Search results

1. Sashoir

Alternative to Roon....

perhaps try presto or idagio? they are streaming services, however, not roon alternatives.
  2. Sashoir

Lack of high-end speaker reviews

That's interesting; if I'd had to guess, I should have guessed that monophonic music enthusiasts would have preferred omnidirectional loudspeakers, but I know next to nothing about either hifi or psychoacoustics.
  3. Sashoir

Lack of high-end speaker reviews

I assume there are Bix Beiderbecke (or whomever) lovers who mostly listen to monophonic recordings. Surely there is a subset of these music fans who are also "hifi" enthusiasts; it would be interesting to know whether there's a consensus among them as to what are good loudspeakers which differs...
  4. Sashoir

My Take On a Music Playback Interface

I've been thinking about writing my own upnp control point for some of the reasons you give here. I'm pretty happy with MinimServer as the back end (though I'd love to be able to embed pdfs of album liners somehow), but Bubble and Kazoo (the best controllers I've found) are both wanting in my...
  5. Sashoir

My Neurochrome Modulus-686 Build

14% inflation is high vs. general Canadian CPI, but a good many inputs to industrial production have risen by much more over that period (I'm not saying it *is* the case here, but it *could be*): I've had several expense items in my business (not electronics) by more than that. Fortunately for...
  6. Sashoir

BIS are to be acquired by Apple

The only thing I could wish of the Litton Prokofiev recordings would have been the inclusion of both versions of the fourth symphony. Their Grieg set is also of very high musical quality. I'm not enough of an audiophile to give authoritative judgement on their engineering, but BIS and Chandos...
  7. Sashoir

BIS are to be acquired by Apple

Announced on the home page https://www.bis.se/. I harbour an invincible dread that the outcome will eventually be no more BIS discs or downloads, just their botched primephonic rebadge.
  8. Sashoir

Farewell my friends. Health is deteriorating - I'm fading out. (Updated - RIP)

I shall miss you. May all the joys of your life dwell in your mind, the music you have loved dwell in your ears, and the people you have loved fill your spirit in whatever time is afforded you. Thank you for being who you are.
  9. Sashoir

TOPPING Audio Interfaces Coming soon!

Easy to fix before they are made. Slightly less easy after the product's been shipped and the development budget's already been burned.
  10. Sashoir

Sold Out - Revel Salon2 New Stock w/ full warranty $12k plus shipping

It's nice to see someone so excited. Much joy to you.
  11. Sashoir

(How) Can an earth loop be intermittent?

Thank you, David. MoDem (and an unholy assortment of switches) are all on the same circuit as the stereo. Alas I can't move any of them (I'm in a small flat, and everything is in our "everything" room (i.e. the room which is not the bathroom, bedroom, or kitchen).
  12. Sashoir

Ah. Thank you, JSmith. It's definitely lower in pitch than that. The phono cable to the sub by necessity terminates near the IEC inlet of the sub, so perhaps that's it. Would the 1:1 trafo "fix" electro-magnetic interference, though?
  13. Sashoir

Thank you, andysu. I'm not yet confident enough to open a mains-powered device (at least, if I ever want to plug it in again). Does anyone know whether you can get an e.g. low-current, 2.3V AC power supply to use for learning, where if you get shocked, it's at 1% of what would happen in real...
  14. Sashoir

Thank you, pseudoid. You could well be on to something: the sub-woofer's plate amplifier is reasonably well-ventilated, but I imagine that the heat conduction is asymmetrical, so that heat builds up within the enclosure. What is then the thermal/electrical mechanism for changing the potential...
  15. Sashoir

Introducing the New Tonal App

Forgive me, I don't think I was particularly clear. I think the "search" problem is largely solved. I think the "browse" problem is very much unsolved. And search (knowing what you want ab initio) is not a good solution to browsing (knowing what you want when you find it)
  16. Sashoir

Introducing the New Tonal App

These are only my opinions, and so could be completely worthless from a market fit perspective. The "problems" with classical metadata may not be soluble in a universal manner. Some people listen to "albums" (discs or multi-discs). Some people listen to "works" (e.g. Bax's Symphony no. 3). Some...
  17. Sashoir

Thank you, Adam. I very much appreciate your help. Alas no television or set-top device. The sub has never hummed with its line-in disconnected. I suppose it *could* though, having not tested extensively (which I shall do in the near future). In which case presumably the problem would not be an...
  18. Sashoir

Thank you, Adam. So far as I can tell, no: it arises with no changes to the load on the circuit that I can see (including when there's only "idle" draw). It never disappears on its own, however, so far as I can recall.
  19. Sashoir

One of my subwoofers intermittently develops a hum which I *think* is an earth loop (if I put a 1:1 trafo between the source and the sub, the hum disappears, and the hum is at the right pitch for 50hz AC). So I can "solve" the problem. But if I turn the sub's plate amplifier off and then on...
  20. Sashoir

What is going on with audioSCIENCEreview…

I know absolutely nothing of fluid dynamics, acoustics, or auditory physiology, but I do know that if you are a scientist and not spending a pretty large proportion of your time on grant applications, there's a high probability you won't be "doing science" for much longer ;)
Top Bottom