Search results

1. S

Have to praise Etymotic ER-3/4, but they are harder and harder to get ...

Have tried so many IEMs and big headphones. Have to come back to the true classics: ER-3SE and ER-4SR. The neutrality, the details and the BA timber :( Jokes aside, they sound less technical than some of the multi-driver ones. But not less enjoyable. And the neutral and somewhat relaxed...
  2. S

Cayin iDAC-6 MK2 does not support USB 32 bit PCM under both windows and mac?!

I recently joined the drop group buy of this DAC. Can't be happier, looks great and sounds great too. However, this device just doesn't support 32 bit PCM under both windows and mac. I installed the latest driver 5.57 on windows. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling etc. I am pretty sure...
  3. S

Digital volume pre-amp on DAC produces inferior sound than a proper analog pre-amp?

I think many are claiming so here or on YouTube. The claim is that it compresses the dynamic range. My understanding is that pure DAC mode is basically digital volume at 100. So a digital volume at 95 should not be that different from pure DAC mode? Is there anything deeper than the simple math...
  4. S

Anybody knows the difference between SMSL C100 and Sanskrit 10th MK III?

The C100 ($119): https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/811.html The Sanskrit ($139): https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/801.html The internals are almost identical, except that C100 adds bluetooth and MQA. And C100 comes in a lower price. Seems like the Sanskrit...
  5. S

What is the best way to set volumes on both headphone amp and dac?

I always fix my amp's volume at slightly over mid or ~60%. And then I adjust my dac's volume to reach my comfortable listening levels. I think amps in general operate the best around that slightly-over-mid range with the best FR and power. I also know that many folks suggest we should set the...
  6. S

ASR makes me go back to other expensive hobbies ...

I still own about 300 CDs, 40 fountain pens and 25 watches. I thought HeadFi would keep me spending for a while. Now I have: DAC/AMP: Aune T1 (pre-ASR), Drop GRACE DAC, SMSL VMV VA-2, SMSL M500 and Singxer SA-1 USB Dongle: Xduoo Link (pre-ASR), TempoTec Sonata HD Pro and FIIO KA3 (incoming)...
  7. S

Now I understand why people love the tri-flange tips from Etymotic

In short, I think they do following: * Boost the low end, especially the region close to mids. The typical Sennheiser sound. * Open up high end a bit, which improves the sound stage noticeably. In short, they add a bit U shape into the sound. I personally feel the bass becomes a bit too...
  8. S

Start to appreciate HD58X more and more!

Especially after EQing. The bass is still not tight and highs are not crystal clear. But: 1) They are super light and comfortable. And I can throw them around without too much worry. 2) They are louder due to higher sensitivity, and definitely more forward in the mids. This works SOOO well for...
  9. S

Just discoverd EQ and I kind of start wondering what I was doing ...

I just used the presets from oratory 1990. Don't know if he/she is here, but this definitely changed my view on headphones. Now I feel all the chase of sound signatures in DAC/AMP is futile. We can just get the most transparent and affordable stacks from Topping or SMSL and apply EQ. I don't...
  10. S

If you are still wondering about the tube sound ...

Please consider getting a Bravo Audio V1/2. Remember to get a multimeter to adjust biases, as the factory settings are super wacky on mine. :( But after adjusting biases, this little amp really sings. It pairs very well with with highly regarded Sennheiser 5xx and 6xx. And it also offers a...
  11. S

Is there a pure Bluetooth receiver like Topping BC30 without DAC?

I have plenty of DACs and Amps lying around. I am curious if there is some high quality Bluetooth receiver that can convert LDAC signals to digital ones such as optical or coaxical? I know Topping BC30 does that, but it also comes with an extra DAC. There are several generic branded ones on...
  12. S

Looking for an IEM that benefits from amping

I normally use my favorite Hifiman Sundara and occasionally Sennheiser HD 5XX. But lately I have to share my space with someone else. And I normally use either Etymotic ER3SE or MeeAudio Pinnacle P1. The etys are slightly on the dark side, but still maintains an even manner. The P1 is more fun...
  13. S

What can cause Headphone Amp's output resistance to increase over time?

I have a really old Aune T1 DAC/Amp. And I recall that when I first got it, it could drive very low resistance IEMs just fine. But after all these years, all at sudden, it can't anymore. It can drive planars such as my Sundara. The specific problems it has with IEMs now are: 1) Overall, volume...
Top Bottom