Search results

1. Vasr

Speaker Testing: why mono is better

A good write-up on the difficulty of evaluating spatial quality (and rigorously defining what it means) including Toole's work: https://www.ece.uvic.ca/~peterd/30604/rumseyattributes.pdf
  2. Vasr

This is as close to bible-thumping as I have seen here with no attempt to understand what the disagreement is. If a piece of research is used incorrectly in the inferences made, then the rebuttal to that is not more research (this is not a difficult concept to understand). Until one is able to...
  3. Vasr

First, I offered no belief (pro or con) to have faith in. It is part of science to not agree with methodology or its shortcomings. I have taken no position on whether stereo measurement would or would not offer something if there is a way to measure it. So the above statements make zero sense...
  4. Vasr

Just saying the above is purely ideological faith in a "testing method" not a science-based approach. You cannot justify a potentially flawed or insufficient measurement by pointing out "bigger" flaws in some other measurements. Both can be flawed enough to not get at the truth (i.e., model...
  5. Vasr

That is only one half of the evaluation. Let us say you have two speakers that don't sound terrible in mono. What can you say about how they sound while used in stereo as they typically are? Will both sound the same or very different in a way that cannot be inferred from a mono evaluation. This...
  6. Vasr

Is Purifi audio a game changer?

The OP was about the Purifi transducers (speaker drivers) not their amplifiers. The evaluations of the two relative to any predecessors aren't related. Just to avoid this thread derailing into the amp discussion.
  7. Vasr

Mixed Front and Center speaker - Not a good idea!

Are you talking about using three speakers with the same signal going in all three channels or three separate channels with their own sounds some of which overlap to provide stage location (not all sounds in center speaker come from the center only) spanning the entire width (and in surround set...
  8. Vasr

My achilles tendon snapped today

The good news is that you will be listening a lot to your audio system for a while in the near future and will be glad if you have a good one. ;) If you didn't believe in remotes before, you will now.
  9. Vasr

My achilles tendon snapped today

Ouch. Having gone through this process with a partner, the only variable is what regimen they will prescribe and how long it will take to heal for that regimen. Some are faster than others but doctors do seem to fall into different philosophical camps as to what they are comfortable with...
  10. Vasr

Can I bridge a parasound 5 channel amp ?

I wouldn't recommend it for just any amp. I tried looking at this a number of years ago for a spare amp I had and gave up because it was difficult to separate good advice and design from bad/dangerous advice at least for my low level of electronics expertise. It is also difficult to find a...
  11. Vasr

Can I bridge a parasound 5 channel amp ?

The HCA 2205 (unlike the HCA 1206) wasn't designed to be bridged. So no switch to invert polarity, match gains, etc., internally. The HCA 2205 back panel: The bridgeable HCA-1206 back panel in contrast: If you want to hack it up from outside to make bridging work on the 2205, good luck. ;)
  12. Vasr

Minidsp 2x4hd vs PC-EqAPO and 4 channels dac...

If you can hear the noise with the miniDSP due to efficient speakers in your chain, then yes getting a lower noise DAC will help. Otherwise, it is debatable. The problem with other not too expensive multi-channel DACs south of the Okto 8-ch DAC is not having a multi-channel volume control in...
  13. Vasr

Revel C208 Review (Center Speaker)

I have been using the far simpler $325 MMG-Ws wall-mounted which is very easy to adjust because it swivels on its mount and will be unobtrusively flat against the wall when not in use. Has to be crossed-over with a sub although typically there isn't much content in low frequencies in HT. These...
  14. Vasr

There is an alternative which is a dedicated phantom center with speakers on either side of the screen for smaller screen sizes, not using L and R as the phantom center. The toe-in of those speakers can be adjusted to provide the imaging dispersion one needs depending on the listening area...
  15. Vasr

Many companies impose what is known as MAP (minimum advertised price) pricing on online sales to protect B&M or in many cases just maintain a high price for appearances of a high-tier product/brand. In the US, it is illegal for any company to force a retailer to sell at a fixed price. So, in...
  16. Vasr

4K video with 5.1 audio

The B&K's "signature tone" is said to be warm whether it is due to harmonics profile or due to rolling off the highs. Combine that with the Marantz which is something people also perceive to be warmer for reasons that is difficult to correlate with current set of measurements. You may also have...
  17. Vasr

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

I haven't noticed any problems with using this as a streamer with PlayFi except having to deal with that terribly designed app. No issues with red book source content. Haven't tried with all sources that may have different gap behavior though. But this seems more like an Optical transceiver...
  18. Vasr

4K video with 5.1 audio

In the context of what you have, you most likely won't notice any difference going from the Marantz to the Denon other than satisfy an itch to upgrade or go chasing SINAD for its own sake as this site encourages some people to do. The B&K are nice sounding amps but with SNR in the 90s and THD...
  19. Vasr

Review and Measurements of Paradigm PW-Link Streamer/DAC

The problem situation is actually when playing 44.1k sources via the optical in/out. PW Link sends the 44.1k as 44.1k out (does not upsample which is fine). If there is gapless playing into it at 44.1khz, there is no problem. But... When there is a break in the song (am simulating it here...
Top Bottom