Search results

1. Plcamp

Ask me questions.

The one thing I like most about google chromecast with live tv is that the use of HDMI allows on/off and volume control of the attached device via ARC. A tv dedicated ‘ARC DAC’ would not add another remote. I suppose the market for this might be too small?
  2. Plcamp

Amir's 2023 Pacific Audio Fest Report Continued

I have a pair of trio 15 TB. One big problem they have (which might be better dealt with in newer versions) is panel vibrations. They do need bass support under 50 hz. The off axis null in bass makes them easier to place than other speakers, but you need to be 3’ from the wall. There are...
  3. Plcamp

Power Supply 101 (Linear Supply)

I remember years ago on DIYaudio site, a gent studied power amp bridge rectifier snubber circuits, and concluded the optimum values (for minimal noise) were dependent on transformer parameters. As I recall several common power amp transformers were optimized, including old Haflers.
  4. Plcamp

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

The single most important thing that ASR does is remove your perceived necessity to use opinion to judge things like this, and replace it with data that inarguably tells you the truth. And, thankfully, it really is that simple. It can take folks a long time to realize that simplicity, and the...
  5. Plcamp

A Call For Humor!

A very useful chart to keep things sorted out…
  6. Plcamp

End Game DIY Loudspeakers

I have noticed expensive doesn’t mean or rather isn’t really required for best. There is still a lack of consistent revealing data for many drivers, esp for distortion performance. Getting that data allows the discovery of drivers that deliver world class performance without breaking the bank...
  7. Plcamp

How to make a good three way loudspeaker - which bargain drive units ?

I remember being impressed with the Klippel results on 5” and 6” sb ceramic drivers, which I think are very similar. As I recall, distortion was very low from 300 hz up, but usable displacement to maintain low distortion was somewhat limited. At the time I thought I might need two of them (in...
  8. Plcamp

A Call For Humor!

9. Plcamp

A Call For Humor!

I finally found a Pride flag I can support!
  10. Plcamp

A Call For Humor!

11. Plcamp

Speaker ported vs plugged?

As I understand it, the ported will have a lower -3db frequency and a steeper rolloff after that -3db frequency than the sealed. The sealed, for the same bass spl, will require 2x the power of the ported. Either one could be forced to behave like the other with equalization applied. Correct?
  12. Plcamp

Great DIY speaker builds (for newbies) to learn about design?

Indeed! I think that someone wanting to learn could start with a two way open baffle…it’s easy to see cause and effect as you change things, and it is much easier to both make changes and get a reasonable result than with more complicated enclosure dependent designs.
  13. Plcamp

This hobby is ridiculous.

Matching booze to music might be interesting. I have noticed that Jack Daniels goes well with Stevie Ray Vaughan.
  14. Plcamp

Male vocals

Some don’t like Pearl Jam, but Edie Vedder is amazing here…
  15. Plcamp

Ported to sealed enclosure conversion calculation

If the existing ‘big boxes’ are also sealed then I think that… Reducing the volume will increase the -3db frequency and cause some response peaking just above that frequency. The smaller the box, the bigger the effect. If you have equalization you can cancel that (peaking and loss of bass)...
  16. Plcamp

PS Audio DirectStream DAC Mk.2 measurements

Undoubtedly true…but that noise is also an upsell opportunity for one of their power plants - might this be a dominating factor you missed?
  17. Plcamp

How good / bad is MDF for use in speaker cabinets?

Here is a related question that maybe some experienced speaker designers might answer… I noted in Linkwitz’ various papers a short discourse on mounting the mass of the driver independently from the enclosure that surrounds it. (The driver pokes through a tight toleranced hole in the baffle)...
  18. Plcamp

I have been pondering quartz resin countertop material as well. But it doesn’t have the “any shape” quite as simply.
  19. Plcamp

But would it actually be crazy heavy for the same stiffness? I suspect not. For example I’d expect a 3/4” panel of MDF to have similar stiffness to a 1/4” thick dense concrete panel? I don’t know…but the advantage of “any shape” is huge IMO.
Top Bottom