Search results

1. Colonel Bogey

The best headphone for EQ

BUMP Any specific suggestions to OPs very relevant question? I'm struggling with that issue right now - got my Qudelix 5K yesterday and need to buy cans to go with it for use in my office (needs to be open). HD 600 is an obvious candidate, significantly cheaper than 650 over here but are there...
  2. Colonel Bogey

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Congrats, the RME is a fantastic product! If you haven't noticed, there is a recent firmware upgrade that further improves it! https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-series-firmware-update.html
  3. Colonel Bogey

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

New concept, but a great one. Apart from maybe not reaching high enough volume i large rooms, I can see no reason a well measuring monitor wouldn't work fine as domestic speaker. I listen to classical at quite high levels at about 2.5 metres in a room almost 50 square metres. No problem raising...
  4. Colonel Bogey

Ah, the outer-ear-squashing, massive 2 kHz peak experience, now enhanced with Pokemon branding. I just can't figure this world out anymore...
  5. Colonel Bogey

Just added Dan Clark Stealth to the lot. Ouch! A major investment, but I mostly use headphones for music listening so its quite logical to concentrate the spending there. Not much more left to do - I use the premium version of the IDAGIO classical streaming service (providing the original CD...
  6. Colonel Bogey

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

A bit OT, but is classical music also subjected to dynamic compression when streamed compared to the original CD version? EDIT: After a little googling, it seems that is usually isn't. The only loudness war victims in classical might be the "best of" compilations by the largest, most...
  7. Colonel Bogey

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Is that so? I use the classical streaming service IDAGIO at (lossless) FLAC and it sounds CD to me. But i guess I would have a hard time to distinguish between CD and 320 Kbps MP3 in a blind test anyhow. Or maybe even 192 Kbps for that matter...
  8. Colonel Bogey

Schiit Lokius Review (Equalizer)

Great review and subsequent discussion, exactly what ASR is supposed to be about. Can't find any undeleted "woke BS" though :)
  9. Colonel Bogey

Hi end professional studio monitors vs hi end "hi-fi" speakers

"Spinorama" type of speaker measurements are quite widely accepted as good predictor of how well a speaker will perceived to perform in a room. As I have been able to see so far, looking at measurements of speakers that perform well in terms of frequency response, directivity or distortion...
  10. Colonel Bogey

Hi end professional studio monitors vs hi end "hi-fi" speakers

In audio equipment, this has not been true for years. Maybe because the music industry doesn't have the margins it used to have, studios and producers are on a budget and suppliers adapt. Unless you look at the lowest end of the spectrum, pro gear has a lot better price/performance than consumer...
  11. Colonel Bogey

Headphones for Classical Music

I listen only to classical on my plethora of headphones. All headphones benefit from EQ and if you plan to use EQ, Sennheiser HD800S is a strong candidate. Without EQ, its harder. Sennheiser HD600 is great if you can live with weak bass below 100Hz. If bass is important (organ, full orchestra)...
  12. Colonel Bogey

What is the best quality/price headphones for 1500€ max ?

As a Frenchman, you should go for the Focal ;) But according to a recent review here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-clear-review-headphone.18585/ it has problems with clipping when playing deep bass at high SPL. I have never had that problem with my Clears even...
  13. Colonel Bogey

How best to connect Genelec 8341A to PC

Actually, there is a couple of other smallish benefits - e.g. the tone controls and loudness, all implemented in the RME's DSP. Very useful when listening at low volumes. I also use the RME with earphones occasionally so I have set the EQ for the earphone out to the Oratory1990 settings for my...
  14. Colonel Bogey

What's the deal with mid-tier closed headphones?

...maybe the Shure 1540 is an option as well. About USD 400, pretty neutral and well built.
  15. Colonel Bogey

Focal Clear Review (headphone)

Adding to the anecdotal evidence: I have heard the cracking noise *once* only, while playing Also sprach Zarathustra very loud. I was trying out the Oratory settings for the RME Adi-2 and had increased volume a lot to hear (experience?) the 16 Hz organ note at the very begining. Apart from...
  16. Colonel Bogey

What's Your Favorite Cable?

It took four guys to install my new speaker cables: https://www.youris.com/imgpub/1311450/0/0/2A_NORN.jpg Tighter bass, improved microdynamics in the mids and a much wider soundstage!
  17. Colonel Bogey

What's Your Favorite Cable?

The vendor that recommends 200-400 h ”burn in” for their power cables? So utterly ridiculous.
  18. Colonel Bogey

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

Not anything near an "evidence based" comment but the Genelec speciallist at our big local reseller told me "no difference" when I asked exactly that question a couple of years ago. Sounds credible to me ;)
  19. Colonel Bogey

Agree (with both answers ;) ) If you choose option 2), the same as I use, make sure to read the RME manual carefully... I was fiddling with some cables when the CD player autostarted while the RME was set to "digital trough" by mistake. Quite an experience, the 8341's sure can play loud! :oops:
  20. Colonel Bogey

Can you control volume on the S/PDIF out? In that case the S/PDIF to AES will work fine. If not, your option is either to use GLM (if you plan to get it) to control volume or use a USB port out. USB to AES converters are a bit more expensive, I haven't seen anything under $400 so far. Matrix...
Top Bottom