Search results

1. J

Does anybody actually listen to "Hotel California" outside of gear demos? (answer: apparently so)

Its a great song. But I've heard it more than enough and wouldn't ever queue it up on purpose.
  2. J

AKG K371 Review (closed back headphone)

I think you'll find the DT770 better in that regard. I used to use my 371s at work a lot. The guy who sits next to me at work is on phone calls a lot. I could hear him clearly. I can tell whether he's speaking English for work; or arguing with his wife in Arabic. (I dont speak Arabic but there...
  3. J

How To Become an Audiophile

Hi Tilda, One thing I would point out to a n00b is that this forum has a lot of real life engineer types who actually understand how gear works; what it can do, and more importantly, what it can't. (I am not one among them ) It's a terrible place to look for rationalizations about why you need...
  4. J

Pink Floyd Re-form

Waters fiery intensity amd Gilmour's calming tranquility were the perfect rock & roll yin & yang. Neither of them is as good without the other.
  5. J

The FiiO M3K - probably as much DAP as you really need

A lot of hand wringing about SD cards here ? Every laptop I've ever owned has an SD drive built in. I can load up a 256GB card in a few hours, pop it into the device, rescan library, and you're ready to rock. I find it to be exceptionally convenient.
  6. J

The Ultimate Retro Format Revival From Techmoan

Yawn. Talk to me when that gramophone has Bluetooth.
  7. J

SBAF, GoldenEars & USB. Fabulous BS.

Something about building Magni's was part of his profile sig for awhile, although now I see that has been replaced by a dig at Will Smith.
  8. J

SBAF, GoldenEars & USB. Fabulous BS.

The guy who runs SBAF literally works for Schiit; him and Jason are old buddies. But it's Amir who is a corporate shill that cant be trusted ;)
  9. J

No standalone DAC + Headphone amp?

I get having a separate headphones rig; but I prefer a DAC/amp combo device. Headphone amps are smaller and I can move them to different parts of the house depending on what I'm doing.
  10. J

$575,000 (Spare Arm Tube Included)

I actually really like this one. Now I now what to buy first when I become stupid rich. Interesting they dont mention the price . . . if you have to ask etc etc
  11. J

Who are you??

It was with good reason that I chose a career path working entirely with abstract data.
  12. J

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Do y'all pick a coffeepot based on measurements or do you "trust your tongues"?
  13. J

What's the deal with mid-tier closed headphones?

I really like my Monoprice M1060C. They seem to check most of your boxes, but perhaps a little heavy to wear for a long time.
  14. J

Things that are Just Wrong

True story. I was out one time with the dog, and saw a young woman pull up to a stop sign. She was in the car by herself. She stopped, pulled down her mask long enough to take a big drag off a cigarette, then put her mask back in place and drove off.
  15. J

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

Thx. This is what I suspected. I did check that it was in HP mode, not DAC only mode. I could simultaneously play out of the SE output, but not the XLR. It didn't come with a remote :( I'm gonna try a new cable --- hopefully thats all it is. I can get along just fine without the XLR, of...
  16. J

Review and Measurements of Topping DX7s DAC and Headphone Amp

So I've had a DX7s for a few weeks now, and overall I love it. But I just picked up an XLR cable for one of my headphones (Final Audio Sonorous II) and its not working? I get no sound from that output. There's not a special setting for XLR is there? I should be able to just plug the...
  17. J

Comical statements from reviews (Lets have a laugh)

According to this reviewer the Topping is "clean shaven". Its that nice, polite DAC that gets straight As and is the Student Council president and your Mom always asks you "why cant you be more like that nice boy Topping?"
  18. J

Do all STREAMERS sound the same when used with the same external DAC?

+1 on Sonny Rollins. If you like Way Out West check out Saxophone Colossus.
  19. J

Stereophile Recommended Components Fall 2020 is out

Some of us think that society is capable of evolving and just because "it has always been that way" doesn't make it right.
  20. J

Stereophile Recommended Components Fall 2020 is out

Because the extremely superrich have an outsized influence on our politics.
Top Bottom