Search results

1. jhaider

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

They didn’t strike me as overly large or super deep. The 10s OTOH just look ungainly IMO.
  2. jhaider

Tech Reviewer: Do Bad Reviews Kill Companies?

Can’t help but think of this one after reading that: https://www.whathifi.com/technics/sb-c700/review Didn’t kill the company but arguably killed the speakers.
  3. jhaider

AXPONA 2024 - what to do and see?

The plight of a parent of young kids, flying solo for the week... They were showing their new "Cue 100" model, which is quite a bit smaller and less expensive (and simpler) than your Joseph Audio speakers. IMO it sounded great and looked sharp in person, too. It looks better in person than in...
  4. jhaider

I think you might be making an unwarranted assumption here. I suspect most participants here (present company included) don't have dedicated spaces. As an aside I've noticed a lot of people who build dedicated spaces tend to regret it to some extent, as they find the space doesn't get the use...
  5. jhaider

Functional need: preamp, streamer, DAC, Room correction/bass management 2.2 system.

Not sure what you mean by that. In the (admittedly very old, but) only public blind test of room correction systems RoomPerfect was the most preferred commercially available option, and the only commercially available option preferred to no EQ. FWIW, my experience with RoomPerfect is that it...
  6. jhaider

Thank you for the correction. Blame sitting in the back coupled with high gain eyesight correction for assuming a woven pattern on the black lower midrange cone. :) I have removed the incorrect material, as well as speculation stemming from it.
  7. jhaider

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

I didn't know that. Portman also designed the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta, with the tall atrium that so impressed Jim Morrison. https://www.invisiblethemepark.com/2011/04/hyatt-regency-atlanta-and-jim-morrison/
  8. jhaider

Functional need: preamp, streamer, DAC, Room correction/bass management 2.2 system.

A great option if it has enough amp for one's use case, and one never plans to go beyond 2 subs. Probably the best option, really. Little real competition right now. NAD's M10, if they ever get Dirac Live Bass Control on it, would be a competitor.
  9. jhaider

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

Our two don’t drive us nuts and have no real usability bugs. Not since the July 2021 (?) boot loop issue at least.
  10. jhaider

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

IR as in remote? Why would anyone think otherwise? Given the insane pricing of the not-quite-equivalent from Marantz, IMO the larger question is whether DM is a viable alternative. They really effed themselves with current pricing IMO - a lot more than the arguably superior HTP-1 and not much...
  11. jhaider

Because it’s the most cost effective option for the functionality you want. Yes it has more channels than you need. So what? I use one in our 2-channel system.
  12. jhaider

Monolith HTP-1 with Dirac Live Bass Control and WiiM mini to stream.
  13. jhaider

New Shangling looks pretty bad ass!

Where are the features? I didn’t see anything at a glance that looked like a useful feature: no PEQ, no loudness compensation, no crossfeed. Only read quickly though. Maybe I missed something that could put this thing on a reasonable person’s radar?
  14. jhaider

Finally watched the video. Didn’t realize the woofers were underhung - that makes me irrationally happy. Based on a short demo they’re good speakers and I expect them to be a winner. Hopefully shipping costs don’t kill them.
  15. jhaider

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

I think I had KH 80 in my home office in two homes for more than two years before moving on to KH 120 II. They still look new. Unless they’re cleaned with horrific chemicals I don’t see a reason why they’d look any different 20 years hence.
  16. jhaider

I didn't think Cambridge Audio was owned by Samsung. Could be though. At any rate, yeah their US HQ is in the same building as Soul & Smoke BBQ. I think that's Soul & Smoke's OG location, though now they have one in the West Loop too. Good stuff! Agreed, the Linkwitz room sounded great. I...
  17. jhaider

You touch a bag in daily use. So how it feels genuinely matters. Speakers generally you set up and leave alone. So looks may matter but feel doesn't really. And from arm's length away IMO KH 120 A doesn't look "nicer" than KH 80 DSP or KH 120 II.
  18. jhaider

I use and prefer the newer Neumanns, but understand this sentiment. Last week I traded my old KH 120A’s for a monster sub (JBL Synthesis S2S-EX) and was reminded how solid the cabinets felt. Didn’t stop me from leaving them behind for the newer and better (more bass headroom) version though...
  19. jhaider

Hmm. I kinda like it. In spirit it’s like a 21st century riff on the old Tannoy D500/D700. Hope it’s at Axpona. OTOH I really didn’t like the look of Sourcepoint 10 when I saw them in person - just looked cartoonishly big for a standmount to me.
  20. jhaider

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

It's nice to see someone else has measured/listened in seated vs standing and noticed marked differences. I do basically the same thing - RME ADI-2 Pro for headphones and digital output into miniDSP for speakers/subs (currently C-DSP 8x12 DL, but when I find time to rewire everything will go to...
Top Bottom