Search results

1. Jake's Dad

Bowers & Wilkins 805S Bookshelf Speaker Review

Uh, you do know car magazines review vintage cars all the time, right? And are you trolling Amir by suggesting a Kippel test is like a "youtuber's review"? I'm sorry, what's your point again?
  2. Jake's Dad

Quality of Ipod Classic with or without external DAC?

@Lolito, let me be the first to say goodbye forever. We won't be missing you . . .
  3. Jake's Dad

DSP in my system: how to (hardware and setup recommendation)

@carlob, look at the newer REL subwoofers. They all do that . . . .
  4. Jake's Dad

DSP in my system: how to (hardware and setup recommendation)

Have you considered a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0? It does everything you are asking (between pre-amp and amp, can handle two speakers + two subs) and is said to do "bit-perfect" ADC/DAC conversion. FWIW, I've had mine for a few years, love it, and I definitely can a hear a (predictable) difference...
  5. Jake's Dad

Schiit Vidar Amplifier Review

FWIW, my Vidar is dead quiet, so Amir's suggestion is certainly worth a try. A buzzy sound is not inherent in the design.
  6. Jake's Dad

Schiit Vidar Amplifier Review

I've been using a Vidar, in combination with a Saga pre-amp, for about 18 months. Very happy with the combination, and the price point. The Vidar has been rock solid, i.e., musically colorless (transparent), and the microprocessor has been working as advertised. One aspect that hasn't been...
  7. Jake's Dad

Hypex nCore vs Class A amps

@Audio89, permit me to offer you some unsolicited but sincere advice. Your recent exchanges with @SIY bring to light a very common phenomenon on ASR: people on this site are VERY science-minded, as others have said. It is seldom remarked, however, that this orientation also translates to a...
  8. Jake's Dad

Dirac and similar

No man, really, dude deserves respect, if only for getting out of his wife's or decorator's way!
  9. Jake's Dad

Dirac and similar

@Igor Kirkwood, that is a gorgeous room, both sonically and aesthetically. You've given all of us amateurs on ASR hope that there is paradise out there if we persevere!
  10. Jake's Dad

DSP

Check out the DSPeaker Antimode 2.0. It only does EQ up to about 300hz rather than full range, but of course the lower frequencies are typically the only ones that require correction. Considerably cheaper too, especially if you can find one in the aftermarket. 725 Euro. I've been super...
  11. Jake's Dad

Amazon launches lossless high-res music service!

BlueOS, bless them, are well known as having been early and effective adopters of Amazon Music. Everyone else, not so much.
  12. Jake's Dad

"Smart" power-on options for high WAF

@stevenswall, there's a setting in the Alexa companion app the tells Alexa to keep listening for a short while after being woken (sp? awoken?). So, only multiple commands, gently, can be done in one shot.
  13. Jake's Dad

"Smart" power-on options for high WAF

I use Amazon Echo and smart plugs for my wife to do the following: 1. "Alexa, turn on main stereo. Play XXXX." There is no #2. :)
  14. Jake's Dad

@NoMoFoNo, yes I have. Resolution will not remain locked above 44.1kHz, even though dan (Topping DX-7s can go to 768 kHz). Using a late-2013 MacBook Air. But to add to the above, I have no issue sending higher resolution streams via Roon or Audirvana, and with no need to change touch the...
  15. Jake's Dad

OK, you are not really an audiophile if you haven't done this:........... (fun thread)

Guys, I belatedly came upon this thread while stuck at home today during the Great Covid-19 Shut-In of 2020. I want to thank each and everyone of those who contributed or commented for the laughter and profound sense of shared humanity that reading this thread has given me. I laughed...
  16. Jake's Dad

@franspambot is right, we've all got one of these. Hi, my name's Jake's Dad, and I have a vicious null at 220hz that is driving me to heavy drinking . . . .
  17. Jake's Dad

6 months + into the deployment of Amazon Music HD and there is still no way, as far as I am aware, to stream Amzon Music "Ultra HD" from a Mac to an external DAC. Not via the Amzn web player, and not via the dedicated Mac app. So for me, it's just a bunch of marketing cr*p that means that Amzn...
  18. Jake's Dad

Spirits, what you drinking...

Cheers to you and yours! Stay safe.
Top Bottom