Search results

1. KeithPhantom

Help understanding input sensitivity and power calculations.

I am illiterate in electrical and electronic engineering, so I barely know Ohm's law, so bear with me. I am trying to calculate the best gain settings when using the A90 Discrete with the D90SE in 5.1V mode. I am using this image: I want to calculate the best gain possible if my DAC can...
  2. KeithPhantom

What’s better: a “more-correct” reconstruction filter or THD vs. frequency performance?

I have the habit of choosing “brickwall” filters when setting up my DAC, but when looking at measurements, filters that are -100 dBFS at 22 kHz usually have worse THD vs. Freq performance than slower filters (the ones at -100 dBFS at 24 kHz). I think this is due to the wideband harmonic...
  3. KeithPhantom

How variable are Audeze headphones in terms of frequency response? How does it affect equalization?

In my search for great transducers to EQ and enjoy music with, I have found some brands better than others in objective measurements such as frequency response, distortion, resonances, etc. I always found Audeze’s transducers to be extremely good to EQ, even when being open-back. Their only...
  4. KeithPhantom

FS: Topping A50s (USA)

I am selling my faithful Topping A50s since I moved to a wireless chain and don’t really need the amplifier. The amplifier has never failed and it is in great condition. PM me for more details; pictures attached below. The starting price is $70 + $15 of shipping.
  5. KeithPhantom

What are the best/worst driver designs for headphones?

I have been thinking about headphone drivers/transducers that regardless of frequency response if fixed by EQ (assuming other measurements to be good enough), they became great. One of these examples is the AirPods Max, it is a pretty accomplished driver but its frequency response curve is not...
  6. KeithPhantom

What is more important to you: frequency response or imaging/soundstage?

For me, I prefer headphones/speakers that have the correct frequency response even if I have to forfeit some of the imaging/spatial qualities of sound. What do you prefer?
  7. KeithPhantom

Good measuring USB-C to 3.5mm dongle other than the Apple one?

I am looking for some recommendations on the topic of USB-C to 3.5mm dongles. They have to measure well, and please do not recommend the Apple one; I won't use the Apple one because it is too flimsy for my use case and I need something sturdier, also, I don't like Apple's business practices, and...
  8. KeithPhantom

FS: Focal Clear Professional

I am selling my Focal Clear Professional since I prefer my HD 600 with some EQ. I am selling them for $1,200. I am also the first owner. They were bought new from an authorized seller and carry a 2-year warranty. Payment will be through Paypal and I only ship to the continental US.
  9. KeithPhantom

What’s up with this guy? He’s making objectivists look bad

This guy literally reviews headphones he’s never listened based on FR graphs, like they’re perfect and can tell you an absolute truth. This is when we can’t agree upon the method and the standard to follow when measure headphones. He also regards the DT999 as “perfect” in one of his videos, but...
  10. KeithPhantom

Headphone with these characteristics under $1,500

I have the LCD-2 Fazor and the ATH-MSR7 as my only headphones with a Sanskrit Mk. II and a Heresy DAC and amplifier respectively. But, I am going to sell all except the MSR7 because the LCD-2 is way too heavy for long-term use and I also want some mobility with them. I would stay with the MSR7...
  11. KeithPhantom

Why aren't many solid-state based electrostatic amplifiers, specially for headphones?

Right now I'm in the market for a Stax SR-009(S) and I'm in the search for an amplifier to go with it. My issue is there are a lot of tube (valve)-based ones, and this is a deal-breaker for me. I'm not assuming those valve amplifiers measure bad (we just don't know), I just do not like valves...
  12. KeithPhantom

Why Audio Science Review's measurements are so different compared to other sources?

When researching for measurements I have seen multiple websites and sources that provide these. This is one of those websites directed by its creator Amir. He is really knowledgeable guy which his posts have taught me a lot of audio processing and measurement, but something I have noticed is how...
  13. KeithPhantom

So many tuning/equalization curves, what are their characteristics, similarities, and differences?

When researching about transducers, sometimes you can find some terms such as "free field" and "diffuse field" curves. Also, there is the famous Harman curve which is based on the statistical preference of both trained listeners and the general public. Headphones such as the HD 800 are designed...
Top Bottom