Search results

1. Y

Open baffle speaker pitfalls

I’ve been thinking back on this thread because I’m about to design a dipole and I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it to add small angled U frame baffles mainly as support stands. I would lean toward making the triangles hollow to sidestep the issue (and add subwoofers for low low bass). I’d be...
  2. Y

Fosi Audio's First Dual-Mode Balanced Amplifier ZA3

I see, so you do get a bit of a power bump with 2 in mono. So double price, and you get 1 or 2 more db. how is volume control handled? Is the volume knob disabled in mono mode, making it a pure amp? Then you’d use a preamp in front. If the volume knob remains active, is there a precise way to...
  3. Y

Fosi Audio's First Dual-Mode Balanced Amplifier ZA3

I might be a bit dense, but I’m not understanding all of this talk about mono. Why would you set it up in the above manner, using 2 ZA3 in mono mode instead of 1 za3 amp in stereo with proper volume control of both channels at the same time, especially if there is no power advantage in mono...
  4. Y

JBL CBT 70J-1 Review (Constant Beam Transducer)

That’s awesome. I wonder if the CBT 1000 has the same mounting resonance issue and fix.
  5. Y

End Game DIY Loudspeakers

Very interesting. One reason I was considering dipole for the living room was for looks, and because they’d be in front of windows with a view. Perhaps I should suck it up and put as large a MEH there is I can stand :). I will be building 1 or 2 pairs of MEHs anyway for other rooms. So the...
  6. Y

Great additions! That was just a quick off the top of my head list. In my defense, resonances would be covered by the smooth frequency response requirement. Do you think it’s always the case that a 15” woofer crossing over to a CD will have resonances? It’s probably the base case, but can it...
  7. Y

I concur. I would go a bit further and completely separate subwoofers into separate sealed boxes. Then you can optimize placement to avoid SBIR and get a head start on optimizing room modes. For example, dipoles are typically placed away from the front wall. The subwoofers can be placed at the...
  8. Y

Absolutely fascinating study! What do you think is the best solution to avoid the directivity blowout & ripples due to the 1/4 wave resonandes? Some brainstorms: 1. Stick with the simple flat front baffle and either deal with less powerful bass, or add traditional subwoofers. This may be the...
  9. Y

It’s nice to see some third party praise for the Bitches Brew dipoles. I was thinking about building a pair for a large living room, because they look nice and seem to have that “slam.” I also own a pair of Orion dipoles and they definitely do not have that “slam.” I replaced the Orions in its...
  10. Y

Minidsp C-DSP 8x12 V2.0 Review

That’s cool. When you’re doing the measurement grid, do you just choose locations around the drivers seat, or do you include the passenger area as well?
  11. Y

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

Nice. What would be the minimum listening distance for 2 way horns that large to sum properly?
  12. Y

best sound you ever heard

May I ask if you followed a particular design plan or posted your own design somewhere? I’m really interested in building a a similar DIY synergy horn. Thanks!
  13. Y

Competition for Danley’s Hyperion

Could a “poor man’s” competion for Danley’s Hyperion / HRE1 be: 1. Danley SM60f 2. 2+ Subwoofers 3. DSP The HRE1 appears to have a roughly SM60f sized synergy horn up top, so the lower limit of pattern control should be similar since it’s proportional to horn size. The woofers fill in the...
  14. Y

Am I crazy for abandoning Room EQ?

Yes, you are crazy :p You won’t get neutered as much with room correction if you use more than 1 sub. 3-4 subs is good, and 2 might work well with great room placement. 1 sub just can’t address your room modes and your degrees of freedom for optimization parameters are extremely limited. The...
  15. Y

omnidirectional loudspeakers = best design available

I’d love to hear the Beolab 90, even if I’d never buy $100k+ speakers. @Kal Rubinson reviewed then and really only loved the “narrow” mode, leaving omni mode for a single parenthetical sentence: “From that point on, I used Wide mode mostly to demonstrate to myself and to others just how...
  16. Y

Neumann KH150

I just found out about the KH 150s—very exciting! I currently use KH 310s as LCRs and KH 120s as surrounds, along with 3 dual opposed 12” subs. I was looking to set up another tv room, and the KH 150s could work very well there. From the specs, it looks like they slot in exactly the same place...
  17. Y

Perlisten speakers

If someone wants SOTA performance in a bookshelf sized format, this is the right tradeoff IMO. If you want the best possible bass, you’re going to want multiple subwoofers, optimally placed and room optimized anyway. Considering the target market of high end home theater users, this seems...
  18. Y

DIYSG HTM-12v1 Speaker Review

+1. This is what I would do for a 2 channel, computer audio setup.
Top Bottom