Search results

1. S

Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Player Review

I use subtitles on almost every movie I watch.
  2. S

You press Option and then select Subtitle Settings. It has to be done individually for each disc you're playing. It doesn't remember this setting between viewing sessions (unfortunately).
  3. S

You forgot the most important feature of this player, that you won't find on other brands: 0. On this player, you can change (lower) the luminosity of the subtitles. If you watch HDR/DolbyVision movies with subtitles at the default luminosity, it will totally ruin the picture, especially in...
  4. S

Panasonic DP-UB824 or Sony UBP-X800M2 or ...?

Do you ever use subtitles when watching movies? If so, Panasonic is the one to go for. It lets you adjust the luminance of the subtitles. Without that, the sheer brightness of the subtitles will ruin a lot of HDR/DV movies for you.
  5. S

Marantz SR6014 AVR Review

Did they say anything else than "yeah, that looks about right"? Did they express any disappointment? Were they surprised, or was this as expected for them?
  6. S

Denon AVR-X3600H AV Receiver Review

This is a rookie question, so apologize for that: How can you tell if you're running out of power? Is it something you can hear (speakers or amp clipping), or does it have something to do with how loud you have to set the output of the AVR (like +5 relative dB) to get to the desired volume?
  7. S

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

So still not as good as the X3600H on anything, except for amplifier power?
  8. S

First REW measurements - what am I doing wrong?

This is L+R+subs with 1/3 octave smoothing. Audyssey XT32 reference EQ applied. I appreciate that this is a pretty decent result. If I want to improve this, what should I be looking at?
  9. S

Thanks, will do. That graph is with 1/12 smoothing.
  10. S

I see, that's good to hear. But is it normal that the difference is that large? Looking at the graph from post #11, it's almost 20 dB between the peaks at 40 and 58 Hz, and the dips at 800 and 1200 Hz.
  11. S

What should be the key takeaways from this graph? Is it normal that the response is so much lower from 100 Hz and onwards? Is it because the subs roll off from there? The curve in post #11 is when running stereo with subs (2.1 channels). When running the same sweep on 5.1 channels...
  12. S

Not very impressive, but at least I got my first proper reading. Thanks guys.
  13. S

Figured out the mic. Was a problem with the cable not being properly connected. Ran a full sweep. Got this, looks better:
  14. S

The problem seems to be that the UMIK-1 was not configured properly, so it was the onbord mic on my laptop doing the readings. Have installed ASIO4ALL now, but the UMIK-1 does not show up there. Scratching my head at the moment, trying to figure out how to get the UMIK-1 connected to REW.
  15. S

I think the problem must be that the mic is too sensitive. Is it possible that the mic is broken? It is five years old, and has for some time been stored at sub zero temperatures (celcius). Could that maybe be a cause?
  16. S

Here is the same curve, more compressed.
  17. S

Ran my first 0-200 Hz sweeps today, and got this curve. What am I doing wrong...? It peaks out at 152 dB. Mic used is the UMIK-1.
  18. S

Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD Player Review

This is so true! This is a feature you can't be without if you're watching HDR movies with subtitles. Improves the viewing experience more than any other setting you can tweak.
  19. S

Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD Player Review

If you're only using the player watch movies, feeding an HDMI signal into an AVR, I suppose you wold be just as well off with the cheaper Panasonic DP-UB820?
  20. S

How to Hot Rod a Denon AVR-X3600H?

But it's not about if a particular piece of equipment sounds "good" or "bad", is it? It is about how accurately it can reproduce the content that's on the source (be it streaming or physical media). And that can and should be determined by doing measurements.
Top Bottom