Search results

1. A

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

Gustav Mahler. Died in 1911 while writing his 10th symphony, age 50, was still innovating at that point, and better at orchestrating than ever. I sometimes imagine a Mahler symphony processing WWI, taking in ragtime music or some of the nascent proto-jazz, parodying Nazi marches, or him writing...
  2. A

Neutron Hifi DAC V1

Nice to see the manufacturer here to answer questions - and react so quickly to suggestions. I'll keep this on my radar. Not that I really need it, but it is an interesting project. Great to see more DACs with integrated DSP! There's already the Qudelix 5K, the new Fiio KA17 and a couple of...
  3. A

Audiophile hobby is a scam?

Most of today's (non esoteric) DACs and amps are clean. That part of things is solved. With headphones frequency response is most likely everything, but it's complicated. There is the fact that people have different HRTFs (head-related transfer functions), i.e. that the shape and size of our...
  4. A

Balanced vs Unbalanced - maybe there is something in it after all

Unfortunately, most of today's HiFi press is bonkers.
  5. A

What are your top 3 IEM ?

- Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk, with EQ to bring the bass to lower treble response in line with the Dusk 2 DSP Default tuning. Now just well-rounded with really precise imaging. Before was hazy but fun. - Audeze iSine 10 with oratory1990 (Harman) EQ setting. Effortless, smoother than the Dusk, great...
  6. A

Neutron Hifi DAC V1

It did at one time (came with the 2.0 firmware update), but I can't find the option anymore (may just be me, but even if so, it's at least bad UI).
  7. A

Neutron Hifi DAC V1

It's a dongle DAC, so less a competitor to the Topping D50 and more one to the Qudelix 5k. Unlike the 5k it has a display, but the 5k includes a battery, Bluetooth and a differential output which provides double the voltage of the Neutron DAC. The Qudelix app is legendary for its range of...
  8. A

Extreme Snake Oil

For something even worse, from the same site: https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0424/LessLoss_BlackGround_For_Speakers_Review.htm Sheer lunacy, including the auditioning "protocols". Especially funny is the suspected incompatibility with another tweako device from Synergistic...
  9. A

What volume level do you use for classical music? Loud or quiet? What are your opinions regarding relaxation and volume?

In concert you can feel the low notes on the basses as well as things like kettle drums. Unlike with Pop or Rock there's not constantly a lot of bass, but to get the proper impact your speakers should be able to go deep and loud.
  10. A

What volume level do you use for classical music? Loud or quiet? What are your opinions regarding relaxation and volume?

A symphony orchestra can get really, really loud, and playing it back at low volume you lose both detail and impact. My speakers can get close to the volume, but then my neighbours in the apartment below can hear what symphony I'm playing.
  11. A

Extreme Snake Oil

I just spent way too much time on the Synergistic Research site and I that has left me angry and doubting humanity. The people who run this are either deluded beyond any hope of salvation or criminals who have lost all regard for decency. The nonsense claims they make should be illegal. But hey...
  12. A

Dan Clark E3 Headphone Review

The E3 are a much better headphone sound-wise. In comparison the Aeon 2 Noires are hazy and severely lacking in dynamics/punch. It's not really close either. The only advantage the Noires have is that for me the comfort is considerably better. I appear to have a very large head, so the...
  13. A

What headphone(s) do you own ?

I'm in the third month of my honeymoon phase with the E3. They are amazingly tuned and realistic in how they present recordings.
  14. A

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Been a while since I first posted a list, and a lot of changes since then. These are the ones that I use at least occasionally (very occasionally in a lot of cases): AKG K240 Sextett AKG K280 AKG K371 Beyerdynamic Custome One Pro Beyerdynamic T70p Creative Aurvana Live Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2...
  15. A

Digital Volume Infinite Encoders slow and need many rotations. Why is that?

Yep. Getting acceleration right is fiddly, and doesn't really add to the spec sheet, so implementing it is most often skipped to save time and effort.
  16. A

They're technically exciting headphones, as well as practical: You can pack them up small because of that great hinge mechanism. Comfort is a priority, and with the E3 dealing with partially broken seal was a consideration in the design, so great for glasses-wearers like me. And then there's the...
  17. A

The E3 are the best headphone I own by a clear margin. The level of realism with recordings of classical music is stunning. And that without EQ. Beats the HD800, which by comparison is a bit diffuse (I was shocked the first time I did a direct comparison). With a lot of non-acoustic music the...
  18. A

Battery Powered Dac / Amp - Aeon Noire

Depending on the music you listen to and the volume you want the Quedlix 5k may be enough. Perfectly fine for me with Rock, Pop or Techno. For classical music I combine this with a Fiio A5 (relatively easily available used) and I have not found any recording yet where I would need more power...
  19. A

AKG K240 55 Ohm Review (Headphone)

@Amir - Thanks for the review! I really appreciate you measuring headphones now. Having said that: Frequency response measurements with third-party earpads, especially ones like these which are from a different material and have a different "geometry" (they are deeper than the originals) are...
  20. A

Universal Audio Apollo Twin X Review (Audio Interface)

This exactly. The pro audio companies are not implementing any esoteric concepts but are generally engineering-driven. If their engineers know how to get things right in what Amir measures then there is a high likelihood of them getting other things right as well (though of course no assurance)...
Top Bottom