Search results

1. R

Spyware In Cars - It's Worse Than You Think

I would not be adverse to optional vehicle monitoring that gave me reduced premiums for sensible driving. That way I could opt in for the car and opt out for the motorbike :)
  2. R

Show us your bicycles!

Never seen a Pinion gearbox before - nice
  3. R

How Dangerous is AI?

Two (of many) entirely plausible paths: 1) Given the disturbingly high number of suicides caused by online bullying, AI could be deployed on all social media to remove the bullies. Maybe even the trolls from ASR as well. 2) Given that most of us have many sheep like characteristics, AI could be...
  4. R

Show us your bicycles!

Nice! You have to look twice to pick an e-bike these days
  5. R

Show us your bicycles!

Birthday present from my darling - 12 speed Ultegra light weight climbing weapon
  6. R

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

Macha Gharibian - Joy Ascension. This is why I love music
  7. R

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Is the 5 km (mile?) rule international? Breakdown within 5km of the coffee shop and you're on your own!
  8. R

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

10 speed electronic for training and racing, 10 speed cable Campag for a spare (most agricultural mechanism ever designed, but super smooth, unbreakable and fully user serviceable), 7 speed cable steely just because, and hopefully a single speed belt drive when I can find the right one. I'm...
  9. R

Cool bike! The one thing missing is a rear tail light with built in radar linked to a Garmin. Far too technological and many components to fail, but seriously one of the best safety additions you can have. Detects cars approaching and blinks at an changing rate to try and attract their...
  10. R

I swore I'd never go electronic shifters - I've seen too much dead electronics in my day job. After 8 years of Shimano 10 speed Di2 (wire to the levers, not wireless like the latest 12 speed) I swear I'll never go back. Perfect shifting front and rear, but the icing on the cake is no manual...
  11. R

I'm a bit left leaning, so may not reflect the views of the majority. There is only one source of funding at the end of the day ie the punter. This is either direct (as a paying user) or indirect (as a taxpayer). I'd rather my subsidies go to sustainable society benefitting stuff (ie zero...
  12. R

I'm not sure why there is the expectation that EVs will suit everyone and be 100% useful for all applications. They are one piece of the solution. Things are still developing, but the writing is on the wall https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/08/business/eu-climate-vote-energy-intl/index.html. As...
  13. R

The real trick is to get your EV into the electricity market. Yesterday the price was slightly -ve for a period, so theoretically I get paid to charge the EV. 3 hours ago it was $15,100 per MWh, so I could have sold 50 kWh for $755. Net profit for the day $756. Unfortunately there's a few...
  14. R

Cool. Can you plug it into the grid when it's parked up?
  15. R

Reading between the lines, it looks like the project had been bubbling away for years just waiting for the right political environment to start in earnest.
  16. R

Info comes from the original link posted about the reactors plus pricing on current projects I'm working on. Somewhat unfairly I excluded storage price and was quoting capital cost. If you look at storage and levelised cost of energy nuclear is still far more expensive. Batteries have their...
  17. R

Happy to be enlightened, but I couldn't find any info on currently used technologies that are using spent rods. Do you have any links you can share? The cost seems to be prohibitive when compared to burying your problems. A technology that's 'in the pipeline' is about the same as a cheque in the...
  18. R

So ... about 17x the cost of solar or wind, and no solution for the waste.
  19. R

My next car will be an EV so it won't change my reasons for buying, but would you tolerate a car that leaked half a litre of petrol every day? Maybe you would if it just evaporated and you didn't notice it disappearing.
  20. R

I'm currently commissioning an 8 MWhr battery installation and it 'loses' about 1% energy per day when not in use. Do any current EV users notice a similar loss, or is it just something you'd never notice if you use your EV every day?
Top Bottom