Search results

1. Sashoir

BIS are to be acquired by Apple

Announced on the home page https://www.bis.se/. I harbour an invincible dread that the outcome will eventually be no more BIS discs or downloads, just their botched primephonic rebadge.
  2. Sashoir

(How) Can an earth loop be intermittent?

One of my subwoofers intermittently develops a hum which I *think* is an earth loop (if I put a 1:1 trafo between the source and the sub, the hum disappears, and the hum is at the right pitch for 50hz AC). So I can "solve" the problem. But if I turn the sub's plate amplifier off and then on...
  3. Sashoir

Possibly foolish question: is it not possible to derive anechoic FR from in-room FR?

FFTs and signal processing are topics I've not even been passingly familiar with for a few decades, but: if one has a "true" FR for a loudspeaker from preferred (anechoic, NFS, what have you) meadurement, and a measured response from a certain placement in a certain space of the same...
  4. Sashoir

Interesting, if true

This "article" (repackaged from here: to their credit, at least it was attributed) purports to show classical composers' hypothetical earnings via Spotify. It's very back-of-a-fag-packet (actually reminds me of working in corporate finance in the 1990s), but it seems plausible (which is very...
  5. Sashoir

Presto app

Hullo all. If any of you buy music from Presto (prestomusic.com), they've released their beta streaming library solution to prod together with a handphone app (apple and Android, nothing alas for any blackberry holdouts among you) as well. The app itself seems fairly basic, certainly not native...
  6. Sashoir

Help in building a music Library

Hullo everybody! I'm soliciting opinions here because I gather from reading many threads that there's a diverse set of musical tastes among the membership. I'm hoping to put together a sort of "sampler" music library as I'm about to have a baby and I want her to be able to form her own musical...
  7. Sashoir

Wanted: Topping A30/D30 combination

Hullo all, I hope everyone is happy and well. I am looking for one of the following combinations, if anyone has one they are looking to off-load. Either: * An A30+D30 "stack" in any (matching) colour; or, * an A30 in Silver; or, * a D30 in Black. I hate travel adaptors (mostly for space...
  8. Sashoir

USB Phono Pre-amp to digital input

Hullo all, my wife would like a record player (she's not really old enough to remember when FM and LPs were the state of the art (and how much of a pain that was)), so I was thinking of getting her one for Christmas. I haven't a phono preamplifier, so I was wondering whether a USB phono stage...
  9. Sashoir

Recommendation: Keith at Purité Audio

As much as I get satisfaction from reading and writing vituperative reviews where warranted (Hermes Logistics and Foxtons Real Estate Agents, I'm referring to you), it's much more satisfying to read and write glowing reviews for businesses which provide great products and services. I ordered a...
  10. Sashoir

Sub-Woofer Switching Device (Beginner DIY)

Dear all, I wondered whether anyone could give me some pointers on the following "design". I have been trying to muddle through "Basic Electronics for Absolute Beginners"-type books along side various posts here and on the wider internet, but have no idea how well I am actually comprehending...
  11. Sashoir

Signal processing for old recordings

Hullo all and thank you for this site, which I'm enjoying immensely and from which I'm learning a great deal. One of the things which has persuaded me from moving to non-physical media is the ability to access all manner of older recordings at a reasonable cost. Of course, the old tape and...
Top Bottom