Search results

1. M

Best 'Bang for your buck' IEM - Poll

I don't understand how you think you can characterise how these IEMs behave under different length modes when looking at a single curve on a single fixture ? You're right not to assume that "harshness" has anything to do with what is happening above 5kHz - and definitely right to suggest that...
  2. M

If. Which again, could be possible, but may not need be involved as well to explain in situ differences. That's not how you should think about peaks and dips with IEMs. The Zero 2 solves a treble issue above 10kHz+ the original had, but the main length mode isn't damped in a particularly...
  3. M

Is "harsh" necessarily defined by different individuals only by the overall level of energy above 5kHz, and not either by other factors below it, or the exact distribution of peaks and dips ? The lack of operational definition for such terms is generally why I don't bother with them :D.
  4. M

New Sony Headphones

At low frequencies (up to a few hundred Hz), Rtings measure headphones on five actual Humans to test for consistency. This is not a good performance : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sony/pulse-elite-wireless What this means is that the bass response you'll get on your own head...
  5. M

It's possible, but there are other plausible mechanisms that don't involve leakage that can make two passive IEMs equalised to the same target on an ear simulator measure differently in your ears, such as ear canal volume or length issues (whether it's the length of your ear canals per se -...
  6. M

Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Headphone Review

I get that there's a relationship there, but so that I understand you well, are you suggesting that IMD can be directly predicted by harmonic distortion measurements ? My understanding is that you rather need simulations. And again, are we expecting it to be significant factor for the HD 490...
  7. M

I probably am a more "Harman playback level" kind of person I guess. I have seen ASR's recommended playlist, are there tracks in it that you think are more conductive to assess non-linear distortion ? It's still my opinion that harmonic distortion, for most reasonably well engineered headphones...
  8. M

And a different design ! Which alone could make them more or less preferable than the alternatives. But we don't know the IMD of the 490 pro, do we ? Among other articles, Harman themselves tried to evaluate the impact of various forms of non-linear distortion on listener preferences, the main...
  9. M

Shelf EQ With Zero Gain

It means that it's there for you to adjust that band to taste :D.
  10. M

How to measure IEMs cheap for use with AutoEQ?

I'm quite curious to see how your Apple dongle and the E1DA will compare in terms of FR. Looking forward to it ! CSGlinux measured his with the older-style tri-flange eartip that is no longer provided in the newer packages (but you can get it by chopping off the tube of the tips provided with...
  11. M

Genuine GRAS couplers may not always be aligned with the centre line between the standard's limits : https://www.grasacoustics.com/files/m/a/man_60318-4_ear%20simulators.pdf For the few select IEMs which I own that I think are appropriate to perform this first line of checks, the average...
  12. M

Complies with IEC60318-4 =/= same measurements. When using the ear canal extension the length mode is shifted lower, resulting in the typical resonance you see around 6-10kHz for most IEMs. That resonance in particular will be different between the two couplers, and the transfer function may not...
  13. M

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

Good suggestion, Vituix seems so fast to use in comparison to WPD that I've wondered if I could run it in Parallel on my Mac. Agreed, the variability is quite worrisome there. That being said, GRAS' own anthropometric pinna may depart a bit from some of the standards it's supposed to adhere as...
  14. M

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

I'm going to be a bit annoying but Harman didn't systematically use the 45CA. They used different fixtures in different articles and the latter articles used a custom pinna, which on aggregate produces some differences above 3kHz compared to GRAS' anthropometric pinna ...
  15. M

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

Listener wrote a review of the Dusk here : https://headphones.com/blogs/all/moondrop-x-crinacle-dusk-an-inconvenient-truth Interestingly, as an example of the sort of signal that triggers the Free DSP's noise issues, he suggests the track "Weird fishes" by Radiohead, and with the cable that I...
  16. M

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

I have the May at home and, when connected to a MacBook Pro, I've heard a few artefacts when starting / stoping playback for now, but I'm not quite sure yet if I can systematically reproduce them consistently. Regardless of price, given the importance of DSP for sound quality and where I think...
  17. M

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

The difference between the two (analog vs default USB-C) should be easily audible in a blind test though.
  18. M

Bose QuietComfort 45 Headphone Review

This is to some extent a product of coupling / assembly / pads, it's difficult to say for certain if that will be a constant feature. At high frequencies (1k Hz +), whether the feedback system is operating or not, they are extremely sensitive to coupling issues, so, when mounted on your head...
  19. M

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

Thanks. As a sidenote, since we're talking about ergonomics, I'm wondering how many IEM or headphone manufacturers are doing research in that area, or use anatomical databases to design their headphones. My gut feeling is that quite a few of them don't care quite as much as they should. For...
  20. M

Moondrop x Crinacle DUSK

Thanks a lot ! I think that I might try them and replace the cable (they'll be used with a Qudelix ideally).
Top Bottom