Search results

1. companyja

Motu M2 Review (Audio Interface)

I'm late but the MOTU series uses digital volume attenuation. The channel balance is perfect on the stereo outputs.
  2. companyja

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

The inputs will have gain noise if they're unloaded. As soon as you put an XLR microphone into the jack, that gain noise will disappear. It's normal for the device to be noisy with nothing connected to it
  3. companyja

Adam T8V Studio Monitor Review

You can see the full measured frequency response in this review. Adam also offers their frequency response measurement on their website.
  4. companyja

Basically, if you look at the list and the distances on the right, if you plan to be further away than those distances from the speakers, the hiss will not be reaching you. In personal experience, the hiss is weirdly horizontally directional, if I get my head in certain positions I hear it quite...
  5. companyja

In my personal experience, I have a nasty null at around 70hz so I have some problems with disappearing bass notes in certain situations, but the Adams in my room are comfortably audible down to 30hz. You're getting pretty much full extension, maybe without that last few notes of sub-bass. The...
  6. companyja

It depends for me; if I'm going to go out there and really spend cash, I would always go for a proper 3-way speaker setup instead of even multiple subs that you have to leave space for and mess around with to find the right balance. A lot of people (like myself) just use their rooms to the best...
  7. companyja

I doubt you can get a better balance between flat, extended, precise low-end and sharp, precise, detailed high-end than the T8V, but because of the bigger woofer and sort of high crossover, the woofer can't handle the lower midrange as well as smaller speakers and woofers that don't go as low as...
  8. companyja

Their weakpoint is the lower mids though weak imaging is mostly going to be a room/placement issue - it's likely the adams need to be repositioned to find the same phantom centre/stereo image. I don't know the size of your other speakers but typically bigger nearfields require a bit of distance...
  9. companyja

From what I remember on their youtube channel, they announced the A series which is likely what the technician told you, though they're probably still going to be a price bracket above the T series (which was launched rather recently to be obsoleted)
  10. companyja

I am lucky to have a very quiet room to work with at least, and I've always liked a slient PC with all noctua fans so I'm okay there. I was mostly comparing the sound in the video to the sound of the actual speaker, but comparing it to a pretty okay constructed vintage Sansui, it sounds about...
  11. companyja

In response to this, aside from any comments I want to make about the T8V monitors which I don't want to make before I treat my room acoustically (but at the moment I am properly impressed as-is), when talking about the resonance, he talks about tapping the woofer and it making a ring, audible...
  12. companyja

Ending the Windows Audio Quality Debate

Does anyone know whether pre-mix or post-mix APO alters anything? I for example often play video games and play music at the same time so if I stick my volume at 100% in windows which I do, I like to use a pre-mix APO for my negative preamp since that then creates additional headroom for the...
  13. companyja

Topping E30 DAC Review

This is a bit of a weird one since by altering the volume you are definitionally not doing digitally bit-perfect output; lowering the volume digitally (using the DAC) lowers the bit depth of the signal, so you theoretically lose some SNR. Generally it's easiest to think of it as 1bit = 6dB, so...
  14. companyja

Ending the Windows Audio Quality Debate

To my knowledge, the thing that allows EQ APO to work is that microsoft has added APO support to DirectSound - so you can modify or add audio processing units before or after the mixdown. I'm not aware of any ASIO drivers that support APOs, however there are ASIO drivers that will include their...
  15. companyja

Topping E30 DAC Review

I don't think you can find E30 PCB photos online since the display is glued in and people didn't want to destroy their units. You can be brave and post a picture of your own unit though if you really want to know that badly. Also it's a bit funny to ask for a pic of the PCB when the link on the...
  16. companyja

Topping E30 DAC Review

I dunno if it's been noted here but it seems like they silently revised the E30 from the AK 4118 reciever for SPDIF to a CS8416 chip. I assume there is a shortage of AKM chips that necessitated this change. I don't use SPDIF with my E30 but it might be of note to someone looking to buy it for...
  17. companyja

Topping E30 DAC Review

You can definitely talk about these differences in speakers and headphones. We are especially not that great at measuring headphone frequency responses reliably - and if you look at a headphone mesuarement, there are all these peaks and valleys and shapes on the frequency response - that...
  18. companyja

Topping E30 DAC Review

Hi mate, there are things where measurements will not tell the whole story, such as speakers and headphones. However, for DACs and AMPs, the standard suite of measurements will pretty much tell you what to expect. If you want subjective impressions, you can definitely find them at head-fi, SBAF...
  19. companyja

Topping E30 DAC Review

Here's a somewhat troubling discovery I found - I was applying some EQ with EQ APO for a while and just for fun I wanted to see how badly my phase was butchered since EQ APO uses minimum phase IIR filters - what I discovered, however, is that on the test-run I re-did with the E30/L30 stack and...
  20. companyja

replacing lme49720 for a bluetooth dac

Hello mate, this forum is a wrong place to ask since chip rolling is rather discouraged - if you don't have the proper tools to evaluate what your mod does to the audio (something that can measure THD/IMD/noise), then it's better to not touch the audio circuit - replacing a chip with a more...
Top Bottom