Search results

1. GGroch

Preview: Monolith by Monoprice Desktop THX Headphone Amp & DAC

Its back! Now $600 with ESS ES9820Q and ES9038Q2M chips instead of AKM. It appears most of the features are the same. I owned one of the AKM versions for a while and enjoyed it. Lots of electronic switches to twiddle.
  2. GGroch

wondom bru5 pc dsp configurable TPA 3255 "300w x 2" mini amplifier

Wondom just released a YouTube video that illustrates the process, but also indicates that they made a firmware change in the Bru5 to make it work. The best solution for me is to tape over the blinking LED and just leave the Bru5 powered on.
  3. GGroch

Vista Audio Spark II Review (Amplifer)

The consensus conclusion at ASR is probably that your brain, eyes and ears tell a very different story than your ears alone would in a blind test. Still, to create so many audio experience endorphins for a mere $339 is impressive. Its what we all seek.
  4. GGroch

“The Sensible Sound” magazine the ASR forum of pre-internet days?

I see sadly that Anthony Cordesman has just left the building. I really enjoyed his stuff.
  5. GGroch

I wonder if there was a firmware update
  6. GGroch

Excellent useful information in both posts. My Bru5 is not hooked to speakers at the moment so I could not test it the Bluetooth kill. I did notice that the blue flashing did not cease on mine. I have done no stress tests, but I thought the concept of pressure fitting the chip to the bottom...
  7. GGroch

What Hi-Fi's Amp Reviews: A Basket of Unmeasurables?

Erin in his Audio Corner just posted a fascinating/hilarious video that discusses use of What-HiFi type terms to subjectively describe sound. The link goes to his rant, but if you back it up you can view a sound wheel that scientific audiophiles in the past created to try to standardize terms...
  8. GGroch

What Hi-Fi's Amp Reviews: A Basket of Unmeasurables?

Interesting point. Under some circumstances distortion could be pleasing. But consider; since What-HiFi never measures distortion they (and you) would have no way to determine when or if this occurs. We can read the reviewer had a pleasurable response, but since their auditions are never blind...
  9. GGroch

Wondom now has an even cheaper ACPWorkbench compatible amp using the TPA3116. The BRU3P is $17 to the US on Ali Express (so, cheaper than Acrylic sells the software alone). They have added Bass/Treble tone controls and an Aux Line Out, but it is not clear whether that is just a line-in loop...
  10. GGroch

Fosi Audio P3 Preamplifier & Headphone Amplifier Discussion

How to install tubes in the P3....the orange rings unscrew. It looks a good bit easier knowing that:
  11. GGroch

The online coffee/espresso culture mirrors the subjectivist audio crowd.

Back to the OP proposition: Coffee culture mirrors subjectivist audio crowd. I posit it sometimes mirrors the "objectivist" crowd based on the spritzing/RDT discussion here. Like many ASR discussions, the spritz topic starts with a clueless newbie (me in post 107) asking a question. I am not...
  12. GGroch

I live in Denver, so same, especially this time of year. How much is a spritz? A couple of drops?
  13. GGroch

An overly caffeinated response to an article that only suggests home users add a couple of drops of water to their grinder before grinding. I do not know what commercial coffee shops do but I had not heard this particular advice before for home use and it is simple and free to try. I do find...
  14. GGroch

The science I can find backs up your results. For pour over/drip/French press it appears getting the average size of the grind right is far more important than the lower variation between granules you get from expensive grinders. This is probably different for espresso. Still, a lot of...
  15. GGroch

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Not likely, I'm pretty sure MartinLogan has the last stock, Paradigm has not been available for quite a while. SlickDeals had a very popular thread on this Deal; ML probably oversold. Best bet would be to check there again a few times. I hope the SD buyers checked the PW-Link/Amp reviews...
  16. GGroch

The amp version has only a stereo RCA input (plus Play-Fi Streaming), so it will work, but no direct Toslink for TV in. The Unison preamp version has Toslink. I think Paradigm was looking more at simple 2 channel systems using bookshelf speakers or inwalls, perhaps with a sub. You can set...
  17. GGroch

ARC software is similar to Dirac, so I think probably more complex/flexible than most. The problem would be that the Unison is not as flexible, and downsamples most everything. Read the PW-Link comments about limitations.
  18. GGroch

So, $100 gets you a full ARC parametric room EQ box + DTS streamer with calibrated Mic. $150 for the poor and unfortunate man's DTS Wiim Amp substitute with Mic. Since Wiim's release there is little market for these at normal pricing though the RoomEQ is more sophisticated and includes the...
  19. GGroch

Aiyima A07 Max Amplifier Review

True! And, as Amir's history of testing shit Schiit and no shit! Schiit products proves, companies from all over can learn and improve, even in budget price ranges.:)
  20. GGroch

Aiyima A07 Max Amplifier Review

I'm confused. Your previous post appears to condemn both the company and their ethnicity (in the linked reference), not just this specific product.
Top Bottom