Search results

1. CrankyRat

Hifiman Arya Review (headphone)

They did and perhaps still do have an official program (traded mine in February 2021). I called them up to see if I could trade it in for an open box item and they were good with that. The trade in was $600 for the Ananda, what I payed for it 6 months earlier. With open box the Arya cost me $800...
  2. CrankyRat

Hifiman Arya Review (headphone)

Hifiman allowed me to trade up to an open box Arya from Ananda for about $600. I was getting bored of the Ananda but I don't get bored of the Arya (far better resolution). I switch, sometimes daily, between Focal Clear and the Arya. For punch and vocals its the Clear. For spaciousness, think...
  3. CrankyRat

Schiit Lokius Review (Equalizer)

I like to listen to music in the morning while in bed with headphones (not sitting next to a computer and even less so in my living room with speakers). The use case was a Hiby R6 linked to a Topping A90. The R6 has a lousy EQ app (up the base and muffle all other frequencies) and all the other...
  4. CrankyRat

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

I have had the EX5 for about a week and use it to run speakers thru the XLR output and headphones. It runs warm but not alarmingly so. I also have the A90 which is always cool. I'm curious as to why it runs warm compared to the A90. Enclosure size? Different Amp?
  5. CrankyRat

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

My god, I love this site/forum. Very high logical to illogical ratio. And, my god, you want evidence for your assertions! I begged to have my account removed from head-fi.org with its Mod Troll patrols (to be fair, they granted my request). Left headphones.com where no assertion without...
  6. CrankyRat

As a former salesman this is all about making the customer feel special. When they come in for their appointment you faun over them like their upper class. Not unlike your real estate agent driving you around in a Mercedes catering to your every whim. You are the King or Queen. The purpose is...
  7. CrankyRat

Now that is an interesting assertion! Do tell. I'm genuinely in the dark but have considered getting a component GEQ these days. I had a friend that had one back in the 90's and knew how to use it.
  8. CrankyRat

Extreme Snake Oil

I doubt anyone actually buys the expensive stuff (28k!). It's there to add false credibility to suck in "stupid people", I know redundant (as in, if real people buy that well it must be great). This then allows said folks to just buy the cheaper stuff ($200 to $2000) and think they are both...
  9. CrankyRat

Extreme Snake Oil

Inheritance and how to waste it.
  10. CrankyRat

Rogue Audio Sphinx V3 Review (Tube Amplifier)

"MRI showed anatomic joint disorders and the radiologist said I'd never be able to play tennis any more based on the images (read measurements)." Unfortunately your radiologist can only base there assessment on experience, a case of informed subjectivity. Only numbers are measurements, not...
  11. CrankyRat

Rogue Audio Sphinx V3 Review (Tube Amplifier)

"What is reviewed is what they wanted. " As an engineer, that's wishful thinking. You get what resources and time allow with sufficient testing always on the chopping block. "Good enough, I think" is the operative phrase here. ASR reviews are effecting some of the industry to improve themselves...
  12. CrankyRat

Measurements of Singxer SA-1 Headphone Amp(Preview)

breathyness? That's a new new descriptor and I have no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps a little elaboration? I would never use the word but, as I interpret it, that's not even remotely a descriptor for the A90 I have. With everything new one hears a difference even when there isn't any...
  13. CrankyRat

If "Tube Sound" Is a Myth, Why Tubes?

I remember pterodactyls blocking the sun in the morning.
  14. CrankyRat

If "Tube Sound" Is a Myth, Why Tubes?

The reason for Tubes has an analogy in the DIY computer world. There is not as much imagination (making things up) in the computer world however. The measurements are all you need (CPU and memory speed etc.). There is no silly debate and determining the performance of a computer is pretty...
  15. CrankyRat

Focal Clear Review (headphone)

I listened to this on the Focal Radiance and went down to -10db on the RME. No clipping and intolerably loud (handled 5 seconds max). This problem seems specific to the Clears.
  16. CrankyRat

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Why did you keep the Audeze LCD-3 having rejected all else? Or perhaps you had them long enough and just got bored?
  17. CrankyRat

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Wow, I can see ASR has had a lot of influence on me the last few months: Genelec 8010a - Desktop speakers from heaven but I did also get RME subwoofer 7040a RME ADI-2 DAC fs - not just a DAC/Amp but an audio exploration tool. Sennheiser HD800s - Glued to my head for the last two weeks; relief...
  18. CrankyRat

My speakers sound better than my headphones...

Definition of artificial: "made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, especially as a copy of something natural." By definition speakers, headphones, and IEMs are artificial. Listening to acoustic music in person is natural. Now nothing wrong with artificial. We rely on...
  19. CrankyRat

Homo sapiens, the first modern humans, evolved from their early hominid predecessors between 200,000 and 300,000 years ago. Alexander Graham Bell patented his first electric loudspeaker (capable of reproducing intelligible speech) as part of his telephone in 1876. There is nothing "natural"...
  20. CrankyRat

Well, that's because they don't live with my wife! If I play anything on my speakers above 80dB she will be yelling at me at 120dB. I'm one audiologist appointment away from a hearing aid.
Top Bottom