Search results

1. XpanD

Probably a dumb question

The Instant Mode toggle is pretty much just a safety measure. If it's enabled, any filters you activate go through immediately. If not, you'll have to save the file you're working in (File > Save) to apply changes. Good when you're working with scarier filters that can suddenly go to massive...
  2. XpanD

Himalayan salt lamps as a HiFi tweak

These people have an interesting sense of "fun"...
  3. XpanD

Need help for setting up music on an oscilloscope

Please attach the pictures directly or upload them somewhere where they can be embedded, downloading a random archive from a brand new user is risky to say the least.
  4. XpanD

macOS vs. Windows vs. Linux

Linux, but sadly stuck on Windows for the programs I need. (and my modded games) Not that a NTLite-stripped install of W10 IoT Enterprise LTSC is that much of a punishment, though. Heck of a lot better than the bloat/"telemetry"-infested desktop builds!
  5. XpanD

Class AB amplifier powered by non-polarized SMPS - cause for concern?

Unsure if that was in response to my post, but I later learned that I had bandwidth set way too high. The shots I get now are much less fuzzy, though I still see the same crazy swings. Enabling the actual output seems to be fine from what I can see though, so that's a relief -- just gotta...
  6. XpanD

Yup, it has a transformer. I hadn't actually measured my own unit yet, only recently got a scope -- was going off of reports/scope shots from other people. Here's some results from mine when turned on: ...and when turned off: Hope I got these right, still figuring out how to...
  7. XpanD

Need Your Advice on Developing a 5.1 Channel DAC

Bass management is a must, and an area where a lot of "2.1" devices fail to deliver -- configurable crossover point(s), ideally a configurable slope as well. I'd also say balanced outputs would be nice to have for the studio monitor crowd. How would the HDMI input work? Would you go from your...
  8. XpanD

Be careful with those Korad power supplies -- they're super useful, but some models (like my KA3005P) kick out a seriously nasty voltage spike when powered on. Not familiar with your specific equipment, but worth keeping in mind. For what it's worth, I usually connect my leads after I've dialed...
  9. XpanD

New dac experiences

Bad caps changing things, possibly? Notorious issue with the original M-DAC, I ended up having to replace about 40 caps of different ratings and sizes in mine. Felt like it sounded different after as well, though that could've been placebo. Lovely device when it works, but not built the best...
  10. XpanD

Being an audiophile is a lonely hobby

Huh? Not sure what that would have to do with anything. Focusing on different things, sure, but actually hearing different things?
  11. XpanD

Why audio equipment affects music genre preference?

Thanks, ChatGPT! (oh, it's a spambot too, hidden links -- nice)
  12. XpanD

AVR internal fans

My Marantz SR6013 has a slight whining/whirring/whistling that repeats every few seconds. I don't generally notice it, but when I'm in a quiet room (like at night) it can be pretty annoying, especially with it being a pattern and not a constant sound. It's louder than my PC when it's in idle...
  13. XpanD

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

Wow! If I hadn't switched to active speakers this would've absolutely been my amp -- switchable gains (love that about pro amps, gain controls can be a lifesaver for noise issues), a trigger input and pass-through, balanced and unbalanced... and it measures really well! Hats off to the...
  14. XpanD

Speaker Identification

Looks like these, or something in this family? https://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-mt2.htm (Google reverse image search on the second pic provided a few good hits)
  15. XpanD

IO DESIGN NAKED RS Loudspeakers

I... kinda dig the look, at least for the woofer section. Not too sure about the top though, the tweeter jutting out and the shiny caps on the mid panel are a bit odd. Wonder if there's some degree of adjustment there? Not expecting too much from a sound/measurements point of view, but it's...
  16. XpanD

Pre-amp with crossover

I wasn't a big fan of the pro crossovers I tried -- both my dbx 234XS and JB Systems XO 2.4 needed a lot of care with regards to turning devices on and off in the right order, or they'd send an insanely loud spike through my subs. Not fun hearing a loud bang followed by your subs deflating like...
  17. XpanD

Streaming upgrade hardware advice

...that's also a really good point. This receiver seems to only support HDMI 1.4, meaning it won't do 4k at anything beyond 30Hz. If you're using a 4k display (which most are, nowadays) chances are you're being downgraded to a 1920*1080@60Hz signal after negotiation -- only a quarter of 4k.
  18. XpanD

Streaming upgrade hardware advice

Check to make sure you don't have any upscaling/downscaling active (in the receiver settings), and that your color settings (HDMI Deep Color or signal format, full/limited RGB ranges) are set properly. The latter is a very common issue, especially with a PC-based setup: You'll either get...
  19. XpanD

Your Brain: Perception Deception

Doesn't seem to be available in my country, sadly. (the Netherlands)
  20. XpanD

Audyssey sub level all the way down, inverted polarity and a REW question

Interesting, missed that one. I've messed with Ratbuddyssey before, but this looks even more flexible. Might poke around with that later if I can get these issues fixed up, thanks for the pointer!
Top Bottom