Search results

1. dougi

Turntable gift from the US to Australian Prime Minister

Anyone with any more detail? Likely a VPI of some sort? He has been known to do some dogy DJing, not sure a VPI would be any good for that! "President Biden will gift prime minster Albanese a custom signature turntable from a family-owned American audio manufacturer that includes a special...
  2. dougi

ORTOFON ST-7 STEP-UP TRANSFORMER REVIEW

I just got this stepup this week and thought I would post some comparative measurements with it in use/not-in use. It is a mid-level one in Ortofon's offerings. Still expensive! Weird pricing, Euro 899 via Ortofon or I could get it locally for A$700-800. Stock pics: I wanted to use it for my...
  3. dougi

Dynavox TPR-2 preamp measurements

INTRODUCTION AND DESCRIPTION Hi all. I'm posting measurements of the Dynavox TPR-2 line/phono tube output preamp. Sorry US members, only available in 230V AC. Pics, description and specs can be found on the Audiophonics page. It's a solid state phono preamp with a 12au7 triode output, used...
  4. dougi

QUAD Artera PRE partial measurements/spec conformation

Today I'll present mainly a summary of partial measurements of my QUAD Artera PRE analog preamp. The manual is finally available online and you can find it here. Like the rest of the Atera series, it is quite a looker in a clean kind of way: The back shows it has three sorts of outputs...
  5. dougi

Audio Research VSi60 schematic?

Has anyone got a schematic for this they can share with me? I can't find one online. I'm merely trying to find out if the voltage divider output to the subwoofer output is the same as in the VSi55, which I do have a schematic for. So I can calibrate it and use my RME ADI-2 PRO as a power meter...
  6. dougi

NAD C3050 meters and levels

After finally getting my NADC3050LE delivered, there were a couple of things I wanted to understand in relation to the analog input and preamp outputs, as I need to use both: run a separate phono preamp into the line in and drive a separate amp from the preout. Consequently I wanted to verify...
  7. dougi

How does the recording engineer do this effect?

On my system, this song, via Spotify, has an interesting effect. When the keyboard kicks in, it is from my right, not just the right speaker. How is this achieved? YouTube version Here. (Suprise Chef, Grinning Circle) Room is open on the left, if that makes any difference. Great kick drum too!
  8. dougi

Class D vs tube at the listening position

After recently purchasing a New (Very Old) Stock Audio Research amp from a store and noting how I subjectively liked it in comparison with my existing amp (March Audio P502 Hypex), I thought I would take some comparative measurements at the listening position to look for any differences...
  9. dougi

Crazy limited edition Fostex drivers

When running across these on the local Fostex page I had assume the price (A$1200!!) was for a pair of assembled speakers, I mean, at first glance that is what it looks like. Then I noticed that there were no fasteners in the picture, this is just a fancy box for the delivery of the drivers!
  10. dougi

Come on Amir, where's your nuclear power station?

You should try and visit this place Amir, only in the next state. A Stereophile article about audio test lab in an old power station. No pictures of the inside though, or on the NWAA site either.
  11. dougi

What mechanism is causing feedback in this setup?

The other day, when performing near-field measurements of my study speakers (as part of designing a crossover for them), I started getting feedback when measuring close to the tweeter (Seas D2010/8513) with no test signal being generated. Measurement setup was: PC USB->Scarlett 2i2 audio...
  12. dougi

Latest Stereophile article about reviewing

An article by Jim Austin about reviewing. While I understand the inference that hifi is all about enjoying music, I can't quite follow the logic from (talking abut measurements) "But what you learn from such research reveals little of interest about any individual in the group" to the subjective...
  13. dougi

Stereophile electrical system improvement article

I must say, probably to be expected, that I found this article frustrating. What could have been an opportunity to objectively evaluate upgrading your home electrical infrastructure had upon the mains quality ended in the usual subjective waffle (with most of it sounding unlikely given ASR...
  14. dougi

Wacky AGD class D with GanFETs in a tube

Hifi News has a review of this very expensive class D with some measurements. Seems to use an Infineon Merus driver with the GanFETs output switchers in a tube bottle. Good power but doesn't seem state of the art in measurements, but interesting with slow rise in distortion with both power...
  15. dougi

How am I still enjoying music with my age related hearing loss?

I had a hearing test yesterday. It's been 4 years since my last one and with constant tinnitus caused by concerts, motorcycles etc I should do them regularly. The verdict that my hearing was fine apart from age related loss. Probably exacerbated though. My hearing in fine in the critical...
  16. dougi

Problems with Spotify and streamers on WiFi suddenly started

Hmm, I have just suddenly started (a week or so) having trouble with Spotify seeing hardware Connect clients on WiFi. Ethernet no problem! DLNA controllers can see them so it wouldn't appear to be a network connection problem. Devices: Tivoli Model one digital. Spotify flatout refuses to...
  17. dougi

quick and dirty Elipson Planet measurements

I recently purchased a pair of Elipson Planet Ls and again some Planet Ms. I got some for great prices and wanted to add surrounds that would be permitted by the wife. The Ls do look very nice in Mercury Ice on the dedicated floor stands! Given they are both concentric driver speakers I...
  18. dougi

Little Dot D300 preamplifier measurements

Little Dot D300 preamplifier measurements I purchased the Little Dot D300 pre through an Australian reseller. It is a hybrid tube/opamp preamp. My use case was to add as a switch/level control for my analog sources (turntable and tuner) that go into the ADC of my RME ADI-2 pro. If it added...
  19. dougi

New firmware for RME ADI-2 Pro and DAC

Yes new firmware is up from the hardworking folk at RME. update thread Changes to Steadyclock algorithms to reduce jitter even further, tweaks to headroom when using the SRC to balance SINAD and inter-sample overs clipping and metering tweaks again in relation to that.
  20. dougi

test of best incoming sample rate for Lyngdorf DPA-1 digital preamp

Intro Not sure which forum to put this one in as it straddles a few. Given that most of my music is now via a PC, either UPNP using Foobar or Spotify, I thought I would attempt to work out the sample rate that gave the best performance with my digital preamp, being a Lyngdorf DPA-1. Since it...
Top Bottom