Search results

1. R

Proposal: Right to Fair Review (RFR) Association

I know ConsumerLab.com were sued by ZeroWater for their report that ZeroWater's filter added 10x the amount of microplastics to tap water despite their claims it removed it. Those sorts of organisations will surely have legal/admin infrastructure to cope with these sorts of things that you can...
  2. R

Yamaha Sound Fields in Software Impulse responses?

Hadn't searched android actually - just went through the app store. Let me look. All this is encouraging me to look at Yamaha if my SR6012 ever breaks. I figured I'd just upgrade to the latest Marantz/Denon but I'm reconsidering that now
  3. R

Haha - the 1m away is similar to IMAX viewing angle recommendation (75-90 degrees). It's fantastic for films that are shot with that in mind. I also have a 120" projection setup (JVC x9000) and I often prefer to sit closer to the OLED. The key to the illusion is to get rid of reference points...
  4. R

Creative SXFI AMP Review (headphone adapter)

SXFI has a war more reflective/reverb filled room. Spatial Audio on the Apple TV feels like a home theater, like real speakers similar to SXFI without a ton of reverb. Localisation is pin precise. Spatial Audio on the iPhone is very nearfield and doesn't feel at all like real speakers
  5. R

I've been on a bit of a nostalgia kick with this hobby recently and I've been thinking about when I first got into the hobby with my dad's Yamaha and all the Sound Fields it had. I actually did make use of it back then I did enjoy them. I also recall he had a car stereo with a similar feature...
  6. R

13 dBHL of hearing loss. Continue using IEMs and headphones?

But unless the mic is placed at the ear canal you don’t really know what the ear drum is being pressured under? I know in research studies you can deeply plant mics but I also know the air pods use the currently playing waveform to calculate ear canal length. That’s what makes them hard to...
  7. R

Diet/Lifestyle for Hearing Loss

I came across this video recently, citing data that various diet factors/drugs impact progressive hearing loss (ototoxic hearing loss). Diet may be a likely factor too - high saturated fat. I had no idea of any of this information - I just assumed it was loud noises. Turns out atherosclerosis...
  8. R

The only thing it can’t take into account fully is ear canal resonance. Although I’m not even sure with that cause it does EQ according to ear canal length I believe. The ANC means I can listen at 75db on the London metro where average noise on one of the deep lines is 95db with 110db peaks for...
  9. R

Apples Air Pods report SPL on the iPhone
  10. R

Saving you a lot of money

Agree with most of that. The exception being that with virtual audio we're on the edge of full soundfield recreation. A pair of earphones will be better than any loudspeaker every could in principle (excluding perfect cross talk cancellation, so the speakers essentially become headphones). I...
  11. R

Apple HomePod Review (Smart Speaker)

I've got two homepods, finally tried out a stereo pair with some dolby atmos tracks in Infuse and music. Pretty impressive and they do seem to widen the sound stage to the side. On playing back channel ID white noise there were no effects to the side or behind me. It's apple so they won't offer...
  12. R

I just did a new earmap - they now have a Gen 3 profile. It's pretty good A vs Bing my preferred Gen 2 profile on pink noise channel ID checks for localisation - in some ways better.
  13. R

It's for both music and movies. I do agree you have to get a good map - I've taken multiple photos and only on a couple profiles do I get pin point accurate out of your head feeling but on the others it's really diffuse and not precise. It's easy to verify this by running white/pink noise test...
  14. R

I've not used mine in quite some time. Been totally into apples spatial audio for movies. Just tried it out again. It really gets the out of your head feeling and checking your speakers aren't on feeling. Not sure if it's changed but still enjoy it when I can be bothered with cables. It really...
  15. R

Intrigued at third gen. Unless it has head tracking everything else can just be done with software. I like the idea of the sound bar with it built in. Basically a cheap Smyth realizer. Still too expensive and I wish they'd release a standalone TV version. Spatial audio on tvOS15 has really...
  16. R

Spatial Audio Thoughts?

I've been using Implucifer for a while and have been amazed by the results. Synthetic HRTF solutions haven't come close and it's a marvel to hear your speakers in your headphones. Recently started using Apple's spatial audio in my Apple TV. It has full head tracking and Atmos support. The...
  17. R

Music: how loud is loud? (video)

Check Dunkirk or Tenent in audacity. All channels at 0dbFS. Many movies have single channels at 105db.
  18. R

Just to put all this noise stuff into perspective. Have you travelled on metros? On the London Underground it's like operating a jack hammer. I personally have eliminated such exposure via IEM's for years and now (even better) ANC. I used to spend a minimum of 2 hours daily on there for...
  19. R

Audioholics had a great video with Matt, who's an exceptional communicator on this stuff (). He took a trip to the Dolby cinema with a calibrated SPL meter and reports no issue as far as averages go (82dbA average for Frozen). But he does mention that it's a kids movie and the amount of speakers...
  20. R

In the movie world I became really obsessed with getting to the bottom of this. I found a way of digitally measuring sound levels of movies that I were concerned were too loud at reference. Here are my results on a couple of posts in this thread ...
Top Bottom