Search results

1. P

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

You can actually turn the display off, i wonder what that would do to both yours and Amir's tests....
  2. P

None of these allow fixed output to the RCAs and variable output to the XLRs at the same time. The E30 doesn't even have XLRs.
  3. P

It does not, although volume at '99' works exactly the same as a 'bypass' mode, although for your use case this isn't very helpful. I'm struggling to think of any DACs that do this tbh.
  4. P

The DO100 makes little popping noises on sample rate changes and audio start/stop (going into my Genelec 8020) I think it's internals are very similar to the D-6s.
  5. P

DAC Internal or External

D-6 actually has TRS balanced connections as well as RCA, but yep if you want XLR-XLR then the D-6s is great. I think unless you have a particular reason for avoiding the ESS DSD implentation (and to get an idea re what's going on there, this blog post is excellent...
  6. P

DAC Internal or External

As far as I know (although I only have first hand experience with a Topping E30) AKM based Dacs can only play DSD at 100% volume (i.e. the volume control on the D-6 is only for PCM signal), and yep this is always 'DSD-direct' mode.
  7. P

DAC Internal or External

The SMSL D-6 has balanced out and uses AKM chips. It does have a volume control, but set this to 100% and it'll work EXACTLY the same as a DAC with no volume control.
  8. P

DAC Internal or External

Re the Schiit manual: 1. Even if this is true (and probably is) it conveniently sidesteps the issue that a lot of SACD/DSD files are unique masterings of certain recordings, if you want to listen to those then DSD is the way to do it, inaudiable rising HF noise or not. 2. including the ability...
  9. P

You have my sympathy @Jim Anderson - it must be beyond frustrating. I personally think that no matter where you are, and no matter what the local laws are on this, the retailer has a moral duty to fix/replace any product they ship that is non functional. Aside from it being the right thing to...
  10. P

Have you been able to test the Dac with another computer? If not, i'm going to repeat the suggestion of a USB hub, maybe try and get one where you can return it easily if this doesn't solve it, but I think it's important to isolate where the problem lies... Like I said I have mine running fine...
  11. P

I think the D-6s uses just one ES9039Q2M, not that it really matters... From what I understand the ES9039Q2M kind of made the reasons (or at least some of the reasons) for using '2 x ES9038Q2M' redundant. Until someone can prove to me otherwise, the whole AKM vs ESS thing seems to basically be...
  12. P

Would someone care to interprate Amir's measurements/reviews here? Revel v Wharfedale.

It's very, very unusual for UK hi-fi retailers to sell 'non professional' speakers individually. Also the quoted RRP, is actually the RRP for a pair.
  13. P

Would someone care to interprate Amir's measurements/reviews here? Revel v Wharfedale.

once again, they're actually available for under £500 from a reputable UK dealer: https://nintronics.co.uk/products/revel-m16-bookshelf-speakers?variant=44232506605801 Re "I suspect the price drops may indicate they won’t be around forever" they've often been available for under £650 for at...
  14. P

Nintronics have them at £500 for a pair (you can tell it's a pair by the listed RRP), and also there's new ones on ebay at £540.
  15. P

New DAC help please

If the DAC is the only source going into the amp, I'd recommend one that is grounded (e.g. smsl DO100, smsl D-6s, there will be others...). Most Naim amps require 1 source component to be grounded (the amp is not grounded to minimise ground loops), if no source is grounded then you'll get a...
  16. P

Ah apologies, assumed you were trying to connect a newer Mac USB-C to USB-C. I have my old 2015 Macbook Pro hooked up to the D-6s using one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GGKYR2O and there's no issues. Didn't even try the supplied cable, sorry.
  17. P

Try connecting via a hub, or using the Apple USB-C to USB adapter.
  18. P

I think that maybe the D-6s is exclusive to (and possibly designed to spec with?) a particular retailer, it seems it's available in far fewer channels than their other stuff... In which case it would make sense that they leave it off their site.
  19. P

Not sure what exactly what Michael meant re the D6s power supply, but the device is definitely properly grounded, and passes ground via the outputs. And whilst putting the PS further away from all the other stuff won't hurt - you can see from Amir's measurements that the PS noise is basically a...
  20. P

I ordered one of these from SHENZHENAUDIO on Nov 10th, it turned up today (Nov 28th) (UK), no customs fees so it ended up being £135 all in. Couple of things that may be useful for others to know: Using both my Sony TV and Sony Bluray player via Optical and Coax connections, stable signal even...
Top Bottom