Search results

1. J

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

Perhaps you could say that I am a fan. World's greatest living jazz singer-songwriter, imho. Perhaps Cecile McLorin-Salvant might equal her someday. Please note that the category is narrower than appears at first blush.
  2. J

Especially for you kids who succumbed to the temptation of the first marshmallow and thus lost getting two marshmallows if you'd only have waited, here is the finale movement of an Indian classical music performance by singer Kaushiki Chakraborty and her instrumental collaborators. This took...
  3. J

Current music from and about Ukraine and its people- no politics, please.

I was just about to create a new post for the performances below of Skoryk's moving Melody when I noticed you had already posted Hrustevich's excellent performance. Ukrainian composer Myroslav Skoryk composed "Melody" for the soundtrack of the 1982 movie "High Pass" directed by Volodymyr...
  4. J

Unnamed musicians on the YouTube channel "D.R.A.M.A." with a mesmerizing interpretation of Shervin Hajipour's moving song "Baraye". The close-miked singer's voice and delivery are spellbinding. Wish I knew her name so I could listen to every song she has ever recorded. For an English...
  5. J

Male vocals

This is the year. This is the year in which Shervin Hajipour taught us that prepositions too can move us to tears. Here, he tells us some uses of the preposition "Baraye" ("For"). He used some of the wording from people's tweets (which are seen on-screen in the video) as the basis for his...
  6. J

Remembering the actress Meena Kumari (1 August 1933 to 31 March 1972, nee Mahjabeen Bano). A sublime song (Chalte Chalte Yun Hi Koi) and scene from the movie masterpiece Pakeezah which premiered on 3 February 1972, a few weeks before Meena died at the age of 38. She won four Filmfare awards...
  7. J

The always unassuming Shreya Ghoshal is a singer and film song recording artist, and now a composer too. According to the Wikipedia page on Shreya, since 1998 she has recorded over 2400 songs, and sung professionally in over 20 languages. The soundtrack of the movie Bhool Bhulaiyaa was sung by...
  8. J

Cover me I'm going in! - Post your favorite song covers.

Four relatively recent takes on the Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit (composed by Grace Slick), followed by a performance by the Jefferson Airplane themselves: The Cave Dwellers (founded 1964 in Chicago): Elephant Revival: Jansheer: Jordin Laine, solo from her Halloween-themed bedroom...
  9. J

The YouTube vlogger "Anna from Ukraine" began vlogging on YT after the war began. She has a Ph.D. in linguistics, but she vlogs daily more broadly about the culture and history of Ukraine and the surrounding countries, and sometimes about the current situation. In the vlog 52 linked below...
  10. J

Farewell my friends. Health is deteriorating - I'm fading out. (Updated - RIP)

Your humanity and common-sense shine through your posts on ASR, as I am certain they do in your offline life. Glad to know that life has been good to you. May you be able to meet the end, whenever it should come and later rather than sooner I hope, with the same quiet dignity that marks...
  11. J

Sofia Shkidchenko aged 14 yodels some. Tetiana Mazur and her parents sing "Chervona Ruta", accompanying themselves on bandura and sopilka. Luiku have fun playing "Carpathian Flowers". The lengths some fans will go to, in order to attend a concert, honestly ... The Dooh sing "Tick"...
  12. J

Nataliya Gudziy sings and accompanies herself most skilfully on bandura, with some other musicians on some songs. Requiem for Kotlyarevskii: Mother's Song: Boots aka Dancing Girl: White Wings aka Bird Of Love aka Peace On Wing: A concert by Nataliya, for Ukraine:
  13. J

In 1916, Mykola Leontovych composed his most famous music work, the choral miniature "Shchedryk" (known in English as The Little Swallow. This is a work much beloved in Ukraine, and also around the world as its melody was later used for the popular Christmas carol "Carol of the Bells"...
  14. J

New Movies that moved You!

Not exactly new, but maybe new to you. In "Happy Times" (aka Happy Times Hotel), a bunch of unemployed dirty old men, who are cronies, lure a beautiful teenage orphan girl who is blind, into renting a "room" in their nonexistent motel. They build a ramshackle makeshift room to trick her. They...
  15. J

Pop-folk & other Balkan music

Famous Greek singer Glykeria puts a very young Areti Ketime in the limelight, together singing the traditional song "Sala Sala". Areti already shows her big talent and musical maturity at such a young age. Among notables in the small audience is Omar Faruk Tekbilek. Areti Ketime is obviously...
  16. J

"Coolest" Song You've Heard

In 1954, singer Peggy Lee (born Norma Deloris Egstrom in Sweden) and Victor Young composed "Johnny Guitar" for the soundtrack of the movie Johnny Guitar starring Joan Crawford. The song played in the movie was sung by Peggy Lee. Normally, when one thinks of Peggy Lee, "Fever" or "Black Coffee"...
  17. J

"Coolest" Song You've Heard

I am free-associating on the words "coolest song". In 1973, Johnny Mercer composed the theme song to Robert Altman's movie The Long Goodbye. Altman and Mercer collaboratively came up with the fairly unique approach of using a single theme in various vocal and instrumental incarnations and...
  18. J

Anti-War Songs

Yesterday, Nataliya Gudziy posted to YT this video of herself in 2016 singing "Melodiya dushi" (Melody of the Soul) at the Kyiv National Operetta Theater:
  19. J

Latin music & artists

An extraordinary CD album composed by a group 3 Na Massa, showcasing 13 Brazilian female vocal talents. I think I bought three copies of the actual CD over several years. Here is Nina Miranda singing "Morada Boa" Here is Pitty singing "Lagrimas Preitas" in a live performance. Here is the...
  20. J

Latin music & artists

Here is Huguette Tourangeau in a performance of "Cancion del fuego fatuo" (Song of the Firefly) from de Falla's El Amor Brujo. I was lucky enough to see Carlos Saura's movie of the ballet multiple times in an art-house theater soon after its release. Here is Estrella Morente in a performace...
Top Bottom