Search results

1. R

Mixing Speaker Brands

Being a long time follower on this thread, I wanted to get some insights from the ASR community on mixing speaker brands. Most traditional advice suggests mixing speaker brands in a home theater is not preferred, because differences in timbre or other characteristics of the speaker would...
  2. R

KEF R series (2018) vs REFERENCE(2014?!)

Well thats good, sounds like your pretty happy with your set up. To answer your 3 initial questions, from my interpretations of the measurements and personal experience living with all 3 of the speakers in question… Is the 2018 R series more advanced than reference series? No, I don’t believe...
  3. R

KEF R series (2018) vs REFERENCE(2014?!)

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I have owned Ref 5's (non-meta) and R3's for years. Reference series undoubtedly measure slightly better. Many people conflate 12th generation UniQ as better than 8th gen or whatever is in the Reference. The generation is only in reference to which was...
  4. R

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

I asked this same question on one of the neumann threads and got alot of great responses… My summary, good speakers will sound better within the recommended listening range because of the proportion of direct/indirect sounds heard at MLP will be optimized. At far distances it can be difficult...
  5. R

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

Can anyone explain what the difference is between KH 310, KH 310A, KH310 ALG and KH310 ALG CCC?
  6. R

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

This is an interesting thought... Let me know if I am understanding this correctly... Looking over the Genelec webpage, they identify a "critical" distance as the distance at which reflected sounds dominate over the direct sound. I thought provided a smooth up sloping sound power curve, a...
  7. R

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

I've been dreaming of a Neumann speaker for a whiles, but I have always had one hesitation... Can anyone postulate why Neumann recommends such short listening distances for the KH 120II (1m-2m) and KH150 (1m-2.5m)? Is it just a matter of achieving reference level SPL or are there other...
  8. R

Target Room Response and Cinema X-curve

I have always struggled with one question I have always had when calibrating for home theater and music, is how to compensate for fletcher-munson curves for low frequencies when increasing volume? This is room and speaker depending, but when I calibrate by system using Dirac I use a harman...
  9. R

Neumann vs KEF for Home Theater

Just got a new home and have an opportunity to rebuild/rearrange my home theater set up. Pretty clear winners here from Amir's reviews and I already own a few speakers, so I am comparing the following options for living room and home theater I already own in my current home theater/multimedia...
  10. R

KEF Reference 5 VS Blade 2 vs Muon

I see. I have a follow up question... With the dip it makes the curves seem to converge around 1Khz before gradually separating. All together this makes it appear less of a smooth, gradual decline to me relative to the Reference series at these 45-75 degree off angles. Excluding the dip in...
  11. R

KEF Reference 5 VS Blade 2 vs Muon

Hey Guys, What are your thoughts on this measured directivity error with the Blades relative to Reference series? I tried to get more information on this when purchasing my speakers (I own Reference 5s) and concluded that the opposing drivers on blades were creating a directivity error...
  12. R

Timber/Timbre/Tymber/Tymmer matching for surround speakers

I would disagree with SVS on this. They seem to be following older recommendations from before ATMOS. I would argue that the final arbiter on this for home theater would be Dolby, since the majority of block buster movies use Dolby ATMOS algorithms. From my understanding, Dolby assumes...
  13. R

Timber/Timbre/Tymber/Tymmer matching for surround speakers

Where did you get the impression that surround speakers should be 2 ft above listener ears? My interpretation from the Dolby site is that they should be at ear level. Also for surround speakers I think you will be surprised how little content they actually play during movies. When they do its...
Top Bottom