Search results

1. Foxxy

What electronic audio products you want tested most

The Elac Element amp. The special thing is that is has an interesting sub DSP part as well as being a BASH amp. And it's small and easily shipped, too
  2. Foxxy

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

This. I'm sorry if this has offended someone. It merely is tongue in cheek for the dynamic that the audiophile person would be willing to setup a literal audio coffin and the more room aesthetics focused person would seriously fight you on that issue.
  3. Foxxy

First off, sorry for the Valley girl speak. It's just, no, maybe they are fine. A lot of speakers are fine. But compared to studio monitors and headphones I love, they are not. I just find them lacking in too many ways. Also, I think we have a misunderstanding. Of course having woofers helps...
  4. Foxxy

Dude, sorry but what? Have you heard the Debut 2 series? Just no. It's a Debut 1 edited to appeal to reviewers who found the original too dark, despite that being completely untrue. It's actually worse. The Debut Reference is just a better speaker with better drivers. That said yeah, what's the...
  5. Foxxy

Confused between studio monitors for HT setup

The 308s are nice... as long as not in near field. At least MK1, I haven't read complaints about amplifier hiss for the MKII... yet. If this is truly gone, the 308s are just great.
  6. Foxxy

Low distortion in AVR vs sound quality

The best I could find is Fielder and Benjamin's paper where they focus on bass: https://www.aes.org/e-lib/online/browse.cfm?elib=5147 You can see a little snippet here: https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/audibility-of-distortion-at-bass/total-harmonic-distortion-thd I simply can't...
  7. Foxxy

Addon: I just HAD to know. So I pushed around all furniture, pulled out the speakers and turned the room into a landfill for acoustic material. Yep, fantastic imaging. The better I got the room situation, the better it was. You can get a LOT done with electronics but the washing out of the image...
  8. Foxxy

The frailty of Sighted Listening Tests

Yeah, I think I need about what, 12 years to burn through most of my biases? And that's only because I constantly challenged my hearing and went out and often was suprised my bias didn't hold up with a particular speaker. And honestly, thank god for headphones and studio monitors. Those get rid...
  9. Foxxy

Just got them. Say what you want, the WAF on them is super high, noone should have problems having those in the living room. The structured oak veneer imitation is super nice and prevents there being any feeling of cheap surface. Okay, okay, we are here for the sound, aren't we? I'll keep it...
  10. Foxxy

What are we listening to right now..

I just love this scene.
  11. Foxxy

Low distortion in AVR vs sound quality

The last line makes my head hurt. Because that depends on the playback level. Also look at those levels! 10% THD, 20% THD? This is all various grades of garbage, of course the makeup of that is hugely important. Just look at speakers. You never want any unwanted component in the sound to go...
  12. Foxxy

Merit in measuring @ 1 watt (first watt performance)?

The first Watt is actually the most important Watt in any amp. Just take a SPLmeter an measure how loud you actually listen most of the time. Often it's not even 80dB average which means you aren't even using much more than a Watt to listen to stuff. Turn it down just a few dB more and not even...
  13. Foxxy

SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speaker Review

Look, if you can't call out a speaker for being sibilant you can't call out a speaker for ANYTHING. It so offensive and jarring to the trained ear it's ridiculous. Like I said, we don't have the full testing battery. We are stuck with spinorama, distortion and waterfall. Those are NOT complete...
  14. Foxxy

Nope. 10dB drop means a tenth of the power, so merely 0.1w. The half goes for the perceived volume level. Also, what do you mean by headroom in this scenario? My numbers are slightly different: I'd say 86dB at listening position is the safe maximum. That leaves room for 10dB of dynamics, bassy...
  15. Foxxy

What are the most expensive headphones you own or have listened to?

Hahaha, I wouldn't go that far. But yeah, they were pretty underwhelming. I mean, maybe I simply wasn't used to the absolute neutrality but especially bass didn't wow me. In that regard I liked the HD800 much more. Just super tight and springy.
  16. Foxxy

Hi, I'm new

Just a bit about myself: have been into audio for almost 15 years and into objective audio ever since NwAvGuy took me by the collar, shook me and said, "You are a goddamn engineer, use your brain. You are being played!" Ah shit, he was right. I guess our love for audio simply has the tendency to...
  17. Foxxy

SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speaker Review

Oh my god, it's a sibilant tweeter!! Those are my bane, I have a tendency for Tinnitus and sharp sibilants just trigger it. It's the worst sound signature there is imo. A sibilant tweeter is simply an evil, ringing mess. If something doesn't show up in measurements that simply means the...
  18. Foxxy

Why has Audio (and maybe all hobbies) become so hostile?

I also feel the agressive anti-objective marketing has made a kind of schism. In the 70s, if you had excellent specs, everyone was ahhhing. HiFi meant the most accurate reproduction possible. And everyone agreed that measurements were invaluable. Well, cables aside, that madness started early...
  19. Foxxy

Measurements of FIIO X1 ii

Oh, I am sorry to hear that. May he rest well.
  20. Foxxy

It all depends on how loud you want to go. A difficult load like the Elac will effectively cut your safe AMP output in half (strong simplification), which is -3dB of max volume. No, this has nothing to do with it, it merely means the Elac is 2dB more efficient than your old speakers. edit...
Top Bottom