Search results

1. ExUnoPlura

KEF R11 Meta Tower Speaker Review

Understood. The droop at 100-200Hz and jagged rise after that looks similar to Erin's results, which is why I posted it. But likely also exaggerated by room mode issues.
  2. ExUnoPlura

Here's DIRAC of an R5 (not Meta) in a home theater room. It shows some interesting patterns pre-correction:
  3. ExUnoPlura

Me too. Well, at least for the moment. I think they are very good value and I like their aesthetics in most contemporary spaces.
  4. ExUnoPlura

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II Streamer Review

I found a paper (link dumped in the Roon thread) that shows that Chinese first-language speakers can kind of make out tonal events -6 to -12dB SNR embedded in a Gaussian background noise. Even such modest capabilities impressed me. There's some interesting work on how we discern speech (rather...
  5. ExUnoPlura

I gave a couple of minor critiques on the Roon site (note that the thread has been moved to Off Topic: Audio Science Review if you get confused). I mostly enjoy trying different styles of argument and perspective on places like Roon and Audiogon, to see what has some staying power. I also like...
  6. ExUnoPlura

Even this graphic is lousy. The red text overlaying the device is hard to read and there is a tilt to the width measurement line. If space was cramped, use a partially transparent backing block to allow readable text. Uggghhh, not high-end.
  7. ExUnoPlura

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Oregon Coast these days after Portland, Sedona, Southern New Mexico, Bay Area, Seattle... when will we settle down and stop moving around all this audio equipment?
  8. ExUnoPlura

Matrix Audio mini-i 4 Streamer Review

I've had similar firmware update oddities with hangs, etc. with the X-SABRE 3. It always comes back and updates, but on one occasion required a power cycle to get it completed (from UI) and on the second required killing the iOS app (initiated from app).
  9. ExUnoPlura

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Worked well for me. There might be a bit more diffuse imaging than other speakers I've had or have. I had them in a giant room with some treatment and a rug but also 20' ceilings and windows all around. I drove them with mono-blocked Schitt Aegirs and a Topping DAC fed via a Raspberry Pi and...
  10. ExUnoPlura

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

I have Tekton Double Impacts and used them for a few years. They handled bass well and I could easily REW them into a good fit with a slightly treated room. Alas, the paint was easily nicked and scraped when moving them around, and the touch-up jar they sent me was a poor match for some reason...
  11. ExUnoPlura

Nan-7 Planar Magnetic Headphone Review

Ahhh, the three armed bandit. I did Covid, flu, and Shingles 2 today. Put flu and shingles in leftie and Covid in righty. Pretty rough, but ibuprofen works...
  12. ExUnoPlura

RSL C34E MKII In-Ceiling Speaker Review

Enclosed was an option but I wanted to reuse wood, match the circular design of light fixtures over the television, and integrate with the PNW Modern features of the structure. So there were aesthetic choices that figured into the design plan.
  13. ExUnoPlura

No, they are mounted through the plank and open to the ceiling.
  14. ExUnoPlura

I just built out a 7.2.4 home theater using comparably-priced OSD Black Series R83DT. I used salvaged wood from a demolition project and compensated for beamed ceiling via spanning planks (angled at rear): The L/R surrounds are Revels but these seemed adequate for the heights. The critical step...
  15. ExUnoPlura

PrimaLuna Dialogue Seven Tube Amp Review

I will have you all know that in the newest Stereophile (October 23), one review and one article pointedly take shots at those who "prioritize measurements over 'subjective' listening" (in the case of Manley Mahi tube amps review) and with a bit of a high brow insult (quoting Krishnamurti where...
  16. ExUnoPlura

GR Research B24 AC Cable Review Follow up [Entertainment]

I disagree. Arguing over interpretations of religious texts or the consequences of political/social policies (with few studies) or the merits of personal adornments might be tribalism as you seem to be using it in the modern sense. Arguing about factual matters is quite different. It serves a...
  17. ExUnoPlura

Matrix Element X2 Streamer Review

I used a PI solution with display combined with a Topping D90 but maintaining the PI was too onerous: regular failures that required re-imaging, complex setup, etc. I moved to the X-Sabre 3 and strongly prefer the simplicity/reliability (and to be clear, I installed Linux on laptops in the...
  18. ExUnoPlura

JBL 708i Monitor Review (DSP: Part 2)

@amirm Can you please update the following paragraph: I am not sure what "ran" is referring to, nor what "it had was running" is back-referencing? Thanks!
  19. ExUnoPlura

Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 Measurements (DAC & Streamer)

It's a Roon Ready streamer as well, so not an SQ value proposition but an overall functionality one for me.
Top Bottom