Search results

1. S

New DAC to mate with my new WiiM streamer

Thanks guys for your response. I don't need a headphone amp nor do I need a remote or volume control. So I guewss the E30 or the Atom+ will do the trick. Any suggestions as to how to choose? Or either one will be basically transparent.
  2. S

New DAC to mate with my new WiiM streamer

I purchased the WiiM streamer to replace a Sonos Port in my main "big rig" hifi system. I am using Amazon music as my main streaming. I would like to buy a new inexpensive DAC which I would connect via Toslink. I really have no need for USB. The DAC would then be connected via RCA outs to my...
  3. S

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Finally someone was nice enough to reply!! Thank you!! Which SMSL DAC are you using?
  4. S

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Sorry for this uneducated/newbie request: I currently use Amazon Unlimited HD service. I have no need for Roon. My stereo system uses an Aragon (1990s vintage) preamp which are connected to monoblock power amps. My current digital is: Sonos Port > coaxial SPDIF > 1990's 16/44.1 DAC. The DAC is...
  5. S

Help me get my head around this please.....

Just saw this on Youtube: The prices add up to $210,000.00. This is totally obscene.
  6. S

So here is a philosophical question: Why do intelligent and well educated people - even Electrical Engineers - open their wallets and spend tens of thousands of dollars on equipment that doesn't improve sound quality? What is it about this hobby that lures people into this trance? It is...
  7. S

Blumlein 88: your posts are always so easy to understand. Thanks.
  8. S

It just makes me shake my head thinking about all the falsehoods that hi-fi sales people told me through all these years. In other words - spend more money on electronics and you will get better sound.
  9. S

Although I am now a senior and have enjoyed this hobby for 50 years+, I am having trouble with the following. Maybe some of the scientists/engineers can help: Example: Let's pretend that Amir tests 2 DACs: Both DACs measure exactly the same. DAC A cost $200 and DAC B cost $20,000. Will both DACs...
  10. S

My son bought a cassette deck!

I was a teenager in the 1970's and if you borrowed a friend's album (nobody referred to them as vinyl is those days) and wanted a copy, you recorded the album to a cassette: "Is it Live or is it Memorex" - who can forget that teaser on the TV commercial! My son is now 30 and he actually bought...
  11. S

Questions about digitizing vinyl

Thank you Blumlein88 for the encouraging words. I will think about it. I remember years ago attending RMAF and visited the Sanders Sound Systems room and had a chat with Roger Sanders. He was using a Tascam recorder that records to a simple flash card as his source. It was the first time I had...
  12. S

I am the OP of this thread. Boy - you ask a simple question and you get so many wonderful members replying! What a great community!!! Thank you for all your advice. I may rethink this - it seems like an awful lot of work. I may just stream the music and forget about the ripping. I think with my...
  13. S

I am thinking about digitizing my vinyl collection. I know it is an arduous task but I am retired so I have time! I will be using a Windows 10 PC. Here are my questions: Which bit/sample rate should I choose? Is 16/44/1 (or 48) sufficient or should I choose 24/96 (or 192)? WAV or FLAC or...
  14. S

USB-C Dongle for Ipad Air

I am new to this kind of thing. I will be receiving a new Ipad Air in the near future and I am not interested in the wireless Airpods. Is there a particular recommended USB-C dongle that I can buy so that I can plug in my 3.5mm earphones? I know Apple makes a dongle but I am just wondering if...
  15. S

UAPP app for my phone.

Please try to explain in "audio beginners" language!! So I purchase the app on my phone and I start streaming Deezer. Will the music automatically play through the UAPP app? Without the app what exactly is the LG phone doing to the sound?
  16. S

UAPP app for my phone.

Excuse my complete ignorance about this: My phone is an LG V30. I connected the headphone jack to my integrated amp via a 3.mm to RCA cable. The sound through my main speakers is excellent. I stream music with Deezer HIFI (16/44.1). UAPP: USB Audio Player Pro - would installing this on my phone...
  17. S

Shout out to JDS Labs

.....oh, and BTW, the amp is now dead quiet! I didn't realize how the ticking was affecting the sound quality. I'm a happy camper tonight!!
  18. S

Shout out to JDS Labs

I have an Element Amp that I bought new in 2015. I bought it just when the product was released so it must be one of the first built. A few weeks ago I noticed a constant ticking noise which was most audible at lower volumes - which makes sense because the ticking was absorbed at higher volumes...
Top Bottom