Search results

1. Keith_W

Incorporating environmental factors for DRC

After reading a bit about BACCH ORC, which uses binaural mics to capture the HRTF, it struck me that there are many different ways you could take measurements for room correction. The difference is how many environmental factors you want to incorporate in your measurement. In a nutshell: - SPS...
  2. Keith_W

Corner Trap Nonsense

I was wondering what ASR thinks of this video. TLDR: - Bass modes are formed by reflections from walls. Not the corners. - What % of the wall is treated by the corners? Answer: a very small surface area. - Corner traps are a marketing con designed to sell traps to people to put in...
  3. Keith_W

Keith_W DSP system

I have resisted making a system thread on ASR for quite some time for many reasons. (1) ASR members seem to be anti-high end audio. (2) I do some things in my system that many in ASR might deem controversial. I will start off the thread with a few posts describing the architecture and hardware...
  4. Keith_W

Casting streaming from tablet to PC - summary of investigations

Hello all. My home audio system consists of a PC which is essential to the system - it creates the crossover and does the convolution. When I designed the system, streaming was not yet "a big thing" and my intention was only to play my collection of local music. However, in the past few years a...
  5. Keith_W

AudioChiemgau motion feedback amplifier with Doppler compensation

I haven't seen this discussed in ASR, nor am I aware of any speakers that use this technology. ASR members might have heard of AudioChiemgau because they manufacture the Mode Compensator which allows two microphones to measure bass frequencies, removing the effect of the room - as discussed in...
  6. Keith_W

Limitations of MiniDSP

... or any other DSP with only 1024 taps per channel. Over the weekend, I went to a friend's place to help generate some filters for his system. His system consists of 2 subwoofers and 2 mains, with a MiniDSP SHD, which accepts a 2 channel input, convolves filters, and has 4 analog outputs. It...
  7. Keith_W

Poor man's directivity response measurement technique

Hello all. I believe I might have come up with a new technique for measuring the directivity of speakers and I am seeking comments / criticism of my methods. I don't think I have seen this mentioned anywhere else. My problem is that I own big and heavy speakers. Moving it outside to take...
  8. Keith_W

Explain this (changing pitch in coffee mug)

I recently came across this phenomenon and its explanation, and I posted this video to my WhatsApp chat group with my former university classmates. None of us have degrees in acoustics and our formal learning in physics stopped at high school. It provoked a rather spirited discussion, at the...
  9. Keith_W

Help with a multichannel Dante setup please

I did a search on ASR and I could not find many helpful threads with Dante. I am helping a friend put together a multichannel setup for his HT. The proposed architecture looks like this: Those two Powersoft devices (Ottocanali and Mezzo) are multichannel DAC's + amps which are Dante capable...
  10. Keith_W

Spam on ASR

Lately I have noticed a lot of Chinese spam on ASR. As a former admin on another forum, when we encountered this problem, these were the options we considered and the results: - prevent all users from certain countries from registering (e.g. *.ru, *.cn). This worked for us because we were...
  11. Keith_W

There is nothing holy about the signal

Sorry for the clickbaity title but I thought it was time for another ASR bun-fight ;) For some time now, I have noticed that both groups of audiophiles - subjectivists and objectivists - share the same belief: that the signal should be kept uncorrupted. Purity is all important. The only...
  12. Keith_W

Dry bass

For some time now, I have a bass problem. The bass does not sound impactful or physical, it's just ... there. For context, I have 4x 12" Rythmik sub drivers built into two subwoofers, crossed over at 80Hz, with DSP provided by Acourate. If I turn the subs louder, it sounds unbalanced and there...
  13. Keith_W

Beethoven's Hammerklavier - too fast or too slow?

The above video is a discussion on Beethoven's Hammerklavier sonata. Beethoven indicated crotchet = 138, which nobody plays because it is too fast. The video includes a link to a study of 35 pianists which shows that the fastest version is 131. But new research shows that at the time, they used...
  14. Keith_W

Interview with Peter Comeau, director of IAG

Peter Comeau recently visited Australia. Here he is giving an interview on Stereonet: Some highlights that ASR might find interesting (my transcript, I have converted spoken English to written English, hopefully without changing the meaning. Any errors are mine): 04:35: "Every brand has...
  15. Keith_W

DEQX Premate 8 digital active crossover / DSP

I was at the Melbourne Hifi show today and spoke extensively to Kim Ryrie, one of the founders of DEQX. DEQX does the same job as MiniDSP, but there are a few points of difference. I have no affiliation with DEQX. However, I do have an interest in DSP and I want more people to adopt it. What...
  16. Keith_W

Stereonet Australia (Melbourne) Audio Show 2023

I was the unofficial and self-appointed reporter for ASR at the StereoNet Australia (SNA) audio show today. Obviously, at the show I am unable to take measurements, so I will provide subjective listening impressions only, along with some points of discussion. I took this attitude to the show...
  17. Keith_W

Why do bigger subwoofers sound different?

I am sure that this has been discussed before in ASR, but I did a search and could not find it. Mods please feel free to merge the thread if this topic has come up before. Basically I have noticed that even if two subs (say) with a 10" driver and an 18" driver produce 40Hz at 80dB, the bigger...
  18. Keith_W

Different approaches to managing bass

In another thread, @ernestcarl posted a video with an interview with Trinnov's Jon Herron. Most of the discussion was about Trinnov's "waveforming" technology - for me it was a fantastic video and I recommend watching the whole thing. However, this slide was of particular interest and I would...
  19. Keith_W

ASR Acourate users

There are a number of threads about Acourate on ASR, but there does not seem to be an "Acourate user group". There is an actual Acourate User Group, but that place is pretty quiet and full of existing Acourate users. I thought I would create a thread so that we can discuss and share what we are...
  20. Keith_W

Effect of sofa on room measurements

Yesterday I decided to look at the effect of having the sofa at the listening position on measurements. This is where the sofa is located: And without sofa: These are the measurements. I applied some smoothing to make the measurements more legible: The mic was not moved from the...
Top Bottom