Search results

1. Aerith Gainsborough

Ending the Windows Audio Quality Debate

Correct. The actual stats are complete overkill, so it's audibly transparent. If you are interested, their manual is really well done and contains a lot of neat background info. Definitely worth a read!
  2. Aerith Gainsborough

Yes, because available processing power limits you in many ways. One example: limited amount of bands available. The more complex the correction you want to do, the sooner you'll bump your head against that limit. Another example: limits in regards to what sample rates can be processed via...
  3. Aerith Gainsborough

Not worse in terms of audio quality but it is more limited due to less available processing power / memory. Hard to compete with the resources of a fully fledged PC in a small standalone device even with custom FPGA. :'D
  4. Aerith Gainsborough

Which speaker is the best one?

With proper settings, this is a non-issue. You can extend your low-end w/o having to blast your neighbors. Of course you have to forego 20Hz tactile bass response in movies in an apartment but a solid extension down to 30Hz for music is possible. I am an apartment dweller and have been doing...
  5. Aerith Gainsborough

(Europe) Master Deals Thread on Audio Product Sales

Did they sell these at a loss?! Can't imagine them being THAT cheap in production. Congrats to whomever managed to snag one.
  6. Aerith Gainsborough

The Case Against OLED

If you only refer to color / white point calibration: yes. Though external hardware is needed that may be more expensive than the TV itself. What you absolutely cannot "correct" for are the inherent weaknesses of each tech like blooming around bright objects on full array LEDs or limited...
  7. Aerith Gainsborough

The Case Against OLED

Calibrated, display technologies should look very similar in regards to white balance and colors (assuming both are wide-gamut displays). The obvious differences come from each technologies particular strengths and weaknesses: OLED: small bright objects on dark backgrounds w/o visible light...
  8. Aerith Gainsborough

The Case Against OLED

Obviously LCD's backlights age too. Every illuminant does. LEDs especially if they are driven hard / get hot. It's the main reason why I don't think µLED will be the "God walking on water" everyone thinks they will be. I've seen tons of blue anorganic LEDs fail way before their green/red...
  9. Aerith Gainsborough

The Case Against OLED

Well to have realistic HDR, you need far more than 1.5K nits. I don't know the exact value myself but when you want to have the sun-lit entrance, viewed from some dark cave you need something like 4000+? IIRC, 4000 or 10000 was the limit HDR material is currently mastered to but the panel...
  10. Aerith Gainsborough

The Case Against OLED

I do not own an OLED. My LED blasts me like a flashbang in a dark room but I pay for that with backlight bleeding around bright objects. No matter how you slice it: current display technologies are all compromises. Pick your poison accordingly.
  11. Aerith Gainsborough

The Case Against OLED

Think of it like "background listening" vs "critical listening". You don't do it all the time but when you really want to enjoy the cinematography, especially in low light scenes, the ambient light simply has to go. Low light scenes and darkened rooms are also where backlight related LED...
  12. Aerith Gainsborough

The Case Against OLED

To be honest: who the hell watches movies in a brightly lit room? That's no fun at all, no matter the panel, especially when you factor in nasty screen reflections. It's like saying Focal sounds better than Elac .... when I put them on a construction site. :'D
  13. Aerith Gainsborough

The Case Against OLED

Yeah I can see that being an issue long term, especially in HDR mode when they think the subs need to be always displayed with the brightness of the sun. >.< Uuh... you can always "mute" the display while the music is running, there is no need for the TV to stay on once you created your...
  14. Aerith Gainsborough

The Case Against OLED

You have to punish modern OLED devices pretty hard (always max brightness and hours of the same program per day) or use them for non intended things like a computer monitor that mostly displays static content to run into the "burn-in" problem. In normal movie watching conditions, image...
  15. Aerith Gainsborough

The Case Against OLED

I'm not a photographer but even I noticed the hilariously oversaturated colors when I was shopping for my TV 5 years ago. Especially on OLEDs. OLED is superior to LED if the task is small bright objects on a dark background. No matter how you slice it, LED cannot compete due to backlight bleed...
  16. Aerith Gainsborough

RME announces app control for RME Adi-2 series

Depends on your media player. E.g.: Foobar needs an ASIO plugin for it to show up in the device selection. Install Madiface driver Install Foobar ASIO plugin (or plugin for your media player of choice unless it can handle ASIO natively) Select ASIO-Madiface as output device in your media...
  17. Aerith Gainsborough

RME announces app control for RME Adi-2 series

Uuuh... use ASIO? Mine switches immediately.
  18. Aerith Gainsborough

More nonsense on Agon

Absolutely true. I think for a true believer, resisting attempts of "coercion" and standing their ground is part of the whole point of believing. Humans are really weird in this regard, especially once they found a few peers that share their belief and create an echo chamber. Do I think every...
  19. Aerith Gainsborough

More nonsense on Agon

Considering we are talking about a field of objective science, can we really let people off the hook that easily? One could say, if you market stuff, you have a position of certain responsibility. You can no longer just rely on your own beliefs and preferences. You have to make sure to give the...
  20. Aerith Gainsborough

Focal Aria 906 Speaker Review

Hmm, the plugs were a pain to remove (knife is mandatory) but I use Bananas on my Arias. I think I bought them in uuuh... before Covid, 2019? Sheesh that long ago already. :X Guess I had one of them 2018 production batches.
Top Bottom