWAYS seems to come out of the connector labelled...
Top Bottom