Search results

1. baoshan

Introducing the New Tonal App

Thanks for the points! I try. You can play the whole album, all tracks “Bax”, or just the “Symphony” by tapping different lines. This may not be what you asked for, please continue reading. For those who treat Ravel’s orchestration as a separate work, he/she can verify that in the...
  2. baoshan

Thanks for that suggestion, which is indeed what I need to do! I can see many ASR users love classical music and deal with music tags seriously. I failed to make them resonate with the way Tonal handles music metadata.
  3. baoshan

Hommage to you, Sir. I marketed it in the wrong way. .tonal is indeed a container format containing pure FLAC (for PCM) or WavPack (for DSD) blocks generated using the same encoders/parameters. FLAC and WavPack are not only audio file formats but also mature codecs that can compress/decompress...
  4. baoshan

.tonal audio format is not introduced to include metadata —— it contains absolutely no music metadata. My seven reasons for .tonal are listed in my response to your critique No. 1. Thank you for this suggestion; I will consider it carefully.
  5. baoshan

Your points are very concrete. I can only be grateful for such concrete points. Thank you! The old version was designed by an experienced typographer in 2014. For the new version, you can see I put lots of effort into handling details in typography, especially for classical music. Example here...
  6. baoshan

I am not a user of Roon, but I am trying to answer this question. Below are some features that may differentiate Tonal: Verify your red-book rips using AccurateRip Repair broken rips using CUETools Support .cue sheet with a single audio file (please correct me if Roon is capable of that) SACD...
  7. baoshan

Do you like the old version? For the new one, I gave it an anonymous but native feeling. Defining how it works is more important than defining how it looks, at least for the prime time. This is very important and fundamental. Please understand I need to pitch the more fundamental things (audio...
  8. baoshan

Here are my late thoughts: Say I want to curate an audiophile music collection of a higher standard or larger scale. I hope my audio files are: Consistent as far as encoders and encoding parameters be concerned. I see such diversity as technically unnecessary. I prefer consistency when...
  9. baoshan

My original thread was posted in this computers and streamers subforum. If this is not allowed, can a moderator helps me do that? Or can you tell me how to do that? Thank you.
  10. baoshan

For members of the ASR community who gave Tonal a try in 2018 and left feedback (positive or negative), I would like to offer a free redemption code to express my deepest gratitude (PM me with a link or screenshot). I hope you can write an objective and positive review for the new Tonal app...
  11. baoshan

I am presenting the new Tonal app for macOS (the old one here), which defines a better way to build and experience your audiophile music collection. To structure Tonal’s specifications and features in a compact yet engaging way, I list ten opinionated principles for good (software audiophile)...
  12. baoshan

Introducing Tonal – A Minimalist Music App for Collectors and Audiophiles

Thanks to @BE718 for mentioning the great app Roons. I’m posting the same album rendered by both Roons and Tonal. This is not saying one is better than another, just a different taste I think.
  13. baoshan

Thanks for your reply! I agree with what you said. Tonal is an integrated app combining features offered by several separate software. Plus, a new metadata engine which at least is different from current solutions. The screenshot attached feels more natural to some users I surveyed. I’m not...
  14. baoshan

I’m sorry for another reply. There’re 3 articles explaining the internals of Tonal and how the decisions we made make a difference: Part 1: Audio Data — White-Glove Service for Your Collection Part 2: Music Metadata — The New, Old Problem Part 3: Playback Engine — Demystifying the “Black Art”...
  15. baoshan

Hello, BE718! Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Tonal does these things which Roon lacks: Audio verification by AccurateRip and CUETools, which ensures all your cloud-hosted audios are perfect without glitches. Metadata. Personally, I believe the screenshots I presented demonstrated a...
  16. baoshan

If your disc has no compact disc (physical) counterpart, it may be missing from our underlying data sources. Metadata need be manually compiled, which takes time. I’m the only metadata contributor for now. :P
  17. baoshan

I’ll do some homework and report back. Thank you very much for the valuable information.
  18. baoshan

.aiff files are supported. Please forgive me for I don’t know the .aif format. Could you provide more detail?
  19. baoshan

Hello, svart-hvitt! Thank you for your great suggestion. I can see your point! I would like to offer a button (or a similar approach) to cache albums you specified locally, within the Tonal app. You can play cached albums even without an internet connection. Currently, I’m not very interested...
  20. baoshan

Haha, Frank! I’m so happy you think the metadata engine is promising. I’m motivated to bring the metadata part to your music experience! An algorithm is trained to create the initial version of the metadata, from several data sources. From there, a community of contributors will improve the...
Top Bottom