Search results

1. V

Factoring in Customer Service

Hi, Not sure where you are located but, in the UK, the law is very clear. It is the retailer that is responsible for the quality of goods sold and not the manufacturer. You can understand why this is the case. Many electronic goods are manufactured in China. It does not help the customer if the...
  2. V

Factoring in Customer Service

Hi Dixonfel, Wellcome to the forum. The point I was trying to make was that we should take into account customer service in addition to measurements since that would provide what I think would be a complete picture of the customer experience. From your viewpoint since you say you run an audio...
  3. V

Puritan Audio PSM156 Review (AC Filter)

Thanks for another excellent review. Two questions please Would effective AC filtering below 500 Hz be beneficial? If such a device existed would a component such as the Topping 90 Pre perform better?
  4. V

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Bookshelf Speaker) Video

My speakers are Golden Ear Triton Ones. They are designed to be used with a toe-in so they intersect at the listening position
  5. V

Hi Richard, Thank you for the response. Very helpful to be advised of the predictability percentages. Ultimately, as I have said before, while this is not a perfect measure it is a million times better than subjective reviews. Double-blind listening tests would take the scores to an entirely new...
  6. V

Excellent. The situation is becoming clearer and clearer. The issue boils down to SPL at the listening position. Fortunately there is a formula that calculates this. With every doubling of the listening distance there will be a 6 db drop in SPL. Most powered monitors rate max SPL at 1 metre...
  7. V

Hi, Many thanks for the response. While I completely understand the limitations of the preference scores is there anything better than the cloud cuckoo land of subjective reviews? Specifically you state the limitations "Aspects such as sensitivity, distortion, difficulty to drive, max SPL, etc"...
  8. V

Based on what Amir says, my conclusions now are Use the preference scores to rank speakers. These scores are valid for midfield listening situations which comprise the vast majority of home hi fi applications If you intend to use subs, powered monitors make sub integration much simpler And...
  9. V

Thanks for the very interesting response. This contradicts some of the other members views. So, in your opinion woofer size is immaterial? Regarding the comment that powered monitors are better than passive ones. This was based on the ease of integrating a powered monitor with a subwoofer since...
  10. V

Thanks to Amir and the members who very kindly took the time to respond to this post. My current understanding is Preference scores are an objective way to rank speaker performance There are two preference scores - with and without a subwoofer so you can pick the score that is appropriate to...
  11. V

Thanks for the responses. I am aware of the woofer size difference. But, given the use of subs and a high pass filter of, say, 80 Hz on the subs, will the smaller woofer in the monitor be audible?
  12. V

To be more specific. Will a pair of Genelec 8030Cs with subs sound any different from a pair of Genelec 1032Cs with identical subs? The 1032s are roughly 3 times the price of the8030s. Hence the question Listening distance 3 metres and SPL 80 db Many thanks for taking the time to respond
  13. V

Hi Many thanks for the response. I am not really concerned about SPL. I listen at around 80db so I do not see that as a problem. The question really was about whether there is a difference between near field monitors and mid field monitors. If there is a difference which graph in Amir's reviews...
  14. V

Hi Amir, Many thanks for an extremely informative video tutorial. I just have one question regarding listening distance. Due to room size and personal preference my listening distance (measured from the front of each speaker to my listening position) is 3 metres. Which graph would tell me if a...
  15. V

High cut off on sub

Hi Guys, What is the recommended high cut-off level on a subwoofer please? Appreciate your advice on this
  16. V

One sub or two?

Thanks Guys. Setup Content - 98% rips using EAC and a Plextor optical drive. A few downloads Server - i7 16 Gb/ 1 Tb SSD set up as NUC DAC - Okto Research DAC 8 Preamp - Topping 90 Pre Power amp - Nord Purifi Speakers - Golden Ear Triton Ones Thanks again
  17. V

One sub or two?

Hi Everyone, I think I will start with2 non Genelec subs. So, the question is - how do I calibrate them? Any suggestions please?
  18. V

One sub or two?

Hi Everyone, Many thanks for all the responses. I am humbled that so many of you would take the time to help me. Would it be correct to summarise as follows? Two subs are better than one Four subs are better than two GLM is great for integrating one sub but not that great at integrating a...
  19. V

One sub or two?

GLM is currently inferior to MiniDSP+REW for multi-sub management Is there general agreement on this statement please?
Top Bottom