Search results

1. E

1970s and 1980s Students! Reveal yourselves

Spoilt for choice . . . how about Queen and their album ‘A night at the opera’
  2. E

How people choose very expensive High-End speakers?

I would suggest that today the loudspeaker should use well over half the budget on a high end system, State of the art amplification is probably using Purifi 1ET9040 modules and combined with the best DACs from Chinese companies to give spurious free dynamic ranges better than the total...
  3. E

Adding Ethernet cable to Router not to a Switch

Use standard Ethernet cables from Amazon etc! ‘Audio grade’ Ethernet cables are a complete scam.
  4. E

I forgot to add that a digital connection is very much ‘go’ or ‘no go’. It will either work perfectly or there will be a break up of the data stream leading to very obvious loss of audio quality - nothing subtle. With Ethernet faulty packages are re-transmitted so there is additional...
  5. E

Audio data rates are rather undemanding on bandwidth. The streamer has probably got a substantial data buffer so even if the 2.5Gb/s link were being used for a major download by another device it is unlikely that the data to the streamer would be interrupted to the extent that the buffer is...
  6. E

Kef blade 2 meta frequency response

My blade 2 meta speakers are 95cm from the sidewalls and 85cm from the front wall as measured at the centre of the Uni-Q driver cone https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-blade-2-meta-frequency-response.40766/post-1907195
  7. E

New Purifi amplifiers coming

I didn’t realize that the AP555 was good for 150dB dynamic range. I agree we need to see a full set of power vs distortion sweeps at different frequencies into 8/4/2 Ohm loads. Along with multitone and IMD plots.
  8. E

Looks like the measurements Alan March has made are at/below the limits of the AP555B? The load resistor linearity is certainly a challenge although extremely high damping factors from the amplifier might help mask marginal non linearities here.
  9. E

Practically the best high power amp on the market? It would be interesting to understand where the noise/distortion floor of Alan March’s measurement system lies. In any case the measurements must be quite challenging to take at this level of distortion.
  10. E

ICEpower 1200AS2 question

The +/-8V is the absolute maximum signal that may be applied to the input. Outside this the input protection diodes (for ESD protection) will clamp hard and prevent damage. +/-8V is not a recommended use condition!
  11. E

I hope you are getting as much pleasure from them as I do from my Blade 2 metas
  12. E

Erin’s reviews are always worth visiting. @Kal Rubinson enjoyed reviewing the Blade 2 meta for stereophile https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-blade-two-meta-loudspeaker He is a very discerning and unbiassed reviewer and there are not very many of them around!
  13. E

End Game Speakers - The Quest Continues

Concrete flooring definitely gets my vote. I moved into a new house some 5 years ago and my listening room is not at ground floor level but the underfloor heating has meant that the floor is some 14 inches thick - close packed steel reinforced concrete beams with screed for the pipe work on...
  14. E

Last summer I embarked on a search for new loudspeakers. I arranged a demo at a local dealer KEF blade 2 meta vs B&W 802 D4. Both sounded hugely distorted and muddled. Particularly on detailed Choral music (that’s the golden ear moment over!). The amplifier looked exceedingly expensive but I...
  15. E

I’m impressed with Sigberg audio offerings. Very focussed upper medium priced loudspeakers and woofers. I’d love to see some reviews and spinorama etc. In my defence I was specifically being rather direct about very expensive loudspeakers! In the context of this thread we are probably...
  16. E

It’s actually worse than you suggest. Very expensive loudspeakers are produced in such small quantities that the manufacturer cannot afford the R&D to get the engineering right nor can he afford the tooling for medium volume production. It just doesn’t make economic sense. So the very...
  17. E

Am I mad? Judge me...and leave a recommendation.

I always tried to work with one hand behind my back when delving into valve (tube) circuits! Back in the late 60’s I built quite a few amps using old UK WW2 surplus power transformers, chokes and paper smoothing caps. A good idea to put a bleed resistor across the caps so that you didn’t get a...
  18. E

Current Drive VS Voltsge Drive

Replying to your original quest now that the issue of the current drive is understood this amp seems pretty good https://www.hifi-classic.net/review/sony-ta-f555es-345.html Watch out for speaker impedance though - it doesn’t like low impedance speakers. Make sure the speaker doesn’t go below...
  19. E

Right first time! Although driving a loudspeaker with a current dependent on the audio level would sound pretty strange with loudspeaker impedances varying perhaps 20:1 over the band
  20. E

Audio current transfer refers to the interface between the preamp and power amp http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TA-F555ES.html So not the drive to the speakers
Top Bottom