Search results

1. D

Driver grilles - effect on sonics?

How much effect do mesh grilles have on driver response? Logic dictates that they'll cause some amount of interference that creates comb filtering, but how much does it actually matter? Same question goes for tweeters with plastic diffusers.
  2. D

Dunlavy Speakers

Anybody know anything about these? A mastering engineer friend swears by them (I think he uses SC-Vs), but I can't say I've ever heard them. What's their claim to fame?
  3. D

Speakers that don't seem to match their measurements

By which I mean, what are some speakers that sound good in spite of measuring not great, or speakers that sound pretty not good in spite of their near-perfect measurements? Let's limit to the ASR battery of tests. I had a fascinating experience with this recently - mostly, sonics matched...
  4. D

Speaker stands for large standmounts

For speakers that are in that gap between compact standmounts and true floorstanders, what are you all using for stands? Think KH420, Wharfedale Linton, that kind of size. Clearly too big for typical stands, but also too short to be right on the floor and have good alignment with the acoustic axis.
  5. D

Making a trip to LA to try some speakers at Vintage King

I'm looking for upgrades to my KH310s - which is a tall order, FWIW, they're very good for how much they cost. Here's what I'm after: - Full range sans subs - Enough SPL capability to not need subs to be reasonably clean - My room is very well treated, so ultra-controlled directivity is not a...
  6. D

A cloud is the single most important acoustic treatment. Change my mind.

Given that almost all non-coaxial speakers have pretty nasty cancellations around the crossover(s), it stands to reason that fairly heavy absorption hanging from the ceiling to heavily reduce the ceiling ER is much more important than any side wall or rear wall treatment, regardless of...
  7. D

SOLD!!!: MiniDSP 4x10HD DSP crossover

Used this for crossovers to my sub and corrective EQ. Works great both analog I/O over RCA or balanced via Phoenix terminal blocks - including the XLR to Phoenix adapters I built. Also has AES and SPDIF (over both coaxial or Toslink) I/O. For measurements, see...
  8. D

SOLD: RME ADI-2 Pro FS plus rack adapters

This is the silverface version of the Pro FS, so it uses the AK4490. Includes rack adapters. Asking $1500 shipped CONUS. Lived in my rack the entire time I've owned it so it's essentially mint condition. Can include TOSLink cables if desired for no cost.
  9. D

Is there a speaker more useful for me than the D&D 8C?

So, I'm planning out a whole new studio space. Primarily I will be mastering in it. I'm factoring in, at a later date, new speakers (my KH310s will be more than fine to start with). I'd be listening between 1.5-2 meters away. I'll be using a Lynx Aurora (n) 8, to which Lynx is adding speaker...
  10. D

Griffin speakers?

Has anybody else here other than me listened to these? They're the only speakers I'm aware of that use a planar magnetic tweeter. I wasn't particularly a fan, and I think they're just a pretty poor design... but maybe someone else here feels otherwise. https://www.griffinaudio.no/
  11. D

Lynx Aurora(n) 8 - thoughts?

So, I'm looking at moving my interface stuff all into one box. As it stands I have stuff spread across my RME adi-2 Pro FS (monitoring), which is hooked into my HDSPe AIO PCIe card via spdif optical, and the balanced I/O on the HDSPe is being used for my hardware loop. This is clunky and...
  12. D

"plasticky" Neumanns?

A common complaint I hear about Neumann monitors is that they're "plasticky" and "2-dimensional". This, across multiple different groups who have never interacted with one another. So, what is it that would cause this? I'm sure this is a measurable phenomenon.
  13. D

Proper bass trapping

So I'm looking for actual, no-BS bass traps. I'm talking sub-100hz. This, to me, means pressure traps (diaphragmatic and/or limp mass membrane traps). Are there any on the market pre-made that are any good, or am I looking at DIY only? And before anybody asks, "But why don't you just use EQ?"...
  14. D

Ex Machina Pulsar MkII review (via EAC)

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/ex_machina_pulsar_mkii/ Summary of Erin's thoughts: Personally, from the data... Not that impressed.
  15. D

What is the worst speaker you've ever heard?

We talk about the best speakers all the time. What are the worst you've heard and what made them so bad? Ed.: I thought I wouldn't need to mention multimedia or PC speakers were probably always going to be terrible so I didn't mention them, but yeah, disregarding those... For me, two speakers...
  16. D

Genelec 1237A vs Neumann KH420

So these two are roughly the same size, roughly the same design goal. Obviously the driver sizes are slightly different, so... How do these two compare? ETA: My best guess is the Gennies will go slightly louder but maybe not as much as I think? LFX looks similar. Neumann might have a slight...
  17. D

Let's talk about outboard gear.

What outboard do you own? What do you use it for? ...Has anyone ever spent the time to measure any of the classic pieces? I currently own a Warm Bus Comp, which is more or less a souped-up SSL G comp clone. Very cool piece of gear, more intuitive to dial than any plugin.
  18. D

Neve 88M interface

https://www.ams-neve.com/88m/ Looks interesting; specs aren't amazing though +10dBu into 150R is about 400mW which is solid. Plus, bus powered and preamps with nearly 70dB of gain.
  19. D

Monitor controller advice

I'm looking for a monitor controller, ideally as transparent as possible. I only really need to feed two sets of monitors - my KH310s with a sub, and a second more bass challenged "grotbox" pair which I have yet to choose. Here's the issue: I want it to be rackmount with a remote, ideally. I...
  20. D

KS Digital monitors

https://ksd-audio.de Anybody ever heard of these? I can't find the scale for the frequency response graphs, but they seem to be remarkably flat on-axis. I'd be curious to see what happens on a Klippel with the A200 Mk2...
Top Bottom