Search results

1. HooStat

Funk 18.0E (single 18") vs. PSA 3012 (dual 15")

Neither of these has been measured in the tremendous @sweetchaos subwoofer repository. Earlier versions of each have done nicely in the CEA testing. But the current 18.0E version of the Funk is smaller than the 18.0 that was tested, and the driver has been improved. PowerSoundAudio (PSA) has...
  2. HooStat

Is there a simple multichannel solution for 5.1/5.2 audio with DSP that is NOT an AVR?

I have been trying to sort this out. I have an Apple TV and would like to listen to stereo music and multichannel TV programming (and multichannel music when available) in a living room type space. I was trying to avoid spending $1500 on an AVR -- I would like to use 5 active speakers like...
  3. HooStat

HOSA ODL-312 Toslink to AES/EBU adapter $75 shipped

Used for about 3 months. Works perfectly. I just ordered a MiniDSP SHD Studio so I don't need this anymore. I used this to connect my TV's digital audio output to my Genelec SAM speakers. Includes shipping in the continental US.
  4. HooStat

KEF Q300 $300 split shipping

KEF Q300 bookshelf speakers. About 6 years old (March 2016 manufacture). I am the original owner. No notable blemishes, but given their age the rating of 8 on US Audio Mart is appropriate. Willing to split shipping via UPS Ground. Pickup welcome in Los Angeles area (Calabasas, 91302 area). I...
  5. HooStat

Help me understand how the wireless sub transmitter should be set up

I have the Anthem MRX 520 preamp/processor and the REL wireless subwoofer transmitter both reviewed by reviewed by @amirm. My sub allows me to set different input voltage levels (Arendal 1961S allows 1V, 2V, 4V or 8V). The Anthem puts out 5.2V on the subwoofer preamp output. But it looks like...
  6. HooStat

SOLD!!!: RME ADI-2 DAC $925

Bought new in September 2020. Excellent condition. Includes original box, remote, and power cord. Used for my Neumann headphones but I stopped using these once I stopped using the headphones about 6 months later. I hooked them up to my Genelec speakers for a few weeks, but other than that...
  7. HooStat

Neumann NDH 20 Closed-Back Headphones $325

I bought these new and used them for 6 months in September 2020. I have not used them in about a year so it makes more sense to sell them. They are in excellent condition. Includes original box and cables that came with the headphones. Will include shipping in the continental US as well as...
  8. HooStat

System for music and TV in office < $4300

Right now I have a 10 year old JL Audio F113 sub, Anthem MRX 520 (with ARC, 100 watts per channel), and 2 KEF Q300 speakers (87 dB, 6 ohm, max output 110 dB according to KEF). Office is 20 x 16 with 10' ceiling (vaulted ranging from 9-11'). This system is plenty loud enough for me. I am...
  9. HooStat

Controlled directivity speakers

I was reading @TimVG @Floyd Toole comment about the importance of directivity control as low as possible (see #1,030 ). I had thought that only Dutch & Dutch and Kii were providing that kind of product. But in looking through @pierre's website, I stumbled across the Revel F226Be...
  10. HooStat

2-way speakers designed for subs

@sigbergaudio has specifically designed a 2-way speaker to be used with a sub. He focused on reducing distortion and loudness capability, which makes complete sense. -3dB is at 90 Hz, and it is a premium-priced product (~$7k). However, as far as I can tell, it is the only such product out...
  11. HooStat

Three-way vs two-way plus sub

I was looking at the Mesanovic RTM10 and the Dutch and Dutch 8C. Both talk about having a "subwoofer". I am not getting into a semantic discussion of what it means to be a subwoofer. I am honestly curious how those speakers are functionally different from something like the Genelec 8340 or...
  12. HooStat

SOLD Los Angeles Genelec 8361a pair for sale

Includes GLM and stands. Black finish, like new condition. Price: $11,000. Local only for now. The obvious question is why I am getting rid of them. Honestly I don't have the space or time to listen to them and they just sit hooked up to my TV. I have not even set them up properly with...
  13. HooStat

Genelec 8361 speaker stands

I was looking at the recommended speaker stands for the Genelec 8361. Given that the speakers weigh 70 pounds (32 kg) each, it concerns me to use the recommended stands. The stands are 16 kg each with a load capacity of 70 kg. My concern is that the speaker-stand combination might be a bit...
  14. HooStat

Erin's KEF R5 review

Erin reviewed this a while back, but nobody has really commented here. Given how popular the R3 is, I thought I would see what people who know more than me think. (Apologies if we are not supposed to cross-post these reviews. I lost track of whether there are any remaining issues between...
  15. HooStat

Speaker choices for a reflective, large room

I would like to get some input on ways to maximize the sound quality, and dialog intelligibility in particular, in our family room. This is really a speaker question because we can't move the listening position (against the wall) or use anything on the walls. So, room treatment, to the extent...
  16. HooStat

Raised subwoofer

One option I am considering is to put a subwoofer is behind the TV, on a 30" tall table (i.e., between the TV and the wall behind the TV). Is this going to be any better or worse than locating it in the same place, but on the floor? Just to be clear, I am asking about on the floor vs raised...
  17. HooStat

Strategies for 100-500 Hz

Subs seem like a "solved" problem for frequencies below about 100 Hz. That doesn't mean "easy", but there are tutorials and software to measure and tweak. And there are cardiod subs (Geithain) as well. Above about 500 Hz, room modes are no longer as problematic, and one can focus on the...
  18. HooStat

Practical use of Dutch and Dutch 8c

As much as I would prefer to get the Genelec 8351b, I think the 8c is a better choice for me. I have done some reading on these, and looked at the user manual, but I would love insight from some users of the 8c on issues they may have run into (and solutions, if they exist). I also have a few...
  19. HooStat

SOLD!!!: JL Audio F113 -- $2200 in Los Angeles area

This was sent back to JL Audio in May/June of this year for their standard $400 (plus shipping) overhaul. The completely replaced the electronic unit and replaced a number of capacitors. The driver was in perfect shape. I have been using it for 6 months, but am planning on going with 2 subs...
  20. HooStat

Speaker choice - Neumann, Dutch & Dutch, KEF

I have checked a few options with my spouse for our living room. I would be interested in people's thoughts on the good and bad of these options. You can see in the attached photo, I have been playing around with a center channel -- for many years we simply went with a 2.1 system with KEF Q300...
Top Bottom