Search results

1. simplywyn

Audio industry is full of crap and thank god this place exists

Last post about this I promise. As an aspiring audiophile, I'm constantly wow at how amazingly dumb I am as a consumer. The latest culprit? A $200 WAudio W4800. https://www.amazon.ca/WAudio-Noise-Power-Filter-Conditioner/dp/B08DJBRN8S This beauty conditions the power, and makes the noise...
  2. simplywyn

Is this absolute nonsense? Streamers degrade audio

I stumbled onto this video, and I know something about networking web coming from an engineering background. Who is this guy and is he full of nonsense?? I don't understand how streaming has anything to do with sound quality. The file being sent over wifi, LAN or whatever medium (even 5G) has...
  3. simplywyn

SMSL and Windows 11 support

I have top of the line Topping DACs and top of the line SMSL DACs, but none of them have drivers that work for windows 11. Does anyone know how to get them working on Windows 11? The drivers barely worked in Windows 10, and were very brittle. Is there any benefit to getting the drivers to work...
  4. simplywyn

Looking for desktop computer "audiophile" speakers

I have a small workstation that's running of a work machine, the sound is literally coming out of the screen's 20W (wow) speakers. Does anyone have suggestions for a desktop speaker? The desk is relatively small (standing desk around 60inch x 30inch) but would be nice to be able to listen to...
  5. simplywyn

Subwoofer left right channel, does it matter?

I have dual KF92's and I accidentally bent the LFE input on one of the subwoofer when I was moving them. Not sure how much it is to fix, but I'm just looking to get the wireless solutions instead. Do I need ot do left right channel or can I just mono the entire subwoofer channel? Currently the...
  6. simplywyn

What's the last word on audio cable?

I have cables I bought from amazon, I have $250+ self made cables with the stupid crisscrossing from that guy on youtube, and I have $200+ cables that allow biamping (bi-cabling? who knows) from aliexpress. Do cables matter at all? Should I just stick with my $50 / 50ft spool of Amazon cables...
  7. simplywyn

USB vs Toslink via Home Theatre PC

I'm running my hometheatre PC that's plugged into the SMSL DO200 directly via USB, and just watching Saving Private Ryan, in the beginning scene, I can hear the thunk of bullet hitting the metal (really sounds like metal), and water feels crisp and sharp, even turning it up make it seem more...
  8. simplywyn

Is the entire audio industry a fraud?

I've been on these forums for quite a while, and while I don't believe everything that is being said here, I'm constantly catching myself believing in the fraud. Case and point - I spent well over $2000CAD on a Pre-amp (with >$500 on tubes for a Freya+) and a Denafrips Ares II, think that I...
  9. simplywyn

Does R11 need dual subwoofer?

I've been enjoying my R11's and they are great in my newfound basement sound room. However, I'm noticing that the Q950's I have in my entertainment room simply sound way more fun, and punchy. However obviously they don't come close to the detail and sheer size of the R11, I do feel like a big of...
  10. simplywyn

Is there any point to getting the SMSL M400, when there is the Su-9n and DO100?

There are several M400's on the used market, and I remember watching a few youtube videos that the M400 were giant killers. However, since M400 was released, we've had a slew of new releases for example the Su-9n (I have this one) and the DO-100. All of which measure amazingly, and are around...
  11. simplywyn

Confused with the VTV vs Buckeye 1ET7040 Amplifiers

Several questions here: I recently bought a new set of R11's and they sound huge, I'm running them with one set of 1ET400 EVALs and they sound okay. I'm looking for a power increase in the 1ET7040's but the VTV's show a 950W, the Buckeyes show a 700W. I'm a bit confused here as they both use...
  12. simplywyn

HDMI extractor audible difference?

currently the Apple TV goes into the television which sends back an optical signal. Is it worth getting a hdmi audio extractor?
  13. simplywyn

Kef Q950 upgrade?

So I've been using the Q950 for a while, and while they are great, I feel like they are missing some detail or something. They fill the room with sound, but lack that upper range. Does anyone have suggestions to upgrade from the Q950? I gather than they are very baseline level home theatre...
  14. simplywyn

SPDIF Optical Cables, can they perform different?

I have a cheapo SPDIF audio cable from amazon, and thick, braided fancy metal / gold ended SPDIF cable that someone gave me when I bought the Topping D90 off them. When I plug in my Amazon SPDIF cable and the other Gold ended one, the gold ended one seems to sound better. As an engineer, I...
  15. simplywyn

Topping D90 vs Loxjie D50 vs SMSL M400 vs SMSL SU-9

These Dac all seem to be pretty equal, which one to buy? I currently have a Topping D90, and compared to my other Dacs it feels a bit lifeless. When I plugin the SMSL M200, there seems to be more musicality to the music (not so analytical)... possibly just because how the SMSL M200 looks...
  16. simplywyn

Pre-amp, amp, and a dac

Can someone explain to me the point of a preamp? I have plugged in my speakers amp to my dac and it seems to sound the same as plugging it into the preamp (a90 set to preamp mode) Whats the point of a preamp
  17. simplywyn

Explain to me what I'm hearing from 45W to 80W

I recently got a Q950 floorstander, and currently powering it with a Cambridge Audio CXA80, it sounds decent, with good bass, mids and highs. I decided to plug in my Denon 600ne since they are extremely efficient (and hopefully use my CXA80 elsewhere), however, at the same volume, the Q950's...
  18. simplywyn

Upgrade recommendations from Klipsch Pro Media 2.1

My Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 finally have gone kaput, they served me beautifully as my desktop / work speakers but they've gotten super statickyl and sometimes don't turn on. Anyone have suggestions to as an upgrade path? Overall I liked the Klipsch Pro Media, may just buy another pair of used but...
  19. simplywyn

Why can I hear a difference between 32bit 384khz and 24bit 44.1khz?

Been watching Amir's videos and really trying to tone out the snake oil out of my speakers. However, I have a Topping D10 DAC where I sent the sound quality to 32bit 384khz and I swear I can hear a difference compared to 24bit 441khz. I've tried with double blind (my wife literally toggling...
  20. simplywyn

Do amplifiers actually make a difference for LS50?

I'm noticing that I barely go over the 25% mark on my 45W 8ohm Denon for my LS50, anything higher and it becomes too loud. Has anyone here actually upgraded their amp from a 50-60W to lets say 200W? Is there even a difference? Are you forced to listen at 5% volume and everything after that is...
Top Bottom