Search results

1. G

FS: Niles SI-275 stereo power amp

Niles SI-275 stereo power amp, works and sounds great. Cosmetically in very good shape, with only a few very light marks visible up close. You can find these on eBay but rarely one that looks this clean. Reviewed by Amir and recommended :) $89 plus shipping—I’ll charge only the exact UPS...
  2. G

XTZ EDGE A2-300 Review (amplifier)

I recently acquired the XTZ A2-300 -- even after reading Amir's measurements. Early impression is that I like what I'm hearing. It's being used in a desktop system to drive small Spendor monitors (which I've owned for at least a couple decades), generally at low volumes, fed by a Schiit Modi...
  3. G

WTB: Massdrop THX AAA 789

Are you a Head-Fi member? https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/drop-thx-789-linear-amplifier.23051/
  4. G

Motu M2 Review (Audio Interface)

Yes, agreed, downmixing to mono means "a hit in quality," but in my experience some devices, and some software, do a better job than others. The Windows PC downmix to mono results in what sounds to me like a noticeable downgrade. However, if I bypass the Windows audio engine (by way of "WASAPI...
  5. G

Thanks for your reply. True, MusicBee can mix to mono, and its software mixer sounds fine. Qobuz app has no provision for mono output. I can use the Windows PC audio settings to output mono from Qobuz but the result is a significant downgrade in audio quality (yes, I can hear it even with one...
  6. G

Can the M2 serve as a USB DAC (connected to my PC) and output a mono signal (summed L+R) from the headphone jack? That’s what I need – a device that can let me play music from Qobuz and MusicBee on my PC and drive my (fairly sensitive) headphones with a summed mono signal. (Why? Because I only...
  7. G

JDS Labs - Subjective 3

It's been a while since you posted your note above, but like you, I confront similar issues, and after trying various low cost options with no success, I've found that the RME ADI-2 FS dac/amp helps solve a lot of audio problems for me. Granted, it does its work on the signal in the software...
  8. G

JDS Labs Atom DAC+ Review

Yep, that central ring is a light, not a switch -- when the ring is lit, you know the DAC is on and active. Note also that the DAC has a standby feature, which JDS explains as follows: AUTOMATIC STANDBY Atom DAC+ automatically enters standby after 15 minutes of inactivity, powering down its...
  9. G

Topping E30 DAC Review

Does anyone know whether E30 with serial number 201073... would have the AK or CS chip for SPDIF? Thanks.
  10. G

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Atom comes default with dual gain, 1.0x and 4.5x. So, for sensitive IEMs, you get 1.0 gain in stock Atom. Which is probably fine for most users. Which, I guess, is why JDS doesn't publicize custom gain options. Nice of them to offer to customize for you.
  11. G

Schiit Modi 3+ Review (Stereo DAC)

That's a possibility, and I wish I had samples of all the gear and a mad-audio-scientist lab (and the know-how) to poke and pry into the inner workings. As it stands, I only have the Bluesound Node 2 on hand (two of them, and I tried both). As I mentioned in my earlier post (#207), I tried the...
  12. G

Yep, Heresy has more power--though I, for one, never really tap into it. Even with my 6XX, I use low gain, and rarely turn the volume past 10:00 or 11:00. For headphones that eat power, or for users who consistently listen at Amir-testing levels :), Heresy might be the better choice. For my 6XX...
  13. G

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

Nina Ramsby with Ludvig Berghe Trio: "Nu Väntar Tiden" (Now Is the Time) It's in Swedish, and I don't know what she's saying, but it doesn't matter, I just kinda go with the languorous flow...
  14. G

KerenDun: "Right In Between" -- opening cut from Let the Mountain In. From Bandcamp page: "New York based pianist Nitai Hershkovits and Tel Aviv based writer and vocalist KerenDun (Keren Dunietz) created an EP that dwells in the strange and enchanting"
  15. G

I have both and like both. I can't offer a "one is better than the other" recommendation. Both amps (on low gain, fed by PC USB to Modi 3, with music from NAS or Qobuz) do a great job driving Sennheiser 6XX. If pushed to make a subjective comparison--not a scientific level-matched test--I'd say...
  16. G

John Scofield, A Moment's Peace -- opening cut, "Simply Put" -- take it easy...
  17. G

Schiit Modi 3+ Review (Stereo DAC)

Thanks for that interesting and helpful research--yes, "hmm" indeed! When using my Modi 3+, I carefully checked and double-checked various configurations, leading me to these possible conclusions: (a) There was something faulty in all three specific Modi 3+ DACs that I tried. or (b) There's...
  18. G

Classical ♫ Music only | Some you listen now or recently, some you love...

OPiUM String Quartet: Back to Melody Can't get the opening track outta my head--kinda like minimalism meets Polish rustic folk dance--a slow build to a rousing reel:
Top Bottom