Search results

1. W

Nordost Blue Heaven AC Cord Review

No, it was superseded by the Aladdin Sane cord…
  2. W

Nordost Blue Heaven AC Cord Review

The reason mattresses are stupidly expensive is that the industry knows that people won’t buy another one for 10-15 years.
  3. W

Avantone Pro MixCube Monitor Review

Talking of obligatory accessories, it wasn’t just the ashtrays. I have it on good authority that mixing consoles in the seventies sometimes featured small flat-mounted mirrors. Can’t imagine what that was all about…
  4. W

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

Just ordered from Amazon uk. I have (probably) too many IEMs, but these are a no-brainer buy for £50. I always use a portable headphone amp when out and about, so the relatively low sensitivity won’t be a problem. It’s fantastic that one can get such great value these days - my first in-ears...
  5. W

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

I have many over-ear ‘phones, and yet my most expensive product is an IEM - the InEar Prophile 8 I’d like it to be tested here -
  6. W

Audioquest GO-4 Speaker Cable Review

Show me some amplifier schematics, and mark on the diagrams just where ‘imaging’ and ‘soundstage’ are produced. As long as channel separation is decent, there is no effect.
  7. W

FraudioQuest Is simply the best No need to test Simply the best
  8. W

Get this monkey off my rack!!
  9. W

‘Imaging’ and ‘soundstage’ are determined by the source recording (CD, vinyl etc) and are realised (for better or worse) by transducers (speakers and headphones, and in the case of the former, the room). Nothing in between - DACs, amplifiers, cables - should not have any effect upon ’imaging’...
  10. W

‘The earth hath bubbles as the water has, and these are of them’.
  11. W

Alternatively, quite a few bottles of decent single-malt whisky, which I dare say WOULD make the sound more agreeable, albeit ultimately incomprehensible…
  12. W

Many years ago, I drank heavily of the Kool Aid. I still keep around a few absurdly-priced wires, just to remind myself of my self-delusion. ‘High End’ audio is the perfect con-job, because the mark effectively cons himself.
  13. W

CHORD Hugo TT2 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Chord stuff is simply overpriced. Of their stuff tested here, the only real stinker seems to be their phono preamp.
  14. W

Carver Raven 350 Review (Tube Amp)

They certainly didn’t identify the ‘perfectionalist’ amplifier at the the time of the ‘challenge’. I’m sure you’re right about the advertising, although it’s weird to imagine an issue of Stereophile without wall-to-wall manufacturer ads! Notably, the team distanced themselves from the Carver...
  15. W

I have lots of valve guitar amps (I prefer 6V6 and 6L6 designs) but recently a solid-state Boss Nextone Special is getting played most. It surprised me.
  16. W

It’s worth remembering that at the peak of valve amplifier technology, no ‘hi fi’ designer would contemplate using single-ended triode designs. They were fit only for jukeboxes and cheap radiograms. Now SET amps are the holy grail for rich old people who can’t hear above 10KHZ.
  17. W

I seem to remember that Stereophile didn’t identify the ‘perfectionist’ reference amp used in the Carver Challenge. Presumably so as not to annoy a valued advertiser…
  18. W

I tend to prefer a valve amp with a great ‘clean’ sound and lots of headroom (most big Fenders fit the bill) and get the dirt from pedals. All the legendary drive pedals are solid-state.
  19. W

Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Review

I was once told never to order the second-cheapest bottle of wine in a restaurant, because lots of people choose it in order not to appear total cheapskates, and it is marked up accordingly. With cables - just go with the cheapest ones with acceptable build quality. How FraudioQuest engineers a...
Top Bottom