Search results

1. Shike

NHT C3 Review (3-way speaker)

I'd say it entirely depends on your needs. It's the most affordable 3-way bookshelf with really good directivity. Pair it with a good sub and DSP and it will likely perform fine in small to medium rooms. On the other had you can get Revel's for a similar price (M16) which perform better...
  2. Shike

JBL AC25 Speaker Review

All I can say is this is really weird, I hope the owner has been notified to check/follow-up with JBL. If they have two of the same speakers and a umik it might even help just for a quick sanity check to compare samples in a rough manner to see if the FR/distortion is that wonky on both. On...
  3. Shike

JBL AC25 Speaker Review

Hmm, plot thickens? The spec sheet for the speaker can be found here and on the second page it says: Sooo . . . something isn't adding up. In fact the spec sheet makes no mention of FIR filters at all. I might be going on a limb here saying this, but maybe there is something wrong with that...
  4. Shike

JBL AC25 Speaker Review

Honestly I think this model was basically desperation to create the smallest thing in the line they could. My guess is they couldn't make a compression driver friendly guide for the footprint they wanted with the 5.25" drivers and unfortunately they cobbled a guide on that met...
  5. Shike

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Most people disagree and believe this deserves the fucking guillotine (headless panther) so . . . Literally the only thing goes for these is low distortion. Everything else feels like a cruel joke at this price point.
  6. Shike

Grado SR60x Review (on ear headphone)

I have the original SR-60 still with some aftermarket pads. I remember disliking them due to treble at one point but after some new pads that are thicker the treble seemed tamed (enough) in comparison to the bass. For me the good aspects are comfort (XXL head so easy bending bands are good)...
  7. Shike

JBL SRX835P Reviewed (Powered Monitor)

The fact is that there's PA speakers that fit different intended purposes. This seems willing to sacrifice fidelity for higher output above all else. I personally use JBL AC26 & AC28 for my primary listening system with EQ. The bass is a rolled off requiring a subwoofer for full-range usage...
  8. Shike

Emotiva XPA-DR2 Review (Stereo Power Amplifier)

It strikes me as odd Emotiva would allow a design with issues to get out the door like this, they used to publish APA measurements on all their designs but I guess they've decided they aren't relevant/worth it?
  9. Shike

Polk Legend L800 Tower Measurements

I'm a huge fan of crosstalk cancellation tech. Polk was the first to really introduce a solution with SDA, Carver followed up with Sonic Holography, Ambiophonics then came into the picture being promoted by Ralph Glasgal offering a compelling solution to fix some of the shortcomings, and...
  10. Shike

Philips Fidelio X2HR Review (headphone)

They sound "okay" with plush comfort pads (no donuts), but as I said it's more a comfort thing. The AKG K6/7 series for example have gliders that break with use on my head. To give you an idea on my head size, I had to bend ATH-A990Z wider from AT to fit my head (normally these are so big they...
  11. Shike

Philips Fidelio X2HR Review (headphone)

Having a XXL head I actually find Sennheiser some of the least comfortable while Grado can be bent to shape. If I could get the sound of Senns with the fit of Grado I absolutely would . . .
  12. Shike

omnidirectional loudspeakers = best design available

Let's walk through this objectively: I think we can agree that any good 3-way should have good horizontal dispersion, let's take the NHT C3 for example. Soundstage measured it here. Compare the on-axis sound level to the 60 and 75 degree levels. We're seeing 5-8dB down easily before 1Khz...
  13. Shike

There's definitely better options if you can control everything, you won't get an argument from me there. If you can't move furniture though and have coverage issues omni can be a band-aid or nuclear option. This would of course only pertain to small room HT, like a modest living room or den...
  14. Shike

That's not what's being said, I'm referring to coverage issues in home theater (3.1 and above) Say you have a home theater with a dedicated center - this is used for dialogue 99.9% of the time. Intelligibility of the center is critical for movies. In-spite of this many living rooms (IME)...
  15. Shike

This isn't pedantry, it's discussion about real world usage and where omni can serve a benefit for a specific application. In applications where levels and coverage need to be consistent omni does well, and center channel dialogue is a good example especially for sub-par room layouts with...
  16. Shike

Yes, do you read what's written before responding? We're talking about home theater usage specifically in relation to dialogue. As such I'm baffled as to what it has to do with music. Care to fill me in on how that's suddenly relevant to the conversation?
  17. Shike

Are you really going to argue that there isn't an issue with these speakers in terms of level at 60~75 degrees off-axis compared to the direct sound? 3dB can make a large difference in intelligibility, a common reason center levels are often run hot for example. Have you actually had to deal...
  18. Shike

Yes and no. Under controlled circumstances where someone isn't off at an absurd angle this is an option. When the seating does have such angles though, to where the off-axis levels drop to much, omnis have a distinct advantage. For example when I was a kid and we watched movies I would easily...
  19. Shike

I've had a couple omni speakers over the years. A full Mirage Omnisat V2 setup (using FS fronts) and Ohm Walsh 2's IIRC. The Ohm suffered beaming due to its cone tweeter. So the only "true" omni I tried would be the Mirage's. They did some things right. They were easy to place, created...
  20. Shike

Complaint thread about speaker measurements

This feels like a bad episode of Whose Line is it Anyway. When I suggest your reviews I will be very clear as to proper use cases based on measurements and notate panthers only express your feelings based on your usage alone. Again, this has gone on way to long. Merry Christmas.
Top Bottom