Search results

1. preload

Best wired IEM with cord that doesn't loop behind ears

Can anyone please advise me on the very best wired IEMs that have cables that run downwards (instead of behind and over the ears)? I wear glasses, and the "cable behind the ear" IEM's are too cumbersome when I'm on the go. Cost not important.
  2. preload

Samsung Buds2 Pro - what other BT IEMs are worth trying?

I really like the Samsung Buds2 Pro bluetooth IEMs. Are there any better bluetooth earbuds out there? Or is this it?
  3. preload

Any DCA Stealth owners "upgrade" to something better?

Just want to see what else is out there.
  4. preload

BEST bluetooth IEM's available

Question for the IEM experts - which bluetooth IEM's are considered the very best available right now (at any price)? I have the JBL Club Pro Plus, which are pretty good (I believe Sean Olive listens to these too?), but wondering if there's anything else out there.
  5. preload

Creating your own semi-calibrated Harman OE Curve at home

There are lots of sites that provide headphone measurements. However, they all use measurement equipment and protocols ("rigs") that differ from those that were used by Harman to derive the Harman target curve. Sean Olive pointed this out in his twitter feed, linked on ASR This means that the...
  6. preload

WSJ: "Are AirPods Out? Why Cool Kids Are Wearing Wired Headphones"

I never thought AirPods were cool, so I'm glad the cool kids finally figured it out. LINK
  7. preload

Best IEMs identified in Harman (Olive) research paper

Might be a long shot, but does anyone know the identity of the two IEMs circled in red below: A Statistical Model That Predicts Listeners’ Preference Ratings of In-Ear Headphones: Part 2 – Development and Validation of the Model Edit: these were the IEMs tested in the part 1 of the paper
  8. preload

Compact Bookshelf speakers that don't look ugly

Can anyone recommend a pair of bookshelf speakers (active or passive) that are about the size of the KEF LSX (4-5" midwoofer), but don't look ugly? Edit: must have a grill that protects the tweeter Unfortunately, this means no Genelecs, due to aesthetic requirement. Would appreciate...
  9. preload

Roon Help: Where are the EQ files stored?

Can any Roon experts help me? I recently reinstalled Windows and reinstalled Roon Core, but all my EQ presets have disappeared. Does anyone know where the files containing the EQ presets are stored? I'm hoping to be able to transfer them over from an old drive backup.
  10. preload

The Harman In-Room Target Curve - why is it represented as a thin line?

I typically see the Harman target curve represented as a thin line on an amplitude vs. freq chart, as if the goal were to achieve that target precisely. But looking at a review article written by Toole entitled "The Measurement and Calibration of Sound Reproducing Systems" (JAES...
  11. preload

THD above 10khz - why does it matter?

This is probably a dumb question, but I notice that it's common to show THD levels measured at frequencies above 10khz - however, at frequencies above 10khz, the 2nd harmonic is above 20khz, the 3rd harmonic is above 30khz, etc. We are all lucky to even hear 18khz. So why does THD above 10khz...
  12. preload

Effects of 2 vibration isolation devices (waterfall plots)

There seems to be debate about whether vibration absorption feet can improve the sound quality of loudspeakers. In theory, the overall FR shouldn't change, but resonances that occur in the speaker cabinet or in the room should be reduced, which in turn, should improve some aspect of perceived...
  13. preload

Which anechoic response curve predicts the preferred loudspeaker? (fun exercise)

Here are the FR curves for 3 different speakers, as published in Stereophile. It's the usual "anechoic response on tweeter axis at 50", averaged across 30 deg horizontal window and corrected for mic response, with complex sum of nearfield woofer and port responses plotted below 300Hz). Pretend...
Top Bottom