Search results

1. Sharpi31

Passive loudspeakers aren’t as lame as vinyl…yet!

There are always pros/cons when integrating multiple elements into one large heavy box. I wouldn’t buy an iMac ;) I’d love to go fully active, but with external amplification and processing. I prefer the freedom to change individual elements when I want/need to do so.
  2. Sharpi31

David Lynch's Dune 1984 - that beautiful glorious diasaster

I found this quite amusing…
  3. Sharpi31

David Lynch's Dune 1984 - that beautiful glorious diasaster

I’ve read 4 of the books, and am a fan of David Lynch (Inland Empire, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive & Twin Peaks are my favourites). I have a love/hate relationship with the 1984 Dune. It has a certain strangeness and lack of the typical Hollywood veneer that does work, but at the same time the...
  4. Sharpi31

Broke my right wrist, the good arm. Any ideas how long this breakage goes on?

Sorry @Doodski, that’s bad luck. I tend to fall off my mountain bike every few weeks but it’s been years since I broke a bone. Landed hard on my left arm and side a couple of weeks back - nasty cuts in my left elbow, bruised hip and pelvis. It took me about 10 days before I could get decent...
  5. Sharpi31

Rugby World Cup 2023

I’m Scottish, and I work for South Africans……. Wish me luck
  6. Sharpi31

What audio interface [from list] under 200€ to choose?

I’m no expert, so will defer to others to provide proper advice. I’ve been reading about 32 bit float recorders & interfaces so here is one more for the list: https://zoomcorp.com/en/gb/news/zoom-introduces-32-bit-float-audio-interfaces/
  7. Sharpi31

Show us your bicycles!

Ragley’s are excellent - great choice. I bought a Marley frame and built it up with the same forks….. Slighly indulgent but I have three sets of wheels for this one. The ones below are 2nd hand wide carbon rims with 2.8“ tyres, which are great on the gravel & rocky trails around here. I have...
  8. Sharpi31

Review of the new Schiit URD

I wouldn’t buy this, but I don’t object to the product in principle. I guess the 2x USB inputs would be helpful for some people - it’s a user friendly way of connecting two PCs to a system. But I don’t see much value in the USB output. If I was short on DAC inputs I’d want my CD transport to...
  9. Sharpi31

Kef blade 2 meta frequency response

I suspect most recordings of cymbals have a fair degree of compression applied, given the dynamics (of course there will be exceptions). I’d expect much of the impact to be lost in the recording & production process, so it wouldn’t surprise me if playback on even the best loudspeakers would be...
  10. Sharpi31

Do I need a preamp in between my DAC and AMPLIFIER?

You don’t need a preamp - you‘re not missing anything. If you needed to accommodate a number of sources, add features like remote volume & source selection, or drive long line level interconnects, a preamp would be beneficial. From a safety point of view, many people like to have analogue...
  11. Sharpi31

Topping DX3 pro+/Volumio/Raspberry Pi

Topping D10, Topping DX1, RME ADI 2 DAC, Minidsp Flex (basically every USB dac I’ve tried has been fine with >48KHz)
  12. Sharpi31

Show us your bicycles!

Beautiful - I’ve been tempted by a Surron for a long time.….. In the UK it costs the same as a decent carbon enduro bike, which is amazing considering the tech.
  13. Sharpi31

Show us your bicycles!

Braking is a fine art, no doubt. It’s good to practice using more front brake, as that provides most stopping power, and it’s a good skill to have in emergencies. Front brake is safest when you’re travelling in a straight line and have your body weight evenly balanced over the bike - you...
  14. Sharpi31

Show us your bicycles!

My day to day training bike, built using Black Friday and eBay parts (including £99 frame). I need to go larger on the disc rotors, when I have the right calliper adapters. It’s amazing how much faster this 29 hardtail with CC tyres rolls, compared to my enduro bikes. I like this one a lot.
  15. Sharpi31

Topping DX3 pro+/Volumio/Raspberry Pi

Pi3 is perfectly capable of >48KHz via USB. I’m still running a Pi3 with Volumio and USB dac in my office. https://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/01/measurements-raspberry-pi-3-as-usb.html
  16. Sharpi31

(Europe) Master Deals Thread on Audio Product Sales

Etymotic ER2XR are £76 on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ER2XR-Extended-Respone-in-Ear-Earphones-Multicolored/dp/B07NSL5XS5/ ER2SE also down to £70.
  17. Sharpi31

Preamplifier Advice

MiniDSP Flex with Dirac license - choose the balanced or unbalanced version to match your active speaker inputs. That’s where my money would go ;)
  18. Sharpi31

Extron XPA 1002 Plus Amplifier Review

@Paulz the amplifier you linked is a 70V model. Don’t buy that for Revel 12 loudspeakers. You need a low impedance amplifier for normal low impedance loudspeakers. XPA 1002 and XPA 2004 are the right model numbers. Good luck!
  19. Sharpi31

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

No. The channel imbalance only covers the first 1-2% of rotation. At low gain with sensitive IEMs you would still be using much more of the volume control. Edit: I’m very picky about unbalanced volume controls - I used to use stepped attenuators in all amps/preamps. The DX1 imbalance is just at...
  20. Sharpi31

Topping DX1 mini desktop DAC & AMP

I bought a DX1 for my bedside bargain IEM setup. Raspberry Pi 4 running Volumio (with FusionDSP for EQ, crossfeed, loudness), USB connection to DX1, then headphones (Truthear X Crinacle Zero, Moondrop Aria, K371 etc.). Amazing setup for $150 (Pi4 & DX1). The DX1 has plenty of power, but I don’t...
Top Bottom