Search results

1. M

'skinny X-3800H' without the amp?

The Denon AVR x-3800H which fits my processing/preamp needs but I already have a stack of outlaw 2200 monoblocks set aside for this. Kind of annoying that they don't just let you buy it without the amps. Is there a more affordable option that provides: - volume control over HDMI ARC - 5.1 (or...
  2. M

add physical attributes to review data?

It would be nice to be able to sort reviews by headphone mass. The weight of the cable (if detachable) may also be relevant if it's on the beefy side. ##### Background: I'm in the market for a full-size closed-back similar in weight to my ether 2. After my experience with multiple "high-end"...
  3. M

private bluetooth listening: looking for a turnkey solution

I set up a system with apt-x LL to watch tv and movies during times when my partner is sleeping nearby. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! What I have tried: tt-ba014 (apt-x low latency) btr1k (apt-x low latency) Issues: no matter how many times I factory/reset the tt-ba014, it...
  4. M

new sony pcm-d100s available at amazon.de

$675 shipped via DHL Express to the US.
  5. M

Opinions on the music-discovery performance of current streaming services (and how to get the most out of them)?

Sure, we all have a stash of cd rips and high-res content that was repeatedly vetted and benchmarked on various gear... But nothing compares to the thrill of hearing something for the first time that fits so perfectly in the moment. As someone who does ml by day (outside the entertainment...
  6. M

help finding some active speakers with S/PDIF input

I'm not sure the following is even possible due to how high-frequency sound is perceived in off-axis listening configurations. In any case, here are the 'concept parameters': hardware/audio optical or coax digital input single speaker configuration available (maybe something like a sonos play...
  7. M

Help choosing rpi4 digital HAT (transport only)

My primary DAC for this transport will be an RME ADI-2 DAC FS, which needs to link to a network server several rooms away (currently experimenting with Roon). I will connect to the transport using coax (a media PC currently occupies the USB input on the ADI-2). Please note the ADI-2 does not...
  8. M

bluetooth 5.0 (AptX-HD+LDAC) transport with coax+toslink ($30 on aliexpress)

I was looking for a BT 5.0 receiver that could feed a signal over coax. This implementation of the Qualcomm CSR8675 seems to fit the bill. Note this does not include a DAC.
  9. M

2.5mm PEEK (your friend for lead-free hotness) stereo connectors?

My current short IEM cable is a DIY affair incorporating these 2-pin connectors by Eidolic (a new Shenzhen hifi mfg?) to re-terminate a stock cable whose IEM-side connectors failed. Turns out the polymer surrounding the pins (called PEEK) has a really high melting point. Usually soldering...
  10. M

TRRS pinout for shielded mic cable

Background: I'm using Mogami W2893 quad (spiral shielded) mic cable for balanced headphone cable. I'm using the AK pinout with 2.5mm TRRS connectors. Question: Just wondering what to do with the shielding on this cable? Should it be folded back on the housing (eg. USB spec) or just ignored when...
  11. M

Hirose 4-pin boots and crimps?

I want to recycle some Hirose 4-pin connectors (shown below): I have two questions: 1. Where can I buy some of those brass crimps? 2. Is it possible to get the latex boots in colors other than black?
  12. M

what are your industrial design favorites?

This is not related to audio science at all, really. More like my ad-laden side bar randomly showed me this thing that simultaneously blew me away by its uselessness (it's a 5lb DAP) and beauty.
  13. M

roon core on QNAP TVS-951x?

tldr: anyone mess around with optimal qtier (ssd/hdd) on this device with roon running (do I need an ssd tier and what split did you use?) This device already hosts all my digital music, and I really want to try out roon integrated owned/streamed discovery tech. Specs: 12Tb raid 5, 8Gb ddr4...
  14. M

polite aptX-LL receivers?

I got a FiiO BTR1K to use with my TV to not disturb my partner at odd hours. Problem is that this thing emits very loud, PTSD-inducing beeps if I'm wearing my IEMs or any reasonably-efficient headphone. I love my Earstudio for regular listening on-the-go, but sadly it doesn't do low-latency...
  15. M

DAP for the desktop

I have a Tidal subscription, some content in wacky fomats like dsd, etc. I used to use apps like Audirvana and Tidal on Mac/PC. Now I'm mostly on linux all the time, it's just easier for work, and I work all the time. Problems with this situation include: 1) no MQA in Tidal web (I'm familiar...
  16. M

Recommendations for lossless soundcloud streams

Apparently soundcloud allows audio to be streamed in it's native format (for premium subscribers), which apparently includes some lossless content, obviously depending on what the uploader provides. I'm going to get a 3 month trial for $0.99 Anyone have recommendations for radio channels with...
  17. M

recommendation for cable stock

I need recommendation for 4-conductor cable Application: a very short (2') cable to run balanced to a clip on BT amp. Electrical: 1) 4-conductor, termination will be 2.5mm trrs for AK pinout Materials: 1) want to use this un-sleeved 2) probably don't need fancy silver plating, etc. its...
Top Bottom