Search results

1. Keith_W

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

Sorry that was a slip of the keyboard. I wanted to say CEA 2034 instead of "polar" but I typed "polar" instead :facepalm: Why not? A traditional horn speaker has poor vertical directivity. Wouldn't something like this solve that?
  2. Keith_W

Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Speakers

Reviving this topic. This is a screen cap from Don Keele's video showing the directivity of his CBT design: Whilst it's undoubtedly cool looking, I would prefer to look at a polar response to see what it is actually doing. But it got me wondering whether it would be possible to combine a...
  3. Keith_W

Upsampling 16/44.1 collection a good idea?

Except patients with rectal cancer who have had low A-P resections and are left with a colostomy. But I digress ;)
  4. Keith_W

Spotify HiFi (finally) Coming Soon?

Sure Sal, you can be skeptical. But it is really easy to do a Google search and see what other publications are saying: - Ditto Music - "On average, TIDAL pays out around $0.013 per stream in 2023 [...] Spotify pays artists between $0.003 - $0.005 per stream on average, with just under 23,000...
  5. Keith_W

Spotify HiFi (finally) Coming Soon?

See here: Tidal pays artists 4x more per stream than Spotify, but Spotify are not the worst. Qobuz are not on this chart, but I believe they pay slightly less than Tidal.
  6. Keith_W

The Case Against OLED

That reminds me of an incident in my hospital's trauma unit which was presented in one of the meetings. An MRI scan was done on a patient's spine. The surgical consultant viewed the images on a monitor on the ward, and cleared the spine. The spinal precautions were removed. The report later came...
  7. Keith_W

Upsampling 16/44.1 collection a good idea?

Unless I am very much mistaken, he is talking about downsampling from a higher resolution source or from analog. What you are proposing is taking a 44.1kHz source file, upsampling it, and then sending it to the DAC. The limiting factor here is the 44.1kHz source. Here is a quick example...
  8. Keith_W

My first REW measurements(KEF R3 META)

Ignore him. You are right, it is your room that is causing the issue and not the speakers. That wobbly curve is normal. And you might want to read what Floyd Toole said about wobbly curves - link. In particular, pay attention to this: "Don't worry about little ripples. When I see exceptionally...
  9. Keith_W

Food Science Review

You will see from the photo that I was using Martelli pasta. I have been trying different pasta brands available in Australia, and I like Martelli the best. The pasta is so al dente that it is almost like meat with its chewiness. The other pasta I like is Rustichella d'Abruzzo - they make more...
  10. Keith_W

Final REW measurements, opinions?

The IACC is a measure of how similar left and right speaker impulses are to each other. What you want is early IACC to be as high as possible (1 = exactly the same). Values above 0.85 are good, above 0.9 are very good. I don't know what values REW uses for "early" and "late" and I could not find...
  11. Keith_W

Food Science Review

How to make a creamy Cacio e Pepe using food science. A traditional Cacio e Pepe is made by adding pasta water to a grated Pecorino and pepper mixture, and mixed to create a thin paste. This paste is then added to spaghetti and tossed to create the sauce. The problem is that temperature...
  12. Keith_W

About design philosophy _ are minimalists right or not ?

A complex crossover is a different animal to a complex amplifier circuit though. Every component you add to a passive XO wastes more amplifier power and turns it into heat. When we are talking about those crazy gargantuan Class A amps that cost a lot of money to buy and waste a lot of...
  13. Keith_W

Words Of Wisdom by John Curl

Hasn't Scott passed away (RIP)? So yeah he won't be defending himself. BTW is this the thread that was referenced: Bybee fraud protection. Should be fun reading.
  14. Keith_W

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

After staring at graphs all evening, I closed REW and Windows had selected this as my wallpaper of the day. I did a bit of a double take ...
  15. Keith_W

The psychological effects of marketing on sound perception

Little nitpick here, I think you are thinking of psychological effects. Psychoacoustics is a multidisciplinary science which includes acoustics, physiology, and perception. There may be very good engineering reasons behind B&W's diamond tweeter, or KEF's metamaterial absorber. But - with large...
  16. Keith_W

DSP in Separates System

This is why I don't use MiniDSP. Your only other option is to move to software based DSP. If you are really OCD, use one of the manual options - it gives you more control. Examples: REW + RePhase + DRC-FIR, or Acourate. With all manual options, the authors assume you know what you are doing. The...
  17. Keith_W

Speaker "Speed"

Hit the nail on the head. In broad terms, audio can be describe in amplitude, time, and space. Therefore, any subjective description that references amplitude or time will have objective measurements, provided that one can agree what the subjective terms mean. Examples of such descriptions -...
  18. Keith_W

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

I am using a DSP controlled 8 way active system using filters made with Acourate. The crossovers are lin phase FIR's. And yes, I did flatten the driver response and the phase. This is the woofer measurement before (red) and after (green), prior to convolution with the bandpass filter. Like...
  19. Keith_W

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

Thank you for your explanations @KSTR and @j_j. Lately I have been experimenting with phase correction with my DSP setup to decide for myself what is audible and what isn't. As an experiment I did an absolutely crazy correction to see what would happen. I took a nearfield measurement of each...
  20. Keith_W

Repeatable process to create "magical" sweet spot?

I do verify it? See the last step in my post. BTW because of the configuration of my system, positioning the speakers and subs is only the beginning step, before extensive DSP. Full verification is done at the end of DSP. I should have described how I do my verification. I take multiple sets of...
Top Bottom