Search results

1. T

Low-profile (<3RU) DD+ LFE to L/R downmixing processor?

Hi, I've been searching for a bit now, and the basic box I seek is seemingly unobtainium. Really hoping some of you more experienced HT folks will have some ideas. Have been content with stereo for movies, but would like to exercise the subs more. Relevant requirements: <6in height Dolby...
  2. T

Don’t stand so close to me

Which wall? A bunch of Danley SH, SM (e.g., SH50/60, SM60, etc.) models will butt right up against the side walls, no problem. They're meant to be placed with angled sides against each other, and, by symmetry, a wall is just the same. Also, radiation to the back is way curtailed from midrange...
  3. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Would highly recommend you use nylock or nylon nuts, or at least threadlock on those nuts. Not great to have one of them fall into a powered circuit.
  4. T

Review and Measurements of miniDSP SHD DAC, DSP And Streamer

The extra 2x4HD should set you back ~$200 and be plenty for the application. No kidding, once everything in a system is basically acceptable, something like Dirac Live (no personal experience with other similar software) is really the best bang-for-buck improvement. The room-speaker interaction...
  5. T

Yeah, that's for the software per se. minidsp offers hardware-specific implementations. I already have a different measurement microphone, can I use it instead of getting a UMIK-1? Modified on: Sun, 3 Nov, 2019 at 8:20 PM No, unfortunately not. To ensure consistency in deployment of the Dirac...
  6. T

The SHD replaced a DEQ/DCX stack in my system. Way nicer in terms of usability and results; hard to compare, really. No problem to gang up a couple of the subs and treat them as a channel, or else add another minidsp box en route. Not sure exactly what you meant by double check, but my...
  7. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

FWIW, for me, same with /AMPON, regardless of S1 position. Speaker click comes shortly after relay click. /AMPON always connected to SMPS1200. S1 sitting high at power up-->click. S1 sitting low at power up-->click. But only just noticeable, better than most other amps I've had. For context...
  8. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Right; forgot the /AMPON inversion. So S1 enable wins. But anyway, yeah, starting to think this is all about start-up supply imbalance. Steady-state DC likely not a factor. So longer turn-on delay would help.
  9. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Electrically, that's totally fine. Practically, depends on speaker/listener sensitivity, listening distance, and personal subjective threshold. With, say, 86dB/Wm speakers at 3ft, I would've thought it barely audible and not a big deal. But total guess; YMMV. Edit: Just thought of something...
  10. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

It's a wired NOR, so shouldn't matter if S1 is high.
  11. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Have you checked the output DC levels?
  12. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Yeah, officially, should be some sort of plastic-specific screw, but #4-40 machine thread seems to work just fine.
  13. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Actually quite difficult, if not impossible, to achieve truly good front plate surface contact using bottom screws alone. For me, at least. Too many variables, hence mine's "casual" contact. Far more secure to drill front panel and replace SMPS screws. Or at least use thermal pads, like...
  14. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Wow, eventual four-channel? I hear you on the drill bit dance. Do you start with a sharp smaller bit? I find that helps some. Would suggest it's fine for most of the holes to be a bit oversized. In fact, better for the bottom ones, especially, so you can be sure to pull the SMPS to the front...
  15. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Using standard top/bottom plates, I placed the vent holes under the Eval1 in back, and over the SMPS1200 in front. Thinking it might help with some convection if things got warm. If truly concerned about thermals, though, the best, easiest thing I see is to drill the front panel to bolt the...
  16. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

An update. Did yet another visual verification of wire connections, then plugged in and tested for DC at outputs: -4mV on one channel, +1mV on the other. Still no front power switch, leaving rear IEC switch on, switching using external power strip. Refreshingly quiet power up and down with...
  17. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Thanks; you're absolutely right. Looks like McMaster has all sorts of black oxide stainless, too.
  18. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

If only, though I do prefer stainless to black oxide, and black stainless is pretty much unobtainium. :)
  19. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

All screwed in and hooked up, visually checked a couple times, but no electrical testing done yet. Modushop chassis is really nice, and 230mm x 280mm is plenty of room for my simple purposes. Planning on simply butting SMPS to the 10mm faceplate for now, but strongly considering thermal adhesive...
  20. T

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Yes, the output jack solder fillets (*very* close to PCB edge) more or less touch the raw/anodized Al bottom horizontal inside corner of the recess. I'm gonna keep this back panel and go ahead and chamfer the corner and perhaps tape the panel/fillets, but definitely an electrical issue as it...
Top Bottom