Search results

1. Saidera

S-Master (HX) Amplifier Exclusive - Another Sony Thread

Briefly as an introduction, Sony's S-Master Amplifier (along with variants named MX or HX) continues to be a key differentiator for the brand's core audio products. Its evolution over the years makes for interesting reading. Its technical specifications, associated circuit designs, and internal...
  2. Saidera

Apple Dongle (USB-C to 3.5 mm) ADC quality with EarPods/free headsets

I read somewhere years ago that perhaps crinacle used the apple dongle's ADC via an adapter to measure equipment because apple dongle's ADC is the best of all USB-C dongles. I think this is true. It is not studio quality, but it does support 24/48 PCM recording in mono and does not have as much...
  3. Saidera

Sony’s DSD Remastering compared to foobar2000’s DSD Processor

Perhaps it has been asked before in one of my DSD threads. But the essence of the question is this: when converting PCM to DSD or DSD to PCM ‘on the fly’ or for real-time playback, does a more CPU intensive process create a more accurate file and does that extra accuracy result in any audible or...
  4. Saidera

Mesh for Teams, Mozilla Hubs, Sony SAPARi: Audio Science Review VR World

There exists these things called Mesh for Teams, Mozilla Hubs and Sony SAPARi. How about an Audio Science Review VR World? This is in relation to a suggestion to use Mozilla Hubs or an equivalent web browser-based VR platform as a way to create a shared space to experiment and interact with...
  5. Saidera

Sony Music Australia Behind the scenes with Denis Handlin

ILLUSTRATION: JOHN SHAKESPEARE I was so shocked by what I read here today: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-11/sony-music-denis-handlin-toxic-regime-australian-industry/100523030 But on the other hand I wasn't exactly shocked, I sort of expected that something of this sort had been hidden...
  6. Saidera

Fun topic: Virtual Society SAPARi (さぱり) on Sony's Community Place!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAPARi https://community-place.neocities.org/ You will get a glimpse of SAPARi in this video: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/sonys-3-000-minidisc-pc-from-japan-–-vaio-pcv-mx2.25762/ SAPARi was made possible through work done by Sony...
  7. Saidera

Using a stereo 3.5 mm audio jack connected to a mono speaker: Out Of Phase Stereo (OOPS)

I just couldn't find any info anywhere on using Apple USB-C Headphone Adapters with a 3.5 mm audio jack connected to a speaker. I know this is due to the sheer simplicity of it. But I have questions! 1. Mine are mono only (3.5 mm to two wires, red and white), but when you input 3.5 mm stereo...
  8. Saidera

A discussion on the legal status of music media formats

So my legal background makes me curious about what should be the law. When a person like Haruki Murakami bequeaths his entire record collection to Waseda University, or my grandfather gives me his entire classical CD collection, that is all lawful. But when I contemplate leaving my entire FLAC...
  9. Saidera

Onebitious too ambitious? and the mighty PCM-D100 one bit ambitious

It was produced from 2015 to 2018. Released exclusively on mora. https://mora.jp/special/onebitious-records During those 4 years, around 30 odd concerts in Japan were recorded via PCM-D100, some with binaural mics and other mics, some with 4 channel, others probably just with its internal mics...
  10. Saidera

Consolidation of information on DSD playback pathways

Perhaps DSD playback as an audiophile practice should be made more transparent, because DSD remains with us and most DACs will support it, even very affordable phone adaptors. What exactly can be achieved by outputting DSD to the DAC, and what will the DAC do to the DSD. Many people using...
  11. Saidera

Evaluation of SBM Direct downconversion from DSD64 via 64 bit FIR filter 32k taps

My primary interest is in DSP like SBM Direct because DSD to me is overkill. If the ‘best sounding’ PCM CD is made from DSD via SBM Direct, like Sony HK liked to assert, then I want to test that claim properly. So how'd one go about doing that? Like this perhaps...
  12. Saidera

Why isn’t Mr Ayataka Nishio credited with creating DSD audio?

Why isn’t Mr Ayataka Nishio credited with creating DSD audio? Who is credited with creating the CD? Who created PCM? Why does Sony have the rights for the term DSD? Can we call it 1 bit audio? I only really got interested in the engineering and science aspect of sound due to the work of Mr...
  13. Saidera

Remaining Considerations on DSD

DSD proponents tend to only see aspects of the theoretical benefits and infer the superiority of the format. And subjectively, at least if you record to DSD using well designed hardware and play it back, it is apparently quite good but who has that hardware! A full comparison of DSD and PCM is...
  14. Saidera

The Future of Mastering

I have an impression that mastering engineers design their own gear, use rare in-house devices or analogue gear, and yet start from scratch all the time when thinking about how a particular project can be tweaked to sound as good as possible with the minimum of intervention. Many of them have...
  15. Saidera

On ALC4042/4050/5686 dongle DACs, which is more likely: DSD PINs unused, or DSD Mode turned off?

I did find on the ALC4042 datasheet that ALC4042 supports DSD. See the Rhodium DAC page. The PDF showed that while it’s a chip from 2017-18, it did have DSD functionality. The way most were implemented in the dongles named 'TX_Hifi...' in Win 10 meant that the DSD pins must have been...
  16. Saidera

Is it possible to create a DSD recording on a Realtek-based DAC/ADC which uses Realtek ASIO?

My idea has not changed in 3 years: To create a Realtek DAC which uses Realtek ASIO, preferably sth equivalent to ALC1220 for recording DSD for example, and with good specs, and unlike the gaming motherboards (ALC1220) and Rhodium DAC (ALC5686) measured on ASR. Also, the DAC can be fed any...
  17. Saidera

A Thread Dedicated to Cirrus Logic CS43131

The USB-C Dongle Market Apparently CS43130 was a Wolfson chip. It was Hidizs / Tempotec / Meizu that first drew my attention to CS43131. Later in 2020 products with dual CS43131 such as iBasso DC03 began appearing. We’ve had these pages...
  18. Saidera

What Does DSEE HX AI / DSEE Ultimate / DSEE Extreme Do?

Without a DSP called DSEE HX AI, audio seems blended with collapsed soundstage. Basically smoother vocals and transient attack is what DSEE HX already had, whereas ‘height’ is by AI… You could try out these audio players with some headphones and mp3s. It should bring out details - restore...
  19. Saidera

The sound quality of DSD?

Multiple threads here deal with DSD, but I'm yet to see a bit more depth concentrated in one place. DSD For Beginners is boring and tells very little. Based on listening to the sound quality of DSD native from Cirrus Logic chips like that in Sonata HD Pro I find: • S/N ratio of DSD at high...
Top Bottom