Search results

1. gvl

Adam Audio A3X monitors

In good shape. One speaker has somewhat elevated background noise but you can't hear it at normal listening levels. Will come with power cords. Don't have original boxes or manuals but will pack well. $250 net to me after shipping and fees. They are clean sounding monitors but small and will...
  2. gvl

Is low SNR of any concern if you can’t hear the noise?

We here like to clap to low noise amps hitting high SNR numbers. I can’t hear any noise from my speakers connected to Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2s which are honest amps but have just ok <90dB SNR at my normal listening levels. Common sense tells me that unless I use more sensitive speakers that actually...
  3. gvl

Inline passive attenuators, should I bother?

My amps have somewhat too much gain/power in my setup for my speakers/room/listening levels which causes me to run my RME ADI-2 DAC at 30-45dB digital attenuation on the +1dBu output level which results in about 75-90dB SNR on the DAC output or so it seems. Is there much to be gained by adding...
  4. gvl

SOLD: SMSL M400/SP400 DAC/HPAmp stack

Mint condition. In original boxes with all accessories. Lots of power on tap. The DAC has a label saying "updated" which I think means it includes the fix for the high-frequency roll-off on unbalanced outputs that was identified on early units. $1000 shipped, firm, won't separate, CONUS only...
  5. gvl

Pink Floyd in Hi-Res

Qobuz added a bunch of Pink Floyd albums in hi-res. I’m thrilled, I can finally listen to the actual noise of the analog recording equipment of the 60s and 70s in all its purity not polluted by the silly quantization noise of the 16bit format. Joking aside, is there any theoretical benefit of...
  6. gvl

Frequency Response Test - RMS of what?

The all so familiar good old FR plot that makes sense - Vrms(F). Anyone knows how Vrms is determined in AP or in general? Is this just 0.7071xVpeak of the waveform perhaps with some averaging for Vpeak detection or is there more to it?
  7. gvl

My isolation transformer purchase experience

Today I bought a 1Kw Tripp-Lite isolation transformer from someone living in my immediate area who had it listed it in the local classified ad section. I had no immediate need for it but the price was right and I like the idea of having one in my ever growing collection of things I rarely use...
  8. gvl

12" Klipsch Sub for $150, how bad can it be?

While shopping for a big pack of toilet paper at a local Costco I stumbled upon a 12" Klipsch sub there on sale for $150 and couldn't resist... Model R12-12SW, 400W power claimed and it's a substantial and rather nice looking ported box. Klipsch and Costco is not a very promising start, bad how...
  9. gvl

Any DIY SET tube amp recommendations?

I know, I know. But I'm curious and it sounds like a fun project and I have some efficient Klipsch speakers to pair it with. Any recommendations for a public domain schematic that is worth to spend time and reasonable amount of money on?
  10. gvl

Do mobile providers throttle Spotify streams?

So I recently switched to an AT&T entry-level unlimited plan from a capped one because my family would burn through any pre-allocated limit and now my Spotify sounds like crap when streaming over wireless, my guess it is the "Low" 24kbps stream as 96kbps generally sounds ok. Tried switching the...
  11. gvl

SOLD [Topping DX7s DAC/Headphone amp] SOLD

Topping Dx7s. Good shape, everything works. Power, stock USB cable, 1/4" to 3.5mm headphone adapter included. No remote. Yours for $250 all-inclusive shipped to CONUS. Priced to sell.
  12. gvl

The N-Amping thread

Let's first cover the basics. Should one bother?
  13. gvl

Nelson Pass amps

Any opinions? Nelson is certainly no fool and a well respected subject expert, but my impression he's more in the "sounds good" than in the "measures good" camp. Just trying to place the "NP" brand in the right perspective for myself.
  14. gvl

A cost no object ideal Analog Reconstruction Filter - is it a thing?

The endless agonizing about oversampling digital interpolation filters and how they can badly affect the sound leaves one wondering if it is possible to create an ideal analog filter that would make a digital filter unnecessary. The common knowledge tells us that digital filters were introduced...
Top Bottom