Search results

1. Jose Hidalgo

Hifiman Sundara vs Sennheiser HD650 – Is there an ultimate conclusion?

I've sold my Sundara and kept my HD 600. That says everything. The Sennheiser veil is real... in the HD 650, not in the HD 600.
  2. Jose Hidalgo

Tilt Tone Control for Headphones / Speakers

Rest assured that I'm not talking about a loudness adjustment control (which is another can of worms :p). Here we are talking about the same thing. My point was/is that "gently tweaking the overall tonality of an elready existing EQ" also technically depends on the volume at which you're...
  3. Jose Hidalgo

Actually we could go even further, to the 1933 Fletcher-Munson curves that most if not all modern research (including Harman and others) is based upon. There is of course no ideal Tilt filter, because that will always depend on: The volume at which a given listener is listening to his music...
  4. Jose Hidalgo

It's true. In my app people can use up to 6 dB max amplitude (up to 2 dB per filter in your case). Here's an excerpt from the manual. But I generally don't go further than 3 dB in my listening sessions (1dB per filter in your case). Also, my Tilt filter is centered around 1 KHz. No special...
  5. Jose Hidalgo

It certainly is accurate, for a parametric solution. Nice. Here's an example with 3 x 3 dB gain (total filter amplitude being 9 dB or +/- 4.5 dB). We stay within +/-1dB of the straight line, except below 30 Hz. Its beauty lies in its simplicity (only 3 HSQ filters). It would be easy to be...
  6. Jose Hidalgo

EQ apps for Android

Mega Switcher can do that, but it's Windows-only. :p
  7. Jose Hidalgo

[Recommendations] Wall-mounted PC speaker system, up to 1K€/$?

Thanks for your kind replies :) I'll have to think this through, also taking into account the total depth of the speakers + their wall mounts. I wouldn't want the speakers to be so deep that they would end up being closer to me than the curved monitor itself. I guess I'll have to set up my...
  8. Jose Hidalgo

Thank you for a neat reply :) A pair of 8010A would definitely fit my budget. Even a pair of 8020D would fit (sort of). Of course Genelec subwoofers are way too expensive (nearly 800 € for a 7040A), so I'd have to find something else. Plus in general terms I don't really 'love' Genelec's...
  9. Jose Hidalgo

Hi everybody, I'm currently designing my future PC desk setup, and besides performance, I'd like it to be as clean as possible visually. For example, the large 45" 21:9 curved monitor (3440x1440) will be wall-mounted, so no visible foot/feet, and no visible cables either: it will just 'float'...
  10. Jose Hidalgo

Massdrop X KOSS ESP/95X Electrostatic Headphone Review

Since you are talking about me, then know that I just happen to be an engineer from one of France's top schools, which happens to be the equivalent of MIT. Is that "real engineer" enough for you? Do I need to justify my studies and my knowledge just to please you? :facepalm: And BTW, when you...
  11. Jose Hidalgo

Portable DAC+Headphone Amp for terrace use

Our L30 amps are unbalanced anyway, so the only use for balanced would be for my wife (current topic), if she got a balanced dongle of course. But I don't think she'll ever need that, because her outside listening is relaxed and within reasonable sound levels. Honestly I don't think she ever...
  12. Jose Hidalgo

Of course, my reasoning would be different in the case of balanced :) But all our equipment (headphone amplifiers and headphone cables) is unbalanced, and that's a deliberate choice from the start. We don't want/need balanced. There's an ASR topic where that was discussed back in time. We are...
  13. Jose Hidalgo

My instinct (and my wife's taste) is telling me to lean towards the iBasso DC03 Pro. Recent measurements by an ASR member look pretty good: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/quick-measurement-of-ibasso-dc03-pro.44595/ Here are some reviews from Head-Fi - all pros, no...
  14. Jose Hidalgo

Thanks Jimbo. Yes, we're about wired. We're both done with Bluetooth. Just too much hassle. On paper the e1da sounds nice, since it can provide up to 180mW @ 32 Ohm and 20 mW @ 300 Ohm. However it's said to pick up 2G/4G/5G interference and it's not recommended for smartphone use. Amir didn't...
  15. Jose Hidalgo

But I have NEVER said that I was expecting a dongle to fully compare with our E30/L30 stacks. That's not the point. My wife just needs something portable that will give her enough loudness outside, with a "noticeable" quality improvement vs. her phone's 3.5mm jack, that's all. So once again: WE...
  16. Jose Hidalgo

I can't believe what I'm reading. I haven't asked for a headphone recommendation or ways to save power. :facepalm: Moving on. It was just to give an idea! I wasn't even forced to do that. I'm not going to post all the measurements here. FYI the DX1 is rated for ~40 mW @ 300 Ohm. I know about...
  17. Jose Hidalgo

Hi everybody, My wife wants to listen to our headphones outside in our terrace, with her Android smartphone as source (Xiaomi Redmi 9 Pro with MIUI 12.5). So I've been looking for a portable DAC+Headphone Amp, for 100 €/$ max. Requirements: It needs of course to be powered by the smartphone...
  18. Jose Hidalgo

iBasso DC04Pro - 2x CS43131, 3.5SE + 4.4BAL output

Specs say 280mW @ 32 Ohm (balanced). But how about unbalanced? Can't find any figures. The previous model (DC03 Pro) is said to be 98mW @32 Ohm (unbalanced).
  19. Jose Hidalgo

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

@staticV3 I have found this OTG adapter that should do the trick for less than 2 €/$ : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004898611252.html As an added bonus it supports 10 Gbps and up to 6A charging (120W).
Top Bottom